Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ButterflyChild
Beginner May 2013

does a wedding ring need to sit flush against engagement ring??

ButterflyChild, 28 March, 2012 at 04:27 Posted on Planning 0 16

Im in a bit of a pickle!

I've been starting to look at wedding rings to try and get an idea of what it is I would like to have. I reckon I'll go for a plain white gold court band. But, my engagement ring is a 'princess' cut ring - square with the actual setting falls in line with the band which means that there would be a slight gap if I were to wear a plain band with it - does it really matter? Obviously I don't want it to look scruffy, nor do I want it looking mismatched and out of place but, I do know that I want to wear my wedding ring without my engagement ring at times - so a shaped ring wouldn't be for me.

Luckily H2B has bought me a second engagement ring - very similar in cut and shape except the setting is the same width as the band - meaning my WR will sit flush. The new engagement ring is due to arrive in the shop next Tuesday, Im feeling kinda bad though - I should have noticed the design fault in the first place. The plan next Tuesday is to go and try the new ring on with some wedding bands and try some on with my existing ER. I just cant help but feel bad Smiley sad ..If I take the new ER I'll still be keeping my existing ER, I'll just wear it on the other hand. So, does it REALLY matter if they don't sit 100% flush?

16 replies

Latest activity by ButterflyChild, 28 March, 2012 at 17:24
  • P
    Beginner August 2013
    Peppr Potts ·
    • Hide content

As with most things wedding related i think the only thing that really matters is hat you think of it - if you find a wedding ring that doesn't sit flush to your engagement ring but you like it, go with it!

I think the only way to be sure is to go try them on and see how you feel - happy hunting ?

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Peppr Potts, you're right. I'll not be certain of anything until I try rings on and see how they look. It only dawned on me when I started snooping at rings online :/

• P
    Beginner August 2013
    Peppr Potts ·
    • Hide content

I sometimes think an unusual shape ring with a plain one looks really nice as they're completely different then.... and how lucky are you having 2 engagement rings?! ?

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

Lol...H2B thought he'd treat me to a sparkly new one - it was down to half price because they're no longer stocking it and it's one that I mentioned I liked aaaggges ago! How he remembered I don't know!! He's paid for it and it is arriving into the shop next Tues, so I'll be able to try on different rings and see what looks best. I still feel bad that H2B has bought me a second ring though!

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for putting my mind at ease!!! Smiley laugh

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

Alternatively....Can a thicker band be put onto my existing ring?? Or is this just a 'almost finished night shift delerium'?

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

Mine don't sit right against each other so there is a little gap which I wasn't keen on but I didn't like the shaped rings either. I've decided it doesn't matter. Also the rings I was trying on we're huge for me so it might look a bit different in my size.

• K
    Beginner September 2012
    katzan ·
    • Hide content

I've gotten a shaped ring, as my ER isn't a standard ER and neither one of us liked the way it sat with the wedding bands.

I'm thinking that if I ever want to wear the wedding ring by itself I can always rotate the ring so that the shaped part is on the inside of my hand.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Mine have a tiny gap. I wanted wedding ring that could be worn alone too.

If you are really unhappy the way wedding rings sit with your current engagement ring, I think your best idea is to have your current ring/stone 'reset' into a design. That way you are still keeping what your partner proposed with, just modifying it. Plus if will be cheaper. A couple of ladies have had their reset on here, often to upgrade the metal setting to platinum, but the process would be the same.

Here are mine with a small gap that doesn't bother me:

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    Bee26 ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to wear my ER on my right hand after the wedding! I'd never actually heard of wearing them together until I joined hitched. My eR is round cut crystal so a non shaped Wr wouldn't sit right with it anyway.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Mine doesn't sit completely flush with my engagement ring, and that even after we had my engagement ring altered to improve the fit of it against a flat band. I think it looks lovely still though. The only issue would be if they were different metals, over a long period of time they would wear each other away.

But NO they don't have HAVE to sit flush. Its up to you and what you like really.

• C
    Beginner August 2012
    chloe_chloe ·
    • Hide content

I think you just have to decide if you like the way the rings sit together or not.

Personally it would drive me amd if I had a gap between mine so I'm going to get mine shaped to fit my ER. I accept that I am pedantic about things like that though and think that rings still do look nice even if there is a gap between.

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    ShellG ·
    • Hide content

I had the exact same problem and it did bother me (most people wouldn't notice - I am just really fussy)

Rather than having the wr cut into shape, I have had my engagement re-set. It is still princess cut but the diamond sits further up the ring to allow them to sit flush

• P
    Beginner August 2013
    Peppr Potts ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Glad to see i'm not the only person who gets this on night shifts!

Can't help with the thicker band thing though i'm afraid

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

my ER is a twist shape. There were a few WRs that fitted pretty well, but the issue I had was that I have quite large knuckles for the size of the base of my fingers (attractive!) so my ER tends to rotate a bit. this doesn't bother me, but even wearing them for a shortwhile the shaped rings parted company with the ER.

In fact I preferred the look of a straight band with my ER, it was more me (I'm not a very neat or 'together' person in appearance usually - I like things asymmetrical, offbeat and plain old wonky!). Also, having a straight band made it easier to commissione xactly what I wanted for my ring.

So, as the others have said, try some on and see what you like and don't like. I suprpised myself, I thought I wanted a plain WG band, but didn't like hem when I tried them!

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol!! This happens to me quite a lot!!! I get these 'bright' ideas that turn out to be ridiculous after a bit of sleep!! haha!

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone Smiley smile - thanks for all of your replies and pictures - they have helped me loads. You've really put my mind at ease Smiley smile ..I have attached a picture of my ring for you all to see. Its quite a prominent setting so do you think there will be much of a gap? I really really really want to keep on wearing my existing ring because Im so attached to it - afterall he did propose to me with it! I think that's why I am so antsy about how a WR will look with it. I suppose what I am saying is - I don't want a new ER :/

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics