Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

emma numbers
Beginner June 2008

Do you drink tea and coffee?

emma numbers, 5 of November of 2008 at 16:18 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 41

Didn't want to derail the other thread but was surprised to find I'm not alone in not drinking tea and coffee as people act as though I'm mad when I decline their offer. I often get the 'What do you drink then?' question and thought it was just me. I'll drink water (from the tap), juice, milk, hot chocolate, anything else really, it's not as though I'm asking for something special to be bought or made specially for me.

I get the 'you're just being fussy' but I physically could not make myself drink either of them. I feel a bit sick thinking about it actually. Tea tastes of dishwater and coffee tastes of cigerettes to me. ?

41 replies

Latest activity by Faruk, 23 of December of 2021 at 18:58
  • SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

I don't drink normal tea but I do drink herbal tea. Do drink coffee. This is another example of my shameful fussiness actually - I don't like milk and hate the taste of weak coffee; also I have sweeterners rather than sugar. All this is a bit of a faff to explain so if offered tea/coffee I'll usually decline.

• M
    Beginner November 2007
    MarineGirl ·
    • Hide content

I don't. Similar reasons! I've never been called fussy - but it doesn't half get people into a flap! I find when I ask for water people assume I'm too shy (?) to have them go to the trouble of boiling a kettle - and I have nearly had to fight for my water! People do regard you as 'a bit odd' though I find ?

• lobster
    Beginner
    lobster ·
    • Hide content

My husband doesn't drink either of them. He keeps Coca-Cola and Pepsi in business instead.

• July
    July ·
    • Hide content

I've never drank tea or coffee, only used my mums cup of tea when I was really young to dunk tea biscuits into and left her with floaty bits ?

I mainly drink tap water in the house and water and a can of fizzy juice at lunch time. OH used to drink coffee quite a lot but he now mainly drinks water. For that reason we never have milk in the house for other people to drink tea or coffee, which is a bit of a pain when people visit unexpectedly but we would have to throw it away unopened.

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a massive tea fan and neither is my dad. i could quite happily go for the rest of my life never having to drink it again

the only time i ever fancy it is if i've been out somewhere really, really cold

i drink a fair amount of coffee though

• R
    Beginner March 2004
    RachelHS ·
    • Hide content

My aunt doesn't drink hot drinks of any kind, so I've been aware that some people don't drink tea or coffee all my life - it doesn't strike me as strange.

I used to drink both tea and coffee, but went off coffee a while ago and now only drink decaff tea, as caffeinated tea tastes odd since becoming pregnant, and I can't drink it.

As I don't want to be a fussy guest, I'll drink water rather than bringing my own teabags or insisting that my hosts buy teabags specially to accomodate me.

However, as I said on the other thread, a lot of people do find this odd, and list all the other drinks they have in the house, just in case I fancy something else. "What about green tea? I think I have some green tea at the back of the cupboard - it's probably about 7 years old but I'm sure it's still fine..."

• Blossy
    Blossy ·
    • Hide content

Wierdos! ?

• Lady Falafel
    Beginner April 2006
    Lady Falafel ·
    • Hide content

I (normally) drink tea. I'm a fussy sod with coffee so will normally decline unless I know it'll be well made. Mostly I drink water though. I generally don't drink soft drinks so get odd looks for that often too.

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

I only drink Coffee, I physically wretch at the smell let alone the taste of tea. Mr Wt doesnt drink either as he doesnt like the taste, he is a squash / cordial drinker.

• A
    Beginner
    allthatglitters ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My sister & I have soya milk (which is why I don't really drink tea/coffee, usually lemon in hot water) she got a pack of those little milk cartons you get in cafes from Makro and uses them for visitors. H has normal milk so we have it in the house and I do have 'proper' coffee when he has one or a cuppa when Im feeling rubbish.

• Hecate
    Beginner
    Hecate ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

totally WSS

I drink tea - very strong so its orange in colour and coffee just average! I like good quality coffee though - IMO there is nothing worse than cheap coffee!

• Blossy
    Blossy ·
    • Hide content

I drink lots of tea.. i work in construction though so its more or less part of my contract! Very strong, no sugar, no nonsense tea.

I only like real coffee OR occasionally mellow birds. Any other instant coffee always leaves a horrible taste in my mouth unless I make it with boiling milk, and by the time I've contemplated the effort of doing that I've usually gone off the idea!

I stopped drinking real tea for a few weeks once and switched to camomile, as i can drink that even if its gone cold and i find it hard to have enough time to finish a brew during the day. However for the first couple of days I was dead on my feet and had huge head aches.. I dont think most people realise how much caffiene affects them!

Also my sister and brother have never drank coffee or tea and both have nice coloured teeth than me, white and shiny!

• emma numbers
    Beginner June 2008
    emma numbers ·
    • Hide content

My father is diabetic and carries his own sweetner about with him, which I don't think is being fussy at all. Still doesn't help when he comes around to mine and I've got no milke in though.

• Roobarb
    Beginner January 2007
    Roobarb ·
    • Hide content

I drink both. I love good coffee and could easily drink far more than is good for me. Tea I have to be more in a mood for but I do also like it, usually drink either just regular Tetley tea, Earl Grey or Chai. Coffee is Lavazza, either normal or decaff (if I just feel I've had too much caffeine for one day!) I rarely drink instant although I do have a jar in the cupboard as my parents moan it takes too long to make coffee in the machine [rolleyes]

I definitely drink too much coffee though. I stopped my caffeine intake in both my pregnancies in the first trimesters and I had the most vile headaches when I stopped.

ETA I don't think it's odd that other people don't drink them though. I really couldn't care what other people drink!

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

well there's a contradiction ?

• MD
    Beginner
    MD ·
    • Hide content

I hate tea with a passion but love coffee. My cold drink of choice is water (tap, preferably) and I always get 'but I have diluted orange (hate it) coke (not fussed on fizzy drinks) etc'

I will happily drink your free (or very cheap) water thanks!

• memedoaky
    Beginner September 2008
    memedoaky ·
    • Hide content

I don't drink either!

My drink of choice is cola, however I'm off it at the mo due to pregnancy so for the time being its ribena or diluted organge.

Luv Victoria

xx

• embie
    Beginner September 2006
    embie ·
    • Hide content

I don't drink either tea or coffee, and at lot of people think i'm strange. Trying to explain to my work colleagues that i didn't want to be part of the tea float was amusing, some of them couldn't understand why i didn't want to pay for tea bags and coffee because 'you must drink it'. Ummmm no i don't, bottled water or ribena for me thanks!

My mum will only drink coke, nothing else not even water.

• Sah
    Beginner July 2006
    Sah ·
    • Hide content

I don't drink either - I dislike the bitterness and I don't actually enjoy hot drinks generally. Everyone at my school laughs at me as I spend break time drinking squash from my water bottle rather than drinking the cheap tea/instant coffee on offer.

I occasionally drink hot chocolate but am always happiest with squash, juice, milk, water, coke - anything cold really.

• jelly baby
    jelly baby ·
    • Hide content

I don't drink tea or coffee either, in fact I can't imagine drinking any hot drink. H does drink coffee at work but never at home.

My drink of choice is apple & blackcurrant squash but if i'm out at someone's house I'll probably just ask for water.

• Flump
    Expert January 2012
    Flump ·
    • Hide content

I don't like hot drinks as a rule, and I definitely think this has something to do with the childhood trauma of being given hot chocolate that got skin on it as it cooled ?

I have a cup of tea once in a blue moon if I'm offered it but I usually decline, and would never make myself one at home. In fact, I don't even know why we have a kettle ? I did drink green tea when I was in Thailand, and very occasionally have one of those - in fact this morning, but that was more so I could wrap my hands round the mug to keep warm, rather than benefit from drinking it ?

Coffee is just a taste that I can't acquire.

I drink water by the pint at work, probably about 3 or 4 a day. But at weekends, I quite often forget to drink anything at all.

There's a guy at work that drinks bucket loads of coffee and nothing else, and his skin is all red and flaking off. I want to scream at him, "Drink some frickin water FFS" ?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

I can take or leave tea, but i m a total coffee snob, and post on a coffee forum. there, its out ?. so this means that i m into the correct water pressure from which to make the coffee, the right grind, the right conditions to keep it, blah blah. mrsnick takes the piss out of me regularly about it. in fact some time ago there was a tv ad for jack daniels which focused on the head JD man being really precise about making coffee - with thermomter, scales, you name it. so she calls me "weird jack daniels man" when i do it, and rolls her eyes.

• Sah
    Beginner July 2006
    Sah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OMG - That is Nick (my H) down to a T (or perfectly brewed C!)

• emma numbers
    Beginner June 2008
    emma numbers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? Are you sure you wanted to share that with us.

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

Well i ve done it now. you can call me OCD coffee man now ?

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content

I never used to drink tea or coffee, but when I met my husband he was convinced that I did like tea, I just didn't know it yet. ?

He was right! I love tea now.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

I hate tea (herbal or 'normal') and coffee, plus I don't drink milk or alcohol and people saying "oooh, do you actually drink anything?" drives me potty! I'm always happy with a glass of water but people can never quite grasp it.

My mum tried her best with me, to get me to drink tea but it just didn't work, I can't bear the stuff.

I choose not to drink anything with aspertame but I realise that does make me fussy. I gave it up when I first heard the (now disproved) links to lupus and when I tried it again, it gave me shocking headaches. I decided it was a chemical I could live without. I can taste the stuff a mile off now but will struggle to drink it if a host has gone to an extra special effort to buy me something in to drink.

I do drink Coke though, it's my vice. Other than that, it's high juice or water for me.

• Rache
    Beginner January 2004
    Rache ·
    • Hide content

I looove tea. From builder's tea to single estate posh stuff from Fortnum's, I drink it all. Except Not Proper Tea (fruit and most herb teas, I make an exception for peppermint). I drink tea at home and at work, but unless I'm somewhere where they can make a proper cup, like a hotel restaurant for Afternoon Tea, I'll always have a coffee when I'm out.

I'm a bit of a purist thogh not, I think, a snob in that I can only bring myself to drink cappuccino before 11am, after that it's an espresso. And I can't bear coffee that's too hot; I can quite often be found grumping about British coffee houses who don't seem to be able to make coffee at the right temperature. Give me (any) Italian coffee any day. Those boys know how to make coffee. mmmmmm. It must be in the genes.

Instant coffee - yuk. I'd rather have nothing. And as for mellow birds.... ahahahahahahaaaaa?

• K
    Beginner May 2009
    kezzybabe ·
    • Hide content

Find this thread quite amusing tbh as it reminds me of the other day at work when i was munching my breakkie and got an amused comment about the fact that i dont drink tea and thats not normal.

I do drink tea and coffee and lots of different drinks just depends on my mood.My current drink of choice at work at the moment is suchards hot chocalate delicous!!!Had to explain to bemused colleagues that i drink about 5 cups of tea at home and sprint to the kettle the moment i get home for my cuppa but refuse to drink it at work as they dont use pg tips tea bags.nothing else will do for me?Tea snob?

Out of intrest does anyone ever drink there tea with the bag still in the cup?A colleague does it and it makes me want to wretch.

• Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content
  • Imelda
    Beginner July 2008
    Imelda ·
    • Hide content

I dislike hot drinks, and hate both tea and coffee. I will occasionally have hot chocolate, but wait until it cools before I drink it (but not so cool that it forms a skin a la Flump - that makes me feel queasy). And I have warm ribena when ill, but that's it.

I generally drink water - I think I drink the majority of the water cooler bottles in my office. I have a 1litre bottle on my desk, which I refill at least twice during the day. I have a water cooler in my fridge too, so mostly drink water at home too.

My friend is a huge tea drinker and always complains that I never have tea at my house. She bought some and kept it at my house, but then complained that I only had rice milk...

• C
    Beginner May 2005
    Cathybabes ·
    • Hide content

I'm a tea drinker unless I'm staying with the sister in law - they're not tea drinkers which means if they do have tea bags they're usually stale so I drink the out of date hot chocolate instead. Incidentally I hadn't realised tea could go stale before I met the in laws.

I drank too much strong black coffee at uni so tend to avoid it now!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics