Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Do You Eat Lamb - Food Choices HELP!!

27 March, 2012 at 18:59 Posted on Planning 0 45

Random question but I know I few people (not vegetarians either) who don't eat lamb. Is this a common thing?

Lamb is our favourite and we were going to have it as the main course but would it be wiser to go for the pork? (see options below)

Starter

Green pea, broad bean & asparagus risotto (a veggie starter as this was our favourite at the menu tasting)

Main Course

Slow cooked crispy pork with Oriental plum sauce or Roast leg of lamb with garlic & rosemary, South Farm redcurrant jelly

Chard and gruyere tart for the vegetarians (chard is a bit like spinach but more delicate in flavour)

Dessert

This will be a choice of:

Summer fruit cheesecake

Chocolate & Cointreau truffle torte or

French apple tart

What are your opinions on the menu? Would you go for the lamb and give the non-lamb meat eaters the veggie choice? Or do you think pork sounds better. I think lamb compliments the starter more but the food was all so good that it's made it difficult to make a decision!

45 replies

Latest activity by Bev Downie, 28 March, 2012 at 19:39
  • Taylory
    Beginner July 2014
    Taylory ·
    • Hide content

I eat both pork and lamb , but if i was you i wouldnt have just lamb and pork as both meats people can be fussy about. Hence why people have winner winner chicken dinner Smiley smile x

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I'd say go for the lamb (we did!).

We asked for dietary requirements and mentioned both lamb and shellfish to guide people in the right direction. Those who didn't like lamb then had an opportunity to respond and we gave them the veggie option.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I think lamb sounds nicer tbh, but I'm not keen on "oriental" style sauces so that would rule the pork out for me. I don't know of many people who don't eat lamb.

• smazzy_smoo
    Beginner June 2014
    smazzy_smoo ·
    • Hide content

I don't eat lamb, not because I'm all for sheep or anything, I just don't like it! Then again I don't eat pork either. Or veggie stuff! So I'd be completely no good at your wedding! But I'm just awkward... and of no help! Sorry!

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

*drool* I like lamb and if that's what you want then go for it. If a meat eater is that fussy about what meat they eat then they can have the veggie option! I have a fussy future sil, she can't eat anything 'cute' and we're having beef, she hasn't said she wants the veggie option so obviously cows aren't cute enough ? both of your main options sound delicious though, it's hard isn't it?!

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I ❤️ lamb, specially with mint sauce! OH can be a bit funny about both lamb and pork but as long as it's cooked properly (ie falls off the bone properly, not fatty) then he loves it too.

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    loralu ·
    • Hide content

I *don't* like lamb..well I say that but my brother had it for his wedding last year (he rang and checked if i would mind bless him) and it was absolutley delicious! if its what you like, go for it!

ETA: the pork sounds yummy!

• Tracey86
    Beginner October 2012
    Tracey86 ·
    • Hide content

I love lamb. OH will eat lamb but only if its not got the bone in it, he's the same with pork.

Its a nightmare choosing the food isn't it, part of me thinks have what we want its our day, stuff the rest of them but then the other part of me thinks we're not spending a fortune on a meal for everyone that they won't eat.

In your situation I would go for the lamb over the pork definitely.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

I don't like lamb, it's got a funny taste. I'd go for the veggie option.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

I love lamb and wanted it for our wedding meal- but i had loads of people who didnt like the taste of lamb so ended up going safe with good 'ol chicken

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

I absolutely love lamb but OH's family don't eat it (he does since knowing me) and I can't tolerate pork (neither can my Mum) so that would be an awkward one. If I did eat pork I wouldn't chose that particular dish because I don't like oriental sauces and know my Nan would hate it!

OH really wants to have venison which we both love but I've said you'd need to offer something else like, you've guessed it, chicken (!) for the likes of my sisters who won't eat anything vaguely different.

I think I'd go for the lamb and give the veggie option as an alternative although lamb served without any mint in sight? Sacrilege! ?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Lamb!

• Taylory
    Beginner July 2014
    Taylory ·
    • Hide content

I agree i would personally eat either or the pork or lamb ( both sound very nice) but i know how fussy family and friends are so for roasts its mostly chicken we have...... tut at the fussy people lol x

• F
    Beginner March 2013
    flower71 ·
    • Hide content

I usually end up with the veggie option as I don't eat lamb, pork or beef...and to be honest I was veggie for years so I don't mind that much. That said my parents both like lamb yet we were at a wedding the other day and they didn't eat all of the lamb as it was slightly under-done for them, so that's worth considering.

Ask yourself, when you sit down at that table with your husband, would you rather be eating a crowd pleaser dinner or what you really want?

And of course, that means, for our wedding it'll be the winner winner chicken dinner ?

• princesssaraht
    Beginner December 2012
    princesssaraht ·
    • Hide content

Mmmm lamb (drool)...

i would like the chocolate ad cointreau torte too

• laura_jane
    Beginner May 2013
    laura_jane ·
    • Hide content

I agree, the lamb sounds lovely!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I would love lamb if I was your guest! We are having gammon as it is my OH's fave but if he let me I would have chosen lamb. I don't know anyone that doesn't like it and if they hate it so what? They can eat bread and vegetables or whatever else you provide, if you like it then have it.

• L
    Beginner April 2012
    LEMBS8 ·
    • Hide content

I'm much more for the lamb... We thought about lamb because it's OH's favourite... his family's too... but my side aren't lamb eaters - we're not big on lamb in the states. I love it but it wouldn't have gone over well. We asked to have a choice of two main courses in addition to the veggie option. Would your venue let you offer both?

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Pork = possible religious probs

lamb - at worst likes vs dislikes. Resolvable via veggie option

I had lamb at my first wedding since I was veggie and Ex OH though chicken was bland and boring. This time we're having a hog roast. Any complainers can have veggie!

• Nik_Nak
    Beginner September 2011
    Nik_Nak ·
    • Hide content

Hey Ambs

We got married at South Farm and we went for the hog roast, with sweet chilli sauce, plum sauce, apple sauce, seasonal veg, salad and potatoes and it went down a storm!!! My family are Chinese and they're very critical when it comes to food, and EVERYONE raved on about how amazing, succulent, tender the pork was - some said it was the best pork they had ever tasted. Other family and friends loved it too, with most going back for seconds and a few going back for thirds - you only get this with the hog roast though. We only had 3 veggies in our wedding party of 80, and they had the chard tart for their main. I'm sure whatever you decide, it will be fantastic...my mouth is watering just thinking about it!!!

x

• T
    Beginner July 2012
    Thursday Bride ·
    • Hide content

Love Lamb so that would get my vote - agree with others re the oriental sauce may not suit some guests and I know more people who don't eat Pork. Can your venue do both if you let them know how many of each 2 weeks ahead of the day? I think our venue mentioned this as a possibility when we looked around - we haven't had the tasting session yet so no idea what the food will be like but the chicken roast dinner is the most expensive! Guess they know most folks play safe with chicken!

I really want to avoid chicken and will have a really good veggie choice as at least 4 guests are vegetarian

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    laura9889 ·
    • Hide content

I love lamb not a fan of pork lamb all the way think we're having lamb!

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

Lamb all the way! MMMM, its your wedding and whilst you do want people to eat, if someone doesnt like lamb they can eat the other courses. Its your wedding day Smiley smile

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is a valid point. traditionally in the Uk, Lamb has nearly always been well done. There has been a trend of late to have it slightly red, which doesn't suit many people.

Probably worth specifying to the chef how you want it cooked.

Peter

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I will eat either but H won't eat pork or lamb, he will eat chicken or beef

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content

Chicken is bar far the easiest and safest choice but we're like you....we're total foodies and don't want the easy option. We know there are a few fussy eaters (no vegetarians just pick and choose what they like) so there will be a vegetarian option for them.

I like the idea of mentioning that it's lamb at the RSVP stage (we need to pre-order the food) as it would save hassle later on.

We have another issue with ours...pigeon starter - I just know right now who will be moaning and picking at their plate on the day BUT my thoughts are that if we catered just for them it would be a simple soup followed by chicken followed by ice-cream! Not my idea of a special meal that's for sure!

BTW "Slow cooked crispy pork with Oriental plum sauce or Roast leg of lamb with garlic & rosemary, South Farm redcurrant jelly"...can I come?!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I love lamb and would be delighted to see it on a menu instead of boring old chicken! My SIL doesn't like it and will always put on an RSVP "No lamb" under dietary requirements. She's perfectly happy to have the veggie option.

• SadieButterfly
    Beginner September 2013
    SadieButterfly ·
    • Hide content

I love Lamb, i don't like pork.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

I absolutely love lamb but dont like pork.

You're never going to please everybody so just pick what you like.

• Jonesey
    Beginner June 2012
    Jonesey ·
    • Hide content

Until about 12 months ago I was one of those meat eaters who didn't eat lamb because of the thought of cute little skippy lambs. Now don't get me wrong I don't eat it a lot and still love cute skippy lambs but I bit the bullet and tried a beautiful slow roasted leg of lamb at a dinner party and now I will happily eat it if put in front of me and I even cooked it for the first time over Christmas for my family.

I would say your lamb option sounds delicious and I would prefer that to the pork. We've got an option of a chicken, pork, beef or lamb main so I can't wait to try them at our taster menu and if lamb tastes the best we'll go with that.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

OP, I love the sound of both of those.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!

Venues usually have a few extra vegetarian meals anyway so mega fussy people can usually be accommodated last minute.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics