Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner May 2007

Do you have a square bay window? Can I see your curtains, please

LittlePeanut, 25 of August of 2009 at 16:16 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

We've got a fairly big square bay. Currently we've just got some muslin curtains up for privacy.

I'm hoping to get some venetian blinds made soon, but we'd like some proper curtains too and I'm a bit stumped as to how to arrange them in the bay. Do you have one curtain each side that gets pulled to the side, or ones at the front and ones at the side IYSWIM.

6 replies

Latest activity by LittlePeanut, 26 of August of 2009 at 11:40
  • WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

Tis me again! The family home I have down in my home town is a victorian townhouse with huge square bay windows. The curtains are arranged with one either side of the side windows (looking at the bay the curtains are closest to you) then two curtains when drawn in the middle of the bay to cover the two front windows (there is a pillar in the middle of the bay)

So 4 curtains, two at the sides and two in the middle at the front. Does that make sense?! I dont have a pic

• L
    Beginner May 2007
    LittlePeanut ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hello again ?

I think that makes sense, and I think it's close to what I was thinking of.

When they are tied back during the day, where do they go to? Our side windows aren't huge, but I was thinking the side ones would get hooked back towards you as you stand looking at it, with the middle ones hooked to the side. Would that be right?

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

Side ones are hooked toward you as you look at it yep and front ones were always hooked into the middle as the pillar was an easier place to put them, however they would also look ok hooked to the side if you dont have a middle pillar.

• L
    Beginner May 2007
    LittlePeanut ·
    • Hide content

Gah, I'm trying to edit my original post as I obviously I have muslin curtains and not muslim ones ?

Thanks WT. We do have a central pillar so I'll give that a go

• C
    Beginner May 2003
    Cazzyg ·
    • Hide content

I have blinds up at the window - roller ones, IIRC they are much cheaper than venetian blinds. We have one pair of curtains which are in front of the entire bay. Dont have a good pic, but I'll try to get one and post later.

• CBear
    Beginner April 2009
    CBear ·
    • Hide content

We're in a victorin terrace, with a kid of half bay window - one big one, and a little one on one side, but not on the other. Just in the rocess of redecorating and didn't know what to do about curtains - previously we had a pair over the big window and a single curtain on the little window. In the end we've decided to go with roman blinds and no curtains, we've just ordered made to measure ones, expectig them in the next couple of weeks.

• L
    Beginner May 2007
    LittlePeanut ·
    • Hide content

Thanks both! I did consider blinds, both roman and roller blinds. I was even going to make the roman blinds myself ?

However, H isn't keen as we are on a corner and our windows face nearly directly onto the street in both directions. He's concerned therefore about people being able to look straight in when the blinds are open. I'll therefore have to find / make sheer blinds, or continue to have muslin / voiles up with heavier curtains to pull

I did think of the no curtain option too when I first moved in but it's such a cold room that I'd like the option of making it cosy in the winter. I spent all of yesterday looking at fabric in a fabric shop but I'm now considering buying a pair of heavyish Ikea ones (the only ones I can get that are long enough) and jazzing them up with some decoration.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics