Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner

Do you have a fear or phobia?

ccctravel, 3 October, 2011 at 12:24 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 23

My other half's uncle has a fear of flying and takes the family on the same holiday every year to the same place because of it. A friend of mine has a agoraphobia, a fear of open spaces and can't imagine venturing into a vast open field or desert where there is nothing steady to hold. Both would rather continue as they are but I just don't see why some people wouldn't want to get rid of their fears...of flying...heights...open spaces...when it is so easy to get rid of them and be free!

I love traveling and exploring and would not miss it for the world! Marrying overseas, traveling on holidays, enjoying the serene beauty of nature, climbing across a rope bridge in a the forest....that's life and I definitely wouldn't want to pass fears to my children or let them prevent my from seeing them at their graduation overseas or enjoying activities with them. I am a Neuro-Linguistic-Programming Practitioner and can reduce these fears in a session or two so why are people adamant to stay uncomfortable and live their days keeping hold of unnecessary fear?

23 replies

Latest activity by Alreadymarried , 4 October, 2011 at 19:47
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can you offer some examples of peer-reviewed psychology research that demonstrate experimentally the effectiveness of "neuro-linguistic programming"? Or offer explanations for why this practice has been wholly discredited by professional psychologists?

?

• C
    Beginner
    ccctravel ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm I cannot do either but your comment intrigues me as I have studied Psychology and practice as a Business Psychologist and Neuro Linguistic Practitioner and Coach. I have not come across experimental research of how NLP is effective although I my theories from my training of NLP as to why it works, in particular in relation to the strengthening of connections in the brain from simple conditioning, and I would not discredit NLP myself as I see it's effectiveness and would argue that experimental designs cannot fully gather the effectiveness of NLP because it's very nature is dependent on individuals perceptions of whether it can help.

If you don't mind me asking, are you a Psychologist/interested in Psychology and skeptical about NLP or visa versa? ?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Huh? ?

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Huh indeed Mrs C!

I came on to the thread to add that I have a un-usual phobia: Window cleaners. I don't seek to be "cured" of this, I am happy just to have manky windows.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Obviously not. ?

For info: classify me as a "skeptic".

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I caught a mention of this the other day - unusual indeed. What about window-cleaners scares you? Does it scare you if someone you know cleans your windows?

• C
    Beginner
    ccctravel ·
    • Hide content

That is an unusual phobia indeed. I don't seek to cure you of this and i have no issue with manky windows since you wouldn't miss much. In fact i'm sure that helps with snooping neighbours ?.

But wouldn't one miss out so much more with other phobias like flying or heights if it means you can't even travel to other places or climb to the top of the Eiffel Tower or the Empire State Building to see what it's like?!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you assume that fear of heights/flying is a conditioned fear? How would NLP address a non-associative etiology, where fear of heights could be an evolutionary adaptation to preserve survival?

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Oooh ha ha ha ha...this thread has really made me laugh!

I thought that fear of heights was one of the two (can't remember the other one) evolutionary fears that we are born with? Possibly because it is useful?

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah yes - why I couldn't live in a modern glass house!

It stems from when I was younger, lived in a small village where there was a spate of house break ins. Turns out it was the window cleaner who was responsible. Had obviously having seen what was inside each home. Anyway he was got into our house when he thought everyone was out (I was home from school on study leave) and I caught him. Ever since I've been terrified of that profession as a whole...

A few years ago when they visited my workplace I would be in tears hyserical or throwing up, now I'm better, can actually remain at my desk while they are outside, but I do have to fight the urge to be sick or start crying. Workmates used to think it was hilarious, now they are a bit more sympathetic and will give me the signal so I can prepare myself. On the whole lots better, and I have to admit I find it a bit funny myself!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lots of theories that fear of snakes/spiders/etc are adapted fears. Fear of loud noises...

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Crane flies.

What is the point of them anyway?

Maybe I just hate them rather than a phobia? Where's the dividing line?

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

? Love this thread!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

When you see a crane fly, do you...

1. Shudder/bat them away/squash them/shoo them out of door or window?

2. Cry/vomit/panic?

I reckon you KNOW when you're phobic Smiley smile

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Thwack them very hard with my special Crane-fly-thwacker.

Whilst yelling insults at them.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So less phobia, more deep-seated anger issues being shifted onto one of God's little creatures Smiley winking

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

If I get to heaven I shall ask God why crane flies.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Barnacles have the largest penis:body size ratio in the animal kingdom. And when being a man (barnacles are hermaphroditic), they stick their doodah out of the top of the shell and just feel around for the nearest neighbour. Smiley smile

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

FTLOMB you are like an encyclopaedia, (did I spell it right?) ?

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not dissimilar to the tube then?

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I have an unrational fear of sponges and anything similar with holes in, like cake.... and Wispas. I get cold sweats, the lot.

Oh, and I am tremendously claustrophobic.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Spiders, heights and flying, although the last one doesn't stop me going on holiday I just don't enjoy getting there.

I know someone who has a phobia of bananas.?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics