Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner April 2013

Do we need an usher?

kezza3000, 13 October, 2011 at 11:46 Posted on Planning 0 10

As we are having our civil ceremony and reception in same venue there is going to be no transporting people from one place to another, plus we won't be having 'sides' for the ceremony as most of our friends are mutual friends. I had always presumed that directing people to where they needed to be were the main jobs of an usher and because of this we wouldnt need any.

However we went to meet a photographer the other day who seemed quite surprised when I said we just had a best man and no ushers and said that he thought we should have an usher to 'balance out' the bridal party, as I have two bridesmaids, so then the best man and usher could walk them each back down the aisle. I started to look up usher tasks on the internet and realised they do much more than just hand out the order of service and tell people where to sit, and I've started to wonder if we should have an usher.

When my OH chose his best man, he had another friend who I think was hoping to be best man and was probably disappointed that he wasn't asked - I'm sure he would be chuffed if we asked him.

I just wondered how many of you are having / did have usher(s) as well as a best man and what jobs they are doing / did do?

Thank you!

10 replies

Latest activity by nicadele, 13 October, 2011 at 16:00
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I had a big church wedding and no ushers.

We didn't need them. The Best Man looked after the Groom, the CBM looked after me.

The orders of service were handed out by the Best Man and the Groom's brother.

People automatically sat on whichever side they thought they should.

Have one if you want one, not just because the photographer says you should.

• NorthumberlandBride
    NorthumberlandBride ·
    • Hide content

I hadnt even THOUGHT of ushers!

i dont think you need one tbh, but have one if you think you should

thinking of it, i might have my brother as an usher because we have 100 church guests and a best man who knows almost nobody attending and where they should sit lol - also he couldnt organise a p*** up in a brewery.

i always thought the best man was waiting with the groom and the BM walked behind you

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

The ushers are as important as bridesmaids, in my opinion.

What jobs you give them to do, and how much use they may be, is of course different for everyone. Some bridesmaids do a lot in the run up to the day and on the morning, others just turn up and wait to have their hair and make up done.

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think she measn after the ceremony - many people have the bridesmaids pair up with one of the groomsmen for the walk back down the ailse. When I was bridesmaid I had to do a waltz with an usher who I had only met that morning after the first dance. Safe to say, with my two left feet, I was mortified!

If you don't want an usher, then don't have one, but they can be useful, I'm sure. We've got two, although the two we've got are very disorganised and I can imagine it will be their wife and girlfriend who will be organising them to do things! We've asked them purely because my OH is very close to them and wanted to involve them in some way. Saying, that, on the day I am sure they will be great!

• NorthumberlandBride
    NorthumberlandBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ohhhh! Jojo be dum dum!!

lol yes i see.

im thinking of having my brother as an usher and i ahve 2 BM so that woulkd work fine. although i might have 3 or even 4. my mum had 8 bridesmaids and 8 ushers but thats not happening.

the waltz thing sounds terrible! i dont force anyone to dance - apart from my OH whom i will soon own (JOKE!)

• K
    Beginner April 2013
    kezza3000 ·
    • Hide content

Now I've got thinking about it the more I like the idea, I haven't suggested it to my OH yet so I will talk to him and see what he thinks. It would be a nice way to involve his friend plus I think it might be nice for my OH too - I will have two bridesmaids to plan with / get ready with on the day / get excited with, and he would then have two of his mates to plan the stag do and travel with etc in the morning. I don't think there would be a massive amount for an usher to do, but we are having 100 in the day so the best man might need some help!

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

We had 3 ushers. They helped on the day directing people (even though we got married and had the reception at the same place they pointed people towards baby changing toilets and also stood outside and pointed people in)They checked suppliers were on their way and also helped with taxis at the end of the night.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

You don't have to have an usher(s) if you don't want. But if your OH has a friend who is eager to help then it might be worth asking - just in case - then you'll have someone available if help is needed.

My nephew is 'usher', although his role involves nothing more than handing out programs, collecting people for photos and shouting at the top of his voice that the buffet is open. I have also appointed 2 friends as brolly-men and bouncers.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

We are having our ceremony and reception in one venue and are not having Ushers as OH doesn't see the point with only 60 guests. He is however having 2 Best Men and a close friend to organise the Speeches after the meal. I will just get them to help do any directing, errands if necessary although we have a co-ordinator and staff there who run the day so shouldn't be necessary as we are the only event and guests in the venue that weekend.

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    nicadele ·
    • Hide content

We are having 2 ushers that are my 2 brothers as OH doesnt have any and also doesnt want to ask his other friend as he thinks it is an insult to him not being best man! I told him to have both of them but he decided against this!

Dont have them if you dont want/need them! We have 100 guests coming to the day so it will be beneficial to us plus on the morning of the wedding they will be doing things like collecting flowers from me for button holes and also showing people where they can park etc as well as showing people where to sit etc. I dont think they both realise this lol!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics