Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Beginner November 2016

Do you know Etiquette (quiz)

1987RAF, 3 of August of 2016 at 14:03 Posted on Planning 0 13

I found this little quiz online today about decorum and etiquette according to Debretts, the go to agency for such matters.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tabathaleggett/how-good-are-your-wedding-manners

I scored 11 out of 15 with a couple of shock answers hidden in there for me. How many will you score?

13 replies

Latest activity by Tidal Wave, 4 of August of 2016 at 13:28
  • Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

I got 11 out of 15 but I disagree with a few.

I really do think the couple should write thank you cards together as they have received JOINT PRESENTS. That said, h2b never writes Thank Yous so it'll be me doing it anyway.

I also think it's more polite to respond to a Wedding Invitation as soon as you receive it. It's nice to show you're excited about going to someone's Wedding.

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

I got 9 out of 15. Hmm not very up on the etiquette. I agree with Stephisour RE the Thank You and responding to the invite. Also think the couple should book their honeymoon together.

Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content

I do agree with you both, but we have to remember that these are the official etiquette guidlelines that have been in place for years and years and what would happen at a royal wedding, not just it being the polite thing to do which is what we would do ourselves.

How many people would be shocked that the males at the table stood when they left or arrived. Ive done it myself in the correct setting as its the thing to do. I wouldn't in Fankie and bennys* though

*Other fast food chains available

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Considering I eloped and etiquette went out f the window I did pretty well and scored 13. It's a bit outdated for today and agree that both should write thank you cards (although he didn't I did) and that honeymoons should be decided together unless it's a joint decision that it's to be a surprise. I think also engagements are as long as you wish them to be or need them to be based on today's wedding costs.

Being older I suppose I remember how weddings used to be. That said I don't think doing things our own way to suit us better in a modern day and age show any less respect to our families and friends than traditions would have. ?

• jamborina
    Dedicated August 2016
    jamborina ·
    • Hide content

I only got 6/15. I'm not surprised.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Who comes up with this stuff though?

its obviosly terribly rude to not sit couples together weather 'ettiquette' says so or not

and where as its wise to have a hen/stag weeks or months beforehad thats not the 'tradition' of it

and what the couple chooses to wear is not ettiquette/manners based its just their choice

also why mix parents, so awkward and rude to the parents

• P
    Beginner October 2016
    Pink Sparkle ·
    • Hide content

I scored 11 out of 15. Which is surprising considering we are not following any of these. Although separating parents on top table might solve my dilemma of where to sit divorced parents. Lol.

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

I got 8 out of 15. i wonder if the upper classes still stick to this etiquette...

• 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

I got 11... but some of the ones I got right I don't agree with!

I do think that some of this is very outdated now, but tradition is tradition I suppose!!

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I only got six out of 15! Oops. I don't agree with a lot of them. I won't be having the traditional top table set up. I also don't think it would go down well if I separated our friends from their other halves! I think it is all very old fashioned!

• L
    Beginner August 2016
    Laurensmum ·
    • Hide content

I got 14 put of 15.

However, I'm an aspiring comical snob, love Debretts and love William Hanson who does a little stint on Steve Wright on Radio 2 sometimes!

My wedding is nowhere near Debretts etiquette, although I DID refer to the Debretts guide for the invitations!

Love a bit of posh stuff sometimes! ???

• Ginguar
    Beginner May 1975
    Ginguar ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree, and OH will help write them, at least he'll help me decide what to write but his handwriting is so bad i'll be doing the actual writing.

• Ginguar
    Beginner May 1975
    Ginguar ·
    • Hide content

I really disagree with guests should RSVP by 2 months before the wedding, if my guests leave it that late they'll not be coming as we need to tell the venue numbers 6 weeks before and I won't to be able to invite evening guests to the day if people cannot make it.

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

Quite surprised at getting 12/15. I agree with PP about the cards, they should definitely be from both of you, but like the Christmas cards I write them all and he signs them.

The RSVP's, I got this wrong but I'm biased as our deadline was 2 months before but we didn't have additional evening guests, if the couple states a deadline then they should be received by the deadline.

What confuses me is the married people can't sit next to each other, is that a way to get guests talking to new people? That would make sense but I'd hate that, I am happy enough to sit next to my husband and ignore him, what happens if you are sat next to someone weird or you're given a menu choice and you pick different things to swap and share the food.

However some of the comments are mildly amusing.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics