Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Do your bridesmaid dresses 'match' your dress?

25 February, 2012 at 20:46 Posted on Planning 0 8

Help!

I'm having a panic stress with the bridesmaid dresses. I have always thought I wanted to go for a long blue chiffon maxi dress, one that I really wanted to buy for myself in the Summer to match my floaty grecian-style dress. However, leaving it VERY late, I have now settled on a wedding dress (2nd hand) which I love. BUT, it's TOTALLY different! (Sincerity 3166 - ivory, satin).

So, should I stick with the electric blue dress for the bridesmaids (Coast Symphony Maxi - a classic) or find something in satin? I have seen lots of nice blue dresses that are short and cheaper, but somehow I can't help thinking that the bridesmaids should have long dresses to complement my dress). We don't really have a 'colour theme' as such, but it is a spring wedding (so I need to be QUICK!!!!) All suggestions welcome! Thanks.

8 replies

Latest activity by jen_84, 26 February, 2012 at 17:29
  • T
    Beginner December 2011
    tallgal ·
    • Hide content

Nope, they don't need to match. My were long like mine but had strap whereas mine had a covered area at the top. Completely different but funnily enough looked great together! It will never even cross your mind on the day and other people won't think so either!

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

I doubt my bridesmaids will have the same design dress let alone the same as me (they will match colour, but not cut etc), so I really wouldn't worry

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

Nah, mine don't 'match' in any way and it doesn't bother me at all - my dress is dupipon silk, and BMs are wearing liquid satin - one in a pencil dress and one in very wide flowy trousers and bustier type top.

If you love those BM dresses I think chiffon would look great with satin - your dress will 'pop' more because of the matt flaoty ness of the chiffon!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Well I don't know if they should match, but I have a satin wedding dress in ivory, and my BMs are in aqua blue chiffon dresses. So we don't match, other than all being strapless. Even to the back detail, my dress is zip up, but they all preferred their dresses with a lace up back, so we are very different, and I'm sure no-one will really care.

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

Mine don't match and I don't particularly care :-) bms are in strapless a line dresses in a raw silk kind of material and mine although is still strapless is nothing like their dresses but they will look fine. I don't like things that exactly match anyway really.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

My wedding dress was satin & BM's satin & chiffon. I'd always thought it was the neck/bust line that 'traditionally' was the same or similar to the bride. (both strapless, both sweetheart, both with spagetti straps etc)

I personally dont think people will notice or care.

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

I have a satin dress and orginally wanted my Adult BMs in chiffon but when they tried it on it didn't look right on some of them so they now have satin in Petrol Blue. (this colour is the worest in the world to match!). My little BM's are in Ivory Satin BHS dresses. As we are only having a Civil Ceremony thought this would be too much satin, but all the girls love there dresses and are comfortable and that is what is important. Adults are in Lace up backs mine is a zip. I really don't think it matters as long as it is what you want.

• Flawless Weddings
    Flawless Weddings ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

I've done weddings where the bridesmaids have all different styles of dresses so really its personal taste......?

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

Mine don't match my dress at all - different shape, different necklines, different materials. Doesn't bother me at all.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics