Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner September 2011

Do we need canapes?

blueeyedgirl, 17 February, 2011 at 13:35 Posted on Planning 0 11

My OH and me disagree so thought would get your advice ladies.

Ceremony is at 3pm and 3 course meal + cake will be about 5.30/6pm. We were thinking of serving canapes and drinks in the garden about 3.30pm while photos are taken.

My view is thats its an event and I want guests to be pampered and looked after, plus I hate being hungry and people might not have had time to eat before they come over. OH says we dont need them.

Thoughts?

11 replies

Latest activity by IDoWeddings, 18 February, 2011 at 14:50
  • M
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsLove ·
    • Hide content

I am in a similar boat - have considered canapes as my church wedding is at 1 then get to the venue about 3 but then we r having pics and doing the speeches first so the men don't get too nervous....think canapes are a must as my guests will be passing out!!

I would say for your wedding if you want to pamper your guests and feel canapes would be a good idea then go for it - men are always looking for saving money and doing things in a simple way - if u really want them then I am sure he won't be bothered! ?

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

Didn't you post this identical message a short while ago?

I did a similar thread yesterday - https://www.hitched.co.uk/Chat/forums/t/218544.aspx

which may help you?

x

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Canapes are never necessary, but are a very nice added touch. Having said that, if I'm expected to wait around for hours before the wedding breakfast, canapes are very much appreciated!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

With those timings, I would not have them. Your guests will have had lunch before they get there and will be eating dinner at an early time for dinner (iyswim). If you give them canapes they will be stuffed and some of your lovely wedding breakfast may be wasted.

Think about it... if you normally eat lunch at about 12:30pm, and you know you will be having an early dinner at 5:30pm, would you really want or need extra food in the middle?

Pamper them with a glass of champers instead maybe? Or have tea and coffee, as a guest I would appreciate that, maybe with some little biscuits.

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content

As a guest, I wouldn't expect to have canapes at a later wedding and would of probably had a late brunch before arriving.

I am getting married at 1pm so am having canapes to keep people full until we sit down at around 3.30-4.00

If its cost you can afford then go for it, but otherwise I would say its not needed.

• IDoWeddings
    IDoWeddings ·
    • Hide content

To be honest I thought about this as well but also because the venue we have has very expensive canapes.

I found a great alternative - strawberries. We are having two berry towers. Each guest will get two or three dipped strawberries to keep them going before the meal - also they look lovely!

http://www.chocorococo.co.uk/berry_tower.php

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content

The strawberries are a great idea and look fab - how much are they costing?

• M
    Beginner
    MissZKG ·
    • Hide content

Ditto - how much are the berry towers costing?? They look fab!

• B
    Beginner September 2011
    blueeyedgirl ·
    • Hide content

Yum. Dont think our venue will let us outside cater but can ask if they can do us these!

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

I am not a big fan of canapes so we are having little tubs of ice cream instead

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having them,too many pennies IMO. I am getting married at 14.30 and our wedding breakfast will be served at 16.00. Then a buffet will be served later in the night.

• IDoWeddings
    IDoWeddings ·
    • Hide content

The price quoted on the website I originally saw was for £180. That was enough for 80 guests and thats two to three strawberries each. This includes dark chocolate, white and milk chocolate dipped fruit.

Thing is I had seen these at a wedding fayre and returned to another local one to book them so got a great discount. Didnt pay anything near that.

Also keep in mind that one venue we looked at wanted to charge £12 per head!! I hope they were kidding (dont think they were!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics