Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2015

Do you need an Order of service for a Civil ceremony

soon-to-be-MrsDennis, 12 of November of 2014 at 13:55 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi

Couls someone please advise

we are having a civil ceremony and was wondering if i need to have an Order of Service

I do like the Idea of having something so that everyone know's whats going on and to keep at the end of the day if they wanted to, but is it necessary

If so, what would you have for as an order of service civil ceremony

thanks in advance for any susggestions

Michelle

8 replies

Latest activity by soon-to-be-MrsDennis, 13 of November of 2014 at 06:49
  • cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

It isn't necessary for a civil service so it is up to you. I'm not having one (I'm doing my own stationary so no way am I making 60 OOS which people will just bin) but I know some people do. I am toying with the idea of just one A4 size timings note in the entrance as people arrive so people know the full lay out of the day.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

The main function of the OOS is so that people have the words for the hymns in a church wedding. They are not usually issued for civil ceremonies as there are no hymns.

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to do an "order of the day", which will incorporate a bit about the bridal party, and the content of the civil ceremony. One reason I will do this is that my sister is completely deaf, and although there will be a sign language interpreter, I think it will be nice for her to have the words for the readings etc to see so she doesn't miss anything or feel left out. Equally, I have a few friends coming over from Norway - although their English is waaaaay better than my Norwegian (not difficult!) again it means that they have a bit more time to digest the readings etc which will hopefully help them feel relaxed and included.

It will then include the running order for the day - so guests can see what time they can expect to be nabbed for photos, what time food is expected, and when they have time to go and freshen up or have a quick nap while the room is bring turned around between day and evening receptions etc.

There will be a big version of the running order near the door too, so that the evening guests can see what time cake cutting, first dance, and evening food will be produced, as of course they will not have been at the ceremony to get the "full" version!

But, they won't be expensive, or flashy.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Although not strictly needed for a civil ceremony they are becoming more and more popular. It's entirely personal preference.

You could have the outline timings of the day, the words to the readings and the key bridal party. You could also use it as a way to thank key people.

I think they're a nice touch but definitely not a necessity.

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

We have ordered a template off etsy and making some ourself. We're making them in fan form as its July and might be used as well as read. It's more a orderif the day than a order of service

xx

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

We had an order of the day ...

• CBeckford
    Rockstar July 2015
    CBeckford ·
    • Hide content

We're going to do a wedding program. We'll have to translate the two readings from English to Polish and vice-versa, have a bit about the bridal party, and a running order of the day so everyone knows what's going on and when.

x

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

We had an order of ceremony which introduced who was who in the wedding party; told everyone what the music was and why we had chosen it, and about the reading.

I wanted one to keep for myself and put in my wedding scrapbook and I knew my family would also want them.

Most of ours were taken home at the very least and even if they were then thrown in the bin, I don't care - they make me feel happy ?

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    soon-to-be-MrsDennis ·
    • Hide content

Thanks to everyone for their replies

MrsB2015, I was planning on having the fans as well as our ceremony will be outside and fingers cross it doesn't rain, so thought it would a nice touch

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics