Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elixia
Beginner March 2014

do you wear your engagement ring AND your wedding band?

Elixia, 17 of October of 2012 at 21:33 Posted on Planning 0 27

Just a quick question but after said wedding do you wear them both or do you replace the engagement ring for the wedding band? i always thought you replaced one for the other. one of the reasons being its that engagement ring is an odd shape (square cluster held is a twist) and i've seen these awesome fingerprint matching wedding bands!

my engagement ring is lovely but old now ^^; been in the shop to be fix at one point but i do like it ... hmmmm. your thought? what are you doing?

27 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 18 of October of 2012 at 19:35
  • M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I wear both, and that was always my intention so I found a wedding ring to suit/match my engagement ring. My engagement ring wil always be as special to me as my wedding ring as it was the day OH declared he loved me that much that he wanted to marry me. But I fully understand some people who just wear their wedding ring, guess its personal choice really, you have to do whats best for you.

But I would advise you to go trying on lots of wedding rings before deciding to buy any. All the kinds I liked just didn't suit my fingers, odd I know, but it took me ages to find the right wedding ring.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I don't know anyone that doesn't wear their engagement ring after their married (unless they're a doctor or nurse and aren't allowed to wear it at work).

What a waste of a ring if you're only going to wear it for a year or so?!

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

well, by the time i get married i would of been wearing this for 6 years ^^; i know we waited a loooong time

I have been looking for wishbone rings that would suit it and fit around it but its been exceedingly difficult so far! the twist on this ring is at a 45 degree angle. I'm considering getting one made ... perphaps that way i could get a ring to fit around it and have the fingerprint engraving.

• Hawk
    Beginner September 2012
    Hawk ·
    • Hide content

Yes I wear my wedding ring and engagement ring.

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

I've always thought that wearing one ring shows your engaged, two shows married. Its how I tell who's married and who's not without asking ? Could be that everyone I know who's married wears both - apart from MIL who doesn't wear either as they're too small (she is double the size she was when she got married, and I'm not saying she's massive - she was just super duper skinny! I couldnt beleive her dress when she showed me, and I'm a size 10-12 - I doubt I would have fit in hers when I was 10 yrs old!)

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Lots of people have their wedding rings made to fit around their ER. Or you could just wear your ER on the other hand if you wanted?

Of course, you don't HAVE to wear it at all - I was just saying I don't personally know anyone who doesn't.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I wear both and my eternity ring

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

I think the thing thats thrown me that all the married women in my family wear the one ring, their wedding band. the engagement ring is kept for best, not sure if thats a family tradition or older generation tradition

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I won't be putting my e ring away. I got my w ring made around it. Do you want to wear both?

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

I always wear both, I don't know anyone that doesn't. I can't wear my engagement for work so I take it off then.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

I only wear my wedding ring when I'm on shift (paramedic) since my engagement ring trashes latex gloves! Then often I don't bother putting the engagement ring back on again. It's on at the mo since I've just been out to dinner and am out for lunch tomorrow, then will be coming off tomorrow night ready for work Friday. Who knows when it will get back on the finger again!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I haven't worn my ER since the wedding day as I need to get it resized.

However, my SIL hasn't worn her gorgeous platinum ER since her wedding 3 years ago as she wanted a yellow gold band to match my brother's WR... I always thought that it was a) a waste and b) a shame

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i developed love hate relationship with my ring ;P I lOVE its design, very me, but i hate the amount of holes its ripped in my clothes!

https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/8166749/9ct+white+gold+illusion+set+diamond+solitaire+ring/

its doesn't look completely like the one in the link but it has the same sticky out bits. But joking aside I do love the way it looks, its very cool, asymmetrical, modern and matches some of my other clean cut jewellery. i think my sticking point is i haven't seen a wishbone ring i like the look of Smiley atonished also i'm drawn to matching sets. i think they have a bond between them ... but my head go round in circles on this issue

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I work with food so can only wear my wedding ring (plain band) though the week, I add my engagement ring at weekends and it feels a bit more special. My wedding ring is 3mm and my engagement ring is 2mm plain band with one diamond, They are very simple and look lovely together. If i didn't work in the job i did, i would wear both every day.

• Emily-Toni
    Beginner February 2013
    Emily-Toni ·
    • Hide content

I have 3carat tanzanite ER as its a strange shape and so big I am having my WR made to fit it (went yesterday to deign my WR and how left my ER feel naked now!).

My job at the moment means I can't wear my ER as tanzanite is a rather soft stone so could get damaged. But I will be wearing my WR for ever, everyday till the very end!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I wear both every day. Although my wedding ring isn't completely shaped around my engagement ring, I chose one that would fit (two very thin bands, bottom one is flat, top on is a V shape).

I have a few older friends who don't wear their engagement ring, never asked them why.

• ellebob
    Beginner February 2013
    ellebob ·
    • Hide content

Last year OH's best friend showed us the engagement ring he had picked - it was the cheapest looking bright yellow gold monstrosity I've ever seen! Last month when he gave us the weddign rings (OH was best man), the groom's was gold the bride's was a beautiful platinum half eternity ring because 'she doesn't like gold', so I doubt she'll be wearing both, haha.

Fortunately OH knows my tastes better than that so the ER he chose will go perfectly with the WR we chose together. The ER costs more than 4x as much as the WR so I can't put it in a box but we only got engaged 1 year before the wedding and for 4-5 months I was wearing a cheap replacement because I got puffy pregnancy fingers!

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Well naughty me knows the price of my ring, he bought it and chose it without me knowing but then it broke about 18 months ago. the plate holding the diamond cluster fell out of the clasp when it snapped! when viewing houses too! it was lucky i found it on the floor. so when we got it fixed i found out the price! its reasonable give our income, but it looks fantastic.

its dainty, and I'm seriously thinking about commissioning someone to make a wishbone ring to fit round it and to my tastes.

• ladyzoot
    Beginner August 2012
    ladyzoot ·
    • Hide content

I currently wear both, but I know some older women (like my Mum) only wear their ER on special occasions so I got a plain WR instead of one shaed to fit my ER so that it won't look funny on its own should I decide to do this. Although my ER & WR don't 'fit' together they still look nice and are comfortable.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

aaaah, so it might a generation thing. I thought so, i remember my mum still keeping the ring case with the the ring inside with her other jewellery.

• tinasharp
    Beginner February 2013
    tinasharp ·
    • Hide content

I would wea both, my engagement ring has a twist to it and i found a wedding ring to match, they look perfect together . ine and the H2B wedding rings

• NorthernLight
    NorthernLight ·
    • Hide content

I wear both x

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I wear both of mine. You could get a wedding ring made to match your engagement ring. Although I went the other way, and had my engagement ring re-designed to fit my normal wedding band.

• Honky
    Beginner October 2013
    Honky ·
    • Hide content

My mum only wears her wedding ring, wears her engagement ring only on special occasions and quite a lot of her outdoorsy friends only wear their wedding rings so its not completely unusual. I used to work with someone with a platinum er and gold wr and it looked really nice together IMO.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I only wear my WR day to day as I work in hospital. I put my ER on at weekends and on special occasions.

My mum and MiL don't wear an ER because neither of them have them. Mum doesn't because they were only engaged for 6 weeks, and MiL because FiL doesn't "do" things like that.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I am a little bit in love with my ER I much prefer to to my WR, I couldn't imagine only wearing one or the other.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics