Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

overtherainbow

Do you ever wonder what happened to...

overtherainbow, 21 October, 2009 at 19:34 Posted on Planning 0 50

Stuff like ..... scampi in a basket ? Just been having a silly conversation about stuff that was mega huge in it's day but nowhere to be seen now. Chasseur burgers - what happened to them - they were all the rage in the 80's. Typical night out for a meal was prawn cocktail starter, chasseur burger and chips followed by black forest gateaux and fresh cream all washed down with Asti Spumante!

50 replies

Latest activity by Sherrie H, 23 October, 2009 at 10:25
  • Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

? seeing as we are the same era Brenda I remember them all!

Chicken in a Basket

cheese suffle

Fondue

Miracle Maid cooker!!

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Now, prawn cocktails was my ultimate starter - think it still is and BFG was my dream dessert, I used to make my own....... hated it when I couldnt see it on the menu but the burger was lost on me.. think my main courses used to be chicken kiev lolol that was fancy!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Chicken Kiev was posh!!

Don't remember maryland Chicken.

Steak cut chips

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I had chicken in a basket on honeymoon but Borneo is a long way to go for it Sherrie ☹️ It was delicious.

Jules the indians here still do Chicken Maryland.

• woo-woo
    Beginner
    woo-woo ·
    • Hide content

I wish they would bring back Cremola Foam, I feel my kids are missing out on this teeth destroying sweet treat!!!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I'm a 60's child ?

I am 47 next birthday!

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, I like a nice prawn cocktail starter, and chicken in a basket for that matter.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Anyone want to roll out watneys red barrel at their wedding reception??

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Remember party six small barrels Peter??!

My Dad tried to open one with a screwdriver once & soaked my Mum & the kitchen ! ?

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

I recall party 7's and party 4's...all foul beer tbh.....

Possibly we should extend this thread to what your regular first regular alcoholic drink was....that might show how things have changed there too.....

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Re food: anyone remember the minute steaks you used to get from the supermarkets.....sort of a woven cloth of beef...

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Mine was Cinzano & Lemonade!!

As soon as I was pregnant with my first baby 24yrs ago I was as sick as a dog on it and haven't touched it since.

• kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content

I dont know what half the stuff you're talking about is ? but i miss tab clear!!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Does anyone remember Space Dust??

It was like sherbert/candy and when you put it on your tongue it exploded!!

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, I remember space dust.

What about soda streams? Can people even be bothered anymore?

Or Mad Dog 20/20, lime and kiwi yum yum.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Oooh I remember Soda Streams!

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

Why people just didn't buy a bottle of pop I'll never know.

Mr frosty? do they still make those, when you had to crush the ice?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Salt & Shake crisps with the little blue bag of salt in!

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

Think you can still get those Sherrie, along with dib dabs and wham bars. Ooh want one of those now.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you recall the Corona Lorry coming around every week???

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

It was Ben Shaws near us, bottle of very coloured orange pop, dandelion and burdock and the green one, can't remember the name.

He still does the rounds.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Another thing I find amusing is something from our youth that has long since disappeared from the UK....you then go abroad and find that it is still a common item in that foreign country...a classic example of this is OMO. Massive in the UK in the 70s and 80s before disappearing although still a big seller abroad...

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

We had Corona, I remember OMO washing Powder and also the Paraffin man , Esso Blue & Pink!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

In "those" days, we had a weekly corona delivery, daily milk, separate weekly egg delivery man in van and separate daily bread delivery.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

And of course, there was always the warm peanuts and cashews from Woolworths.....served from a scoop in to a white paper bag.

BTW, I am not "that" old, despite all the posts I have written....

And from the ice cream man, do you recall the Jubbly's <sp>....triangular shaped orange flavoured ice blocks?? Massive size too....

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

We still buy Junnlies! They seem so much smaller now though, maybe it's becuse our hands have grown!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

What ever happened to Green Shield stamps then? Did anyone collect Embassy Cigarette coupons for gifts? I used to when I smoked about 30 years ago. When I think I gave myself bronchitis every winter just to get a pair of Dorma pillowcases! Do they still do No6 cigs? or Park Drive? When I started work at 15, I tried to be posh and smoked Consulate (Menthol Cool!) but they gave me a sore throat so I switched to No6.

I remember the Corona lorry with Cristavite pop which you used to blow bubbles into and make pink. I loved the orange jubbly triangles! Other things which were mega that are sadly no more - Spangles (although I think they did try and revive them at one point) Arrow Bars - long, thin strips of flavoured toffee. I had a very nasty accident with an arrow bar when I was little - I was playing on my Grandma's garden wall with an arrow bar in my mouth and I slipped and it went through the roof of my mouth Smiley sad God it hurt like hell and what made it worse was it as one of those frothy flavoured ones. Yuk!

My first regular alcholic drink was lager and blackcurrant. Ask for one of those in a pub and you get funny looks! In Yorkshire, it was always known as lager and black - wouldn't be considered politically correct to call it that now. What happened to Babycham with a cherry on a stick and snowballs? Steak Canadians, Trimphones, Sheepskin car covers, go faster stripes, vinyl roofs on cars - Ooo I miss vinyl roofs. I went out with a lad who had a Ford Capri with a burgundy vinyl roof - drop dead gorgeous - the car, not him!!

• groomwithaview
    Beginner October 2009
    groomwithaview ·
    • Hide content

Theres no shortage of Fondue over here - the season has just started and theres about 30 different varieties in our supermarket (but then I guess thats no surprise in Switzerland!). Also Soda streams are still really quite popular here - every supermarket has a section for them...

Space dust - yup loved that - you can still get it though - so much so that they has a couple of episodes of come dine with me with it in the desserts a little while ago...

Love a good prawn cocktail. And scampi in a basket....mMMMmm!

My first alcoholic drink which got me drunk was MD20/20 - never touched it since! Although I do remember my nan always buying me a babycham when I was about 9 or 10 - am sure she didnt realise it was alcoholic!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, that's so true - I've seen Pepsodent toothpaste, OMO, Oxydol, etc abroad. Peter do you remember Barry in Heinz Beans? "What's a demonstration Barry? Barry..."

• groomwithaview
    Beginner October 2009
    groomwithaview ·
    • Hide content

Oh, Im pretty sure Ive seen OMO washing powder here actually....and my favourite - those chocolate covered mashmallow cake things which here are called "Super Dickmans"! ?

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Super Dickmans! ? I love that! You can still get those - they're called chocolate teacakes - used to be made by Burtons. Me and my brother used to woof them back whole in one go - yummy!

• groomwithaview
    Beginner October 2009
    groomwithaview ·
    • Hide content

Me too!

Ooooo - do they still do those caramel wafer biscuit things....cant for the life of me remember what they were called - came in a proper folded foil wrapper in silver and red I think....they were yum....

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics