Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hugo Brambles
Beginner August 2002

Do you ever take your engagement ring off?

Hugo Brambles, 18 of November of 2009 at 16:02

Posted on Planning 49

I've only had it a month or so and its so scratched I can't believe it. It was a lot of money, I'm gutted. Is it because I never take it off? Should I be taking it off? It's even scrated on the top of the ring, god knows how I've done that. It's platinum if that makes any difference?

I've only had it a month or so and its so scratched I can't believe it. It was a lot of money, I'm gutted. Is it because I never take it off? Should I be taking it off? It's even scrated on the top of the ring, god knows how I've done that. It's platinum if that makes any difference?

49 replies

• BoroKate
    Beginner September 2010
    BoroKate ·
    • Hide content

I don't usually wear any jewellery so its taking me a while to get used to my ring. I've made a deal with H2B that i'll wear it every time I leave the house but when im at home it goes back in its box.

• fancyfree
    Beginner April 2010
    fancyfree ·
    • Hide content

Yes, whenever I do baking or go to the gym/go swimming - so it's off quite a lot. I do put it back in the box but then hide the box away in case anyone did come in looking for jewellery to take.

Soon after we were engaged we went travelling and I had to leave my engagement ring with my parents for THREE AND A HALF MONTHS. I was so sad!

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Rainbow Florist does the goldsmiths gold and diamond cleaner work on white gold? mine could do with a clean but probably doesnt need a professional one yet.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

No, mine doesn't come off now. It took me quite a while to get used to having a ring on that finger but now I feel nekkid without it!

I also have let others try mine on and that doesn't bother me but I can kind of see where the sentiment of that comes from. I have tried on my sister and sister in laws and wore my sisters on my ring finger whilst she was getting married.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yup, mine's white gold - you need to ask for it specially otherwise they will give you one for yellow gold. You get a little brush to get the dirt out first then just pop it in the basket inside the tub and put the lid back on. I only leave it in for about an hour then give it another brush when it comes out and a buff with the special cloth that comes with it and bingo - sparkling Smiley smile

• Stazzle
    Stazzle ·
    • Hide content

Mine's white gold too and I'm actually really impressed with how unscratched it still is - it only has a few small ones on the bottom that are hardly noticeable, which is good considering I've been wearing it for about 3.5 years now!

I do take mine off to wash up, to go swimming and also to shower, just because I always feel it's going to slip off too - it's not really loose or anything but I'm just not used to wearing jewellery in the shower! I keep it on in bed though as I'm used to it now.

I've got mine cleaned once before as we were out shopping and a jewellery shop were offering free ring cleaning, but other than that it's not really even needed it. I'll probably get it done again before the wedding though anyway.

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content

I taken mine off when im showering and swimming and when applying hand cream/body lotion.

Sometimes just sending it off for a clean can bring it up like new and remove any scuffs.

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No cocktail stick!! Put the plug in the sink, run warm to hot water and use a toothbrush!!

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

No way, I waited 18 months for them to find my diamond, it's staying on my finger FOREVER!!!

?

The jewellers said they would polish and clean mine up anytime I popped in.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

fabby! can i get that from any jewellers? I want to ask the shop where i got it if they still do free replating on white gold as they did do a few years ago for another ring i have. Only i really don't want to go into the lincoln store after all the issues we had with them in february.

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haaa, oops!....Might use OH's toothbrush then.....

....shhhhh️?️

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think most jewellers sell it. I know H Samuels do too because I've bought it there in the past. Just be sure to ask for white gold though - I wrongly assumed she'd looked at my ring properly when I asked her for some cleaner for it! She gave me the stuff for yellow gold so had to trail back with it the next day. Doh!

• Keelz
    Beginner
    Keelz ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was the same when I 1st got mine.

I only take it off now when I'm doing my hair because hair wax is a pain to clean off it.

• bridgetvictoria
    Beginner April 2010
    bridgetvictoria ·
    • Hide content

Take it off at the gym as other wise it digs in when I'm on the equipment. Other than that it stays on always x

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ooh good. i'll make sure thats what i ask for. Thanks for the rec!

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

RF - do you really leave your ring in there for an hour??!?!?!? I got one of these dips from my ER - mine is platinum and I only put it in for a few minutes then give it a brush and taken out and it looks great. I'd be scared to leave it in there for any more than 5 minutes!!!!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I normally leave my wedding ring in overnight but not my engagement ring. An hour cleans it up really good. My silly hubby once put a silver (not white gold! he doesn't do reading instructions!) ring he has in overnight and it turned black Oops. But he took it to the jewellers and they brought it back to life!

edited to say mines white gold though not platinum - maybe different for platinum?

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics