Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kenzie3
Dedicated August 2023

do you need to wear a underskirt/petticote?

kenzie3, 27 May, 2010 at 16:42 Posted on Planning 0 5

Ive not really put much thought into this, but do you need to wear 1 with most dresses or only some dresses? or would i have been told this whjen i tried my dress on? i really dont know so would love any advbice...

5 replies

Latest activity by FunkyDiva, 28 May, 2010 at 07:27
  • teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Depends on the frock. petticoats can give it oomph....holds the shape a lot better but most dresses i tried on had plenty layers underneath...but only if theres nowt underneath it... you dont want to look like a toilet roll dolly! Plenty layers in mine...

• M
    Beginner October 2010
    mrsmiller2b ·
    • Hide content

Your best bet will be to try a few different sized petticoats on with your dress and decide what looks best. That's what I'm going to do once my dress arrives in the shop x

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

It depends on your dress and also how 'big' you want your dress to be. Mine had lots of layers like TeeHee's and also had a layer of netting so it sat fine as it was.

I suggest you try your dress on with and without them and see what you think.

• kenzie3
    Dedicated August 2023
    kenzie3 ·
    • Hide content

Ok that is what i shall do, cos my dress has no layers so think i may need something thanx for your replys x

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

I got a petticoat for mine! It gives it a nice shape! Smiley smile I got it from an ebay shop - impression bridal i think it was called! Its a goog job!!

• FunkyDiva
    FunkyDiva ·
    • Hide content

It does depend on the style and shape of the dress and what you want to achieve under it.

If you came to me in the bridal shop with your dress having no layers underneath it I would recommend that you try a petticoat under it. This is for a number of reasons. It gives the dress a better shape, especially if there is detailing on the skirt as it means that the skirt flows better and the detail can be better seen. We also recommend it as it makes it easier to walk in the dress. It brings the dress away from the legs and prevents the dress from potentially coming back into your legs as you walk which can be rather annoying (sometimes coming between the legs).

Don't worry though there are many petticoats out there that don't give the toilet roll look. You can get a petticoat that has net layers, some are very small with only a few net layers, great for a dress which has nothing and no hoop. Even a one/two layer one hoop a line underskirt does not make the dress look massive it just gives it a nice flow and shape but is not to everyones taste.

As others have said take your dress to a bridal shop and try on a few skirts with it and see what you think. You will be surprised. We have had a few brides thinking they would make the dress look massive but have been amazed at what a skirt can do to a dress without making it look full.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics