Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gillsy
Beginner April 2010

Do you really need ushers?

Gillsy, 4 January, 2010 at 18:38 Posted on Planning 0 20

So its 2010, the year of the wedding and I've started to fling myself back into the planning......here is the start of many, many crazy questions from myself from now to the wedding so I apologise in advance ?

First silly question...........

Do you really need ushers?? What is their main role and how many do you normally have???

We weren't thinking about having any but there is one of OH's friends that we would like involved but OH said you normally have 2 ushers and not one???

Whats the norm???

20 replies

Latest activity by tahdah, 5 January, 2010 at 14:04
  • fancyfree
    Beginner April 2010
    fancyfree ·
    • Hide content

I've got no idea.

I think they hand out the Orders of Service?

I might press my Master of Ceremonies into doing this (?) cause she'll be the one bossing everyone around.

How exciting is it that it's THIS YEAR!!!!

• S
    Beginner May 2010
    shwayney ·
    • Hide content

I'm with you on the question front...cant believe in the 3 month category now its all coming round so fast.

We were just having OH brother as usher and his best friend as best man...maybe it depends on how big the wedding is?

Think all that he will be doing is supporting OH and best man for us really

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in the hotel and wont be having an Order of Service. I guess that the Hotel will sort out the guests to their seats etc. Just might be nice to have this guy involved in some way is all.

Thanks girls

• S
    Beginner May 2010
    shwayney ·
    • Hide content

Yeah us too. think civil service maybe less formal, want our day to be relaxing and not stress everyone out with roles etc! But like you say is nice to involve those really close/important to you.

• Mel B
    Beginner
    Mel B ·
    • Hide content

Het Gillsy

The ushers are supposed to show guests to thier seats for the ceremony, theyhand out the order of services and they also take present from guests to put on the table. Ushers are also supposed to have a copy of the photographers lists and help the best man round up people for the photos, they also help the best man move all you stuff from the rooms you have been staying in the night before the wedding to the the bridal suite on the wedding day. Can't think what else they are to do!

Hope this helps

x

• bridgetvictoria
    Beginner April 2010
    bridgetvictoria ·
    • Hide content

He could do the 'Bride or Groom' bit... My sister read in a bridal mag that Ushers could walk up and down to sheild guests from the wind on a windy day...

Also could maybe help keep everyone in line during the photos????

We are also having an 'Usher/no Usher debate'. Once you've asked one, can you not ask the others?

And are you finding the whole 'This year' actually quite terrifying????????????????????????

• S
    Beginner May 2010
    shwayney ·
    • Hide content

I am!!!!!!! not about wedding tho its more about all the little things and freking out being centre of attnetion for the day!

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Mel - v helpful!!!!

yes actually - all a bit unbelievable how we got here sooooo soon!!!! The last 13 months flew by so lord only knows how quickly the last 3 are going to go!!!!

• bridgetvictoria
    Beginner April 2010
    bridgetvictoria ·
    • Hide content

I know... We started planning this time last year and now there's only 3 months. Think also, because most stuff is done there isn't a lot to be getting on with so nothing to be proactive about.

I also feel a massive responsibility for everyone having a good time which I realise is stupid as they eiher will or won't... Ah well...!

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

yeah, I'm totally feeling like this too but I'm sure everybody will be fine. Guess its natural to worry about it though

• bridgetvictoria
    Beginner April 2010
    bridgetvictoria ·
    • Hide content

And worrying is something I'm very good at!

• bethanw
    Beginner May 2010
    bethanw ·
    • Hide content

You can have some of my ushers if you like; we've got six of them not including the BM. God knows what they're all going to do on the day. The only jobs I've got is pick up and deliver the flowers to me at my mums and give out the confetti.

All I know is it's cost us a fortune in suit hire and gifts!

• missdeedee
    Beginner April 2010
    missdeedee ·
    • Hide content

Hi Gillsy,

I don't think you need Ushers, saying that we are having them!

We have two ushers, our hotel won't really have people there to show guests to their seats, so the ushers will do this. They will make sure there are seats kept free at the front for my mum (she will be upstairs in the hotel with me getting ready) and that our immediate family are seated in the front. One of our ushers is also going to show my mum to her seat before the bridesmaids go in (so she doesn't have to walk in on her own with everyone already seated).

They're also tasked with rounding people up for pictures and collecting cards/gifts so people aren't left sitting with them during the ceremony x

• Jan2010
    Beginner October 2010
    Jan2010 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Gillsy

If you are having your cermony in a hotel maybe he could be responsible for the music. I know the hotel we are getting hitched at advised it would be a good idea to have someone to take care of the music for the cermony (that way you can have a rehearsal).

• cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

Oh god i hadn't even given ushers a though until reading this!!!! i disregarded them because the only church wedding i went to did have a usher but all he did was ask if i was on the bride or groom side and told me which side to pick (the bride wasn't too chuffed that she'd hired him a suit for just that!) i'm having a hotel wedding too but now i'm wondering who's going to round up the herd for the piccies i think i'm going to nominate my bossy aunty as usher, are women ushers allowed?

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You can have what you like - it's your wedding! I've seen plenty of female bestmen and a few gushers (girl ushers) at weddings. I'm not having any bridesmaids, yet OH is having a whole entourage (I believe he's hoping to be carried like an emperor into the ceremony, while I wait at the top of the aisle but he hasn't had the guts to ask me yet ? ). Even though a few eyebrows have been raised at the unconventional nature of our day (we have ignored tradition on most elements), I don't care - tis our wedding! My brother has drawn the line at being my bridesman though.... Bah humbug!

So, if that's what you want Cola - go for it!

• cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ok i will ?

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

We're having ushers. There are 5 "groomsmen" - all bestmen/ushers really. I think it helps to get people where they need to be and to help with the assemb;ing for photos, etc.

I plan on getting mine to get the guests into seats, get them to the drinks reception, get them into photos, collect cards from people and generally just help out ?

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This can be invaluable in saving time during any formal photography....then again, this could be done by any nominated people.....

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all for your help - think I've decided that we will ask OHs friend to be an Usher. My only concern is that there will be too much for him to do on his own but I guess theres the BM too that will help him???

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

Nope you don't need ushers, I don't think I've ever seen any doing anything very useful at weddings other than giving out orders of service when they weren't already on the chairs.

We didn't have ushers or even a best man...we rebelled!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics