Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner September 2014

Do you think reserved signs are needed on chairs for wedding party?

Mrsbushelltobe, 5 of August of 2014 at 11:09 Posted on Planning 1 29

We are having a civil ceremony, and i wondered if it was necessary to have reserved signs on chairs for the wedding party?

29 replies

Latest activity by Emma, 18 of November of 2023 at 00:52
  • SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

We're not having seating plans, we're having a family table (of 17) and 4 friends tables (of 8 each) ... the only seats we're reserving are our own, and we're going to hang signs on the back of our chairs saying 'One of the brides ...' and '... the other one'

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Our venue insisted on it, reserving seats for the bridal party and the readers. my aunt comes in, moves the signs about and sits in the reserved seats!!!! my daughter came in, couldn't find her seat, panicked and cried, and my reader was sat in a seat too far back after my aunt fiddling, and ended up bruising her shin as she tried to get out from her seat.

it IS a good idea, but you need to ensure the ushers make sure it's adhered to.

i've not spoken to my aunt since and months later i still get annoyed when i remember she made my daughter cry.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I completely mis-read your question, I was thinking of the evening do. Yes, we're reserving seats at our ceremony, similar to Ravioli

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I made reserved signs with individual names on them so there was no faffing/confusion about who had a reserved seat and who didn't. (Basically it was the wedding party and immediate family).

• J
    Beginner October 2015
    janeywoo1978 ·
    • Hide content

Yes I would save the first 2 rows for the 'main' wedding party bridesmaids, best man, etc and then let everyone choose were they sit.?

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

I think geneerally people know to avoid the first couple of rows on either side. But if you think it could be an issue there is no harm in little reserved signs.

If you have ushers, they usually help direct people to seats, so make sure they know to avoid those rows so they can direct guests accordingly.

• M
    Beginner September 2014
    Mrsbushelltobe ·
    • Hide content

Excellent, thank you ladies. I think i'll make some reserved signs, just so there isn't any confusion. Love the ones you did kharv ?

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for this post, I haven't even thought about it!

We're in a registry office and with OHs family not talkin to eachother they would assume their in the front row because to themselves they would think their more important them their mum and step dad! Just rang FMIL and she said they need to be reserved because se knows what her family is like and they have no common sence!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Cheers Smiley laugh

It's only Hairy Manilla a4 card/paper folded in half!

• Pandabarney
    Beginner August 2014
    Pandabarney ·
    • Hide content

We are having reserved seats for our wedding party. I ordered reserved cards off Etsy and they weren't particularly expensive.

• M
    Beginner September 2014
    Mrsbushelltobe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh no, sounds like you def need them ? families aye

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

My Venue asked me if I had them. My Mum had laughed at the idea when I asked her and I was glad I ignored her!!

Ours just say 'Reserved' though. No indication of who for. I'm not re-doing though so people can fight over who goes where!

• J
    Beginner October 2016
    jessa ·
    • Hide content

The main wedding party normally had their seats reserved, ask the ushers to help out directing everyone else

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

They are pretty Kharv!

Yes I would reserve the seats too.

• S
    Beginner September 2014
    Sarah_88 ·
    • Hide content

Going to have to add this to my to do list!

Especially as we aren't having ushers. I don't mind people sitting where they want, but need chairs free for my parents, OH's parents, and bridesmaids

• M
    Beginner September 2014
    Mrsbushelltobe ·
    • Hide content

Def! Glad I remembered now not on the day : )

• Shamy
    Beginner September 2014
    Shamy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My coordinator told us a similar 'aunt' story at our planning meeting - except this one moved a chair from further down the room and added it on to the end of a row at the front! She recommended we reserve seats for key people so I'm taking her advice.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

I will be for the usual crew. Probably won't put names on them but will tell people where they are to sit and then tell the ushers who's sat where.

It will be interesting as we have a big bridal party, a very long narrow ceremony room and a MIL who has said she's 'just a guest' and wants nothing to do with the day. Meaning she doesn't get a seat reserved! Wow she'll be far back, shame....

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    bellaZ ·
    • Hide content

I was "best man" for a dear male friend several years ago. After I'd brought him back from taking him out to lunch, he went off to see the registrar and I went and sat in the seat on the front row that was marked "best man". A worried looking flunky from the hotel came discreetly up to me and said "I'm sorry, madam, I'm going to have to ask you to move. That seat is reserved for the best man." I gave him a big smile and told him I was the best man and he retired in some confusion, to the soundtrack of the groom's brother in the row behind saying, in a broad Aussie accent, "Best bloody looking best man I've ever seen."

• M
    Beginner September 2014
    Mrsbushelltobe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ha ha ha ha excellent!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

We had reserved signs for the ceremony but my dozzy dad thought they were reserved for other people so sat elsewhere (best man didn't tell them they were reserved for them as we asked him to)

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I was going to leave it up to the ushers to organise this but now I'm starting to wonder! Especially as one of the ushers is my dozy BIL!!! so who are you reserving seats for?

MOB, FOB, FOG, MOG, BMS, Flower girls, page boys? I know my sister would like to be sat somewhere near her girls and my SIL would want to be near her son so do I put them in the row behind the bridal party? But then do I also reserve seats for OH's brother and his family? I can see a situation where everyone has their own reserved seat lol

• M
    Beginner September 2014
    Mrsbushelltobe ·
    • Hide content

Our ceremony is set out 2 rows of 6 across, so we will do reserved signs in front row for 3 BM, MOG, FOG, MOB, FOB, 2 BMS, Flowergirl, 2 ushers (our brothers), in the 2nd row, i will have one for my nan, one for my grandad, and one for the reader and one for her partner, i was going to put just reserved signs for hte rest of hte second row for any family members to take? and then everyone else can just sit where they like?

I will make it clear to my brother and H2B brother (our ushers) who is supposed to sit where, and hope people dont move the signs around?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

We did:

Front row on my side: 4 bridesmaids

Front row on his side: Groom (obvs wasn't used for most of it), 2 best men, his mam and dad

Second row on my side: Mam, Dad, Brother, Brother, Brother's wife

Second row on his side: 2 sisters and their husbands

• M
    Beginner September 2014
    Mrsbushelltobe ·
    • Hide content

Kharv: do you think Groom needed a reserve sign? I haven't done one for him??

• P
    Beginner August 2014
    Purplemunchkin ·
    • Hide content

30 seats, six guests - don't think I'll bother ?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I did one for him just because I was doing everyone else's and he's a bit of a daft bugger sometimes and would probably sit on the wrong side or something Smiley winking

I wouldn't go back and do one if you haven't though.

• M
    Beginner September 2014
    Mrsbushelltobe ·
    • Hide content

Ok thanks, i'll speak to him about it later, so it's not a case of i forgot, just that i didn't think was necessary ?

• E
    Curious July 2023 North Yorkshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content

We had bridal party & parents, siblings reserved. I wanted no confusion for people & knew there would be certain members of the family who would sit in the first row given half the chance 😀 I got mine made but venue had generic reserved signs we could have used

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics