Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hugo Brambles
Beginner August 2002

Do you ever take your engagement ring off?

Hugo Brambles, 18 of November of 2009 at 16:02 Posted on Planning 0 49

I've only had it a month or so and its so scratched I can't believe it. It was a lot of money, I'm gutted. Is it because I never take it off? Should I be taking it off? It's even scrated on the top of the ring, god knows how I've done that. It's platinum if that makes any difference?

49 replies

Latest activity by Mrs S*, 20 of November of 2009 at 10:57
  • teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Yes I do. I kept smacking it off surfaces by mistake...... thankfully diamonds are strong stones!

It will get scratched but comes up lovely when professionally cleaned. My platinum wedding ring has a nick out of it Smiley sad dont know how that happened.

I take it off when I'm doing the dishes or any manual work and when Im sleeping. My wedding ring stays on all the time.

• jem179
    Beginner May 2010
    jem179 ·
    • Hide content

Platinum does scratch really easily unfortunately (mine is platinum too but has quite an open top). I take mine off when I'm swimming/ showering and when I go to bed but that's about it!

• Hello Sunshine
    Beginner
    Hello Sunshine ·
    • Hide content

Platinum is a super-soft metal so it does scratch easily. I haven't even had mine a week and I'm noticing scratches underneath on the band. I've been taking it off to get showered, wash hands etc but I'm so worried I'm going to leave it somewhere!

• L
    Beginner March 2010
    Lou0408 ·
    • Hide content

I take mines off for sleep and when I do Body pump , I heard a nightmare story were someone's diamond got cracked.

Mines is a little scratched but not noticeably so and they look quite surface so I think when I get it cleaned before getting married it will be back to 100%

I am sure no one else will notice its just cos you study it.

• Maxibon
    Beginner March 2009
    Maxibon ·
    • Hide content

I take mine off to do the dishes/shower etc but generally keep it on all the other time.

Mine is white gold and scratched like crazy - its only 9 months old, but closer to the wedding i'm going to have it re-rhodium plated so it looks like new on the day. Maybe you could speak to your jeweller to see if he can buff it or make it shiny for you.

x

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Platinum is actually one of the hardest metals, gold is the supersoft metal Smiley smile

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

I never take it off (except when it looks a bit skanky and need a clean!). It's scratched, i've had it made shiny again already, will have it done again a few weeks before wedding so it doesn't look as bad next to new wedding ring!

• moomin8804
    Beginner July 2009
    moomin8804 ·
    • Hide content

I take mine off to shower and to clean it but that's about it. Mine is white gold too, but seems to be holding out well and is pretty scratch-free.

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here! I only take it off if I am making something like scones where I need to put my hands in the dough - I made the mistake of keeping it on once while doing this and got all dough stuck in the gap where the diamond is raised on my ring. I often give mine a clean with a toothbrush and will get it made shiny for the wedding, but at the moment it's quite scratched!

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

Yup all the time when I wash my hands or do the washing up, I have sensitive skin so it gets sore if I leave it on whilst my hands are in water. Mine is pretty scratched too and like teehee's has a tiny nick on the bottom - not sure how that happened cos platnium's supposed to be one of the hardest metals! It polishes up really well when I scrub it with a old toothbrush every now and then like the lady in the shop advised though x

• millymolly83
    Beginner August 2010
    millymolly83 ·
    • Hide content

Well, mine is scatched too!

I take mine off when i go in the show, when i go to bed. But other then that it stays on, well may need to get it resize as keeps slipping off.

• nayso
    Beginner May 2011
    nayso ·
    • Hide content

I never take mine off... it was one thing MOH told me when I got it, she was used to taking hers off when she washed her hands and left it behind in a restaurant once.

So now I'm well warned not to take it off... unless I'm baking or swimming.

Its slightly scratched but holding up pretty well for white gold. I don't really mind cos no one notices.
    I still loooveee it!

Don't mean to crash but... do you wear your engagement ring on your wedding day?

• aliaisp
    Beginner July 2010
    aliaisp ·
    • Hide content

I only ever take mine off to put moisturiser on my hands - dont want to get cream in the gaps. i wear it to wash dishes, shower, sleep... it's platinum and i haven't noticed any scratches yet - though only had it for 2 months. will feel very weird when i take it off next month to have it slightly resized!!

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

I v rarely take mine off now. When I first got it I took it off when I went to bed and when I went in the shower - now I don't bother at all.

Think the only time I actually take it off now is when I'm boxing for obvious reasons.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

Why take it off to shower? It gets clean in the shower!

• jem179
    Beginner May 2010
    jem179 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I take mine off in the shower as it's a little loose and when my hands get wet it just falls straight off!!!

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I thought too. Mine is scratched to buggery on the bottom bit (the bit near the palm).

Mine is Platinum too and I never ever take it off.

It comes up lovely when I shower! ?

I took it off once and that was to poke bits of soap out of the diamond holes, with a cocktail stick ?

• Broody_wife
    Beginner
    Broody_wife ·
    • Hide content

Mine is white gold, had it almost a month and Its not scratched in the least, I lug big heavy files and boxes around all day in work as well!!

I only ever take it off to shower or wash the dishes as i need to moisturise straight away after because i have super sensitive skin! x

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

mine DID fall off about 2 weeks after i got it. i had the house turned upside down looking for it. H was NOT amused. it was also 10 mins before his aunt was due to come round for a little engagement lunch - oops.

mine only ever comes off if i'm putting on hand cream otherwise it stays on all the time. wedding ring is never removed. doing the washing up keeps mine clean! (which is maybe why its really dirty... ?)

• laineywhu
    Beginner July 2010
    laineywhu ·
    • Hide content

Mine is white gold and I very rarely take mine off now. But I do take it off when im in the bath, I just dont like having jewellery on when im in the bath!

• nicyx
    Beginner May 2011
    nicyx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

A friend once asked me if i wanted to try her engagement ring on and i said no, as to me it wouldnt feel right, ive never tried on someone elses n i certainly wouldnt let anyone try mine on, She thinks im mad..... I actually never even knew i would say no or never let someone try mine on until Aug this year when she asked me!!!!! As this conversation had never risen before in the eight years we have been engaged...... I Havent actually got a clue why i think this is wrong, but i was so taken aback when she suggested it.... I know i am very wierd but after that im probably wierder than i thought!!! Haha x

Nic x

• Q
    Beginner June 2010
    Quartz ·
    • Hide content

I never take mine off except when I'm gardening or when I'm on holiday and go swimming in the sea, although I panic like mad at leaving it anywhere. It's a bit scratched at the back but the jeweller is going to polish it for me when we go and get our wedding rings. Never thought about letting someone else try it on, or trying on someone else's, but now you mention it, I don't think I'd like it at all - just doesn't seem right somehow.

• 1Lucie
    Beginner May 2011
    1Lucie ·
    • Hide content

Mines platnium and ive got same problem and ive only had mine for 2 months! I might have it polished before our day.

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Mine is white gold ?

It's a little scrattched underneath but not too much. I only take mine off for bed (generally putting it on after i've had a shower and am getting ready).

I've never worn jewellry in bed (except the odd pair of studs)

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Never, never do I take mine off now! This is my 2nd engagement ring. My first was stolen when our house was burgled Smiley sad I had had it cleaned and it was so sparkly, I took it off and put it in my jewellry box before I went to work one day. When I came back, the jewellry box was gone, along with all our electrical goods. I was heartbroken but even more so because also in my jewellry box was a small box which contained all my daughter's baby teeth - something that can never ever be replaced ?

• L
    Beginner April 2011
    loopyjennie ·
    • Hide content

I take mine off all the time.. and forget where i have put it... lol

mainly cause i dont like them on when i am washing up etc and since having ds2 i have not found either of my rings comfortable... think i might have to go and get a new one... lol

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content

I've learnt the hard way after ruining zillions of pairs of tights so tend not to pop mine on in the morning till after I'm changed....

Oh and when I'm washing up I tend to take it off - otherwise bits of broccoli and nastiness get stuck in the setting! ?

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Mine's only 9ct white gold (mr DWC isn't cheap by the way its just the only one i really loved) so is a bit scratched and scuffed. i'm really clumsy though. I only really take mine off if i'm doing something very hands on where i think it would get damaged, or if my hands swell up, which they do on a regular basis.

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This nearly happened to me. I used to take mine off every night, as well as my watch. The first day I slept in it I forgot to put my watch back on in the morning, we were burgaled later that day and my watch was stolen, so if I hadn't forgotten to take my ER off that would have been gone too. It wasn't insured then either, so would have been a double blow.

The only time I take my rings off are if I'm gardening or baking, I keep them on to wash up (rarely do that though!), shower, sleep. I occasionally take it off in the gym, but normally forget to.

It does get a bit scratched, although tbh I only really noticed when I had it cleaned before the wedding how much. It looked brand new after cleaning though.

• emilyx1
    Beginner September 2010
    emilyx1 ·
    • Hide content

I only take it off if i'm baking and have to get my hands in the dough other than that it stays on (not to sound rude to those that do but why take it off to sleep?) My mum has been married for 30 years and never takes her egagement or wedding ring and they still look great.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

I don't understand my to take it off to sleep... i take my ear rings out for bed because they stab me and i take my bracelet off because i sleep on my arm and i was hurting myself!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I have a pot of Goldsmiths Gold and diamond cleaner which I pop mine in for an hour or so if it looks a bit "caked up". I use talc every day which clogs up the spaces in the setting really bad but it comes up gleaming every time! Gold and diamonds are pretty tough cookies even though they look delicate! Mine are both white gold - my engagement ring is a topaz surrounded by diamonds. I know when it needs a quick dip because the topaz looks 'cloudy' because all the talc is stuck behind it LOL! Both my wedding ring and engagement ring get re-plated every 3 years and cleaned professionally and they still look good as new. I've had this engagement ring 16 years now and, although I love it to bits, it can never replace the original that was stolen. Another reason why I never take it off is because my wedding ring has been on for so long (27 years!) my finger is thin where it's been and when I take my engagement ring off, my wedding ring flies off too so I have to be careful!!

Someone said earlier their Mum has never taken hers off - neither has mine and she's 92! And she was in the land army in the war digging for glory LOL!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics