Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elixia
Beginner March 2014

does anyone regret not filming their wedding?

Elixia, 4 of April of 2014 at 08:35 Posted on Planning 0 20

Its one of those things people tell you you'll regret not getting a VOG .... but I dont :/

I'm thinking i can't be the only one that doesn't regret not filming my wedding. I hate the sound my own voice, it just doesn't sound like me, just seeing myself in film makes me cringe. A few family members have filmed bit and they're quite ok ... but i still cringe. Not sure how'd i watch a 2 hr without plugging my ears and hiding behind a pillow.

20 replies

Latest activity by Bruce Neville Photography, 7 of April of 2014 at 10:46
  • BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

I want at VOG! But alas we can't afford one. We bought a video camera for the honeymoon and so my step-dad is going to film the ceremony, speeches and first dance. I know it's not the same thing but it's the closest we can come. I too hate my own voice (and face!) but I want that memory preserved for myself and my OH and any kids we might have (even though I am sure they would be bored to death by it!)

• Jens Hand Crafted Stationery
    Jens Hand Crafted Stationery ·
    • Hide content

I will admit, not having a videographer was my BIGGEST regret! Especially for moments like in the church, where I don't even remember walking in or out.

But more than anything, I just wish I could re live my wedding day all over again. Although I have wonderful memories and photographs, I would love to be able to sit down with my husband and watch our day all over again. The day passes so quickly that you feel like you blinked and missed it.

If you can afford one, Personally I'd get one.

xx

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Its funny because i can remember it all quite clearly, and i didn't feel the day whizzed by. I think i must be in the minority here. I'm half excited half dreading seeing my uncle filming of the ceremony.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I'm really in two minds over what to do here. Not even spoken with OH about it. We had agreed no but now I'm unsure. If we do decide no VOG, then I will ask my dad if he'd record it on his digicam so we have something, but I don't want to put a responsibility on my dad but I'm also keen to be able to relive the day. I too hate my own voice and pics of me etc etc as do the vast majority of us. aaargh

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I didn't even want my photos taken (I did, for my Mums sake), so a VOG would have been an even bigger no no.

My Mum suggested one for her wedding, and I was dreading her getting one. Luckily she didn't.

I wouldn't have been able to relax, knowing I was being filmed.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

I was heavily against photos (i hate the over-posing) until i saw more arty and candid photos so they'd look similar to when people get a surprise shot of me (where I'm not pulling a chandelier face) so instead i invested time into finding a TOG that would suit. still waiting on photos but fingers crossed I didn't muck them up!

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

Following with interest. We both decided we didnt want one but seeing polls about it not gettimg one being a common regret......prob cooked up by vogs to get more business....has made me wonder if we should do it. We too have splashed out on a tog tho so think we will stick with having photos we will hopefully love rather than being able to watch my ungrateful walk down the aisle and cringe at my inevitable sobbing.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

I personally think photos are of more value, you can frame them, getting a living photoframe, canvas them, put them in a book. feel more present in everyday life.

• F
    Beginner February 2014
    Follies123 ·
    • Hide content

We didn't organised a VOG and then my Nan (who was unable to attend) said she would like a video to watch so we were just going to stick a video camera at places in the room so it could capture everything but literally just on a tripod. Anyway my uncle actually decided to just video the whole thing himself with his own video camera (before ceremony, whole ceremony, speeches you name it) and I absolutely love watching it! It wasn't something I had asked him to do by I'm soooo happy he did! I'd forgotten half of what was said in the speeches and so its great to have a reminder.

My HUSBAND (still makes me chuckle!) on the other hand doesn't want to watch the vid as he says he just wants to remember it in his head xx

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^^^ this exactly.

We didn't want a dvd of our wedding - I hate watching myself on film and I've got no one else to show it to - everyone we cared about was there. My brother recorded my dad's speech though so I'm looking forward to seeing that again - hopefully this time I won't cry!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We've been married two years and my husband only watched ours a couple of weeks ago. He cried.

He said afterwards 'Ok, you were right. I can totally see it was worth it now'.*

*He NEVER says I'm right.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I'm like ER - I'd rather not have any photos, let alone a video!! We never considered getting a professional vog.

When I was BM for my cousin she had one who was very annoying filming when we were trying to get ready. When at the church and reception, I didn't even notice him, so in that respect I didn't feel any pressure of 'being filmed'.

What I liked about it was that both 'sides' got to see what the other was up to at that point. Whilst I found the getting ready filming annoying, the groom said he liked seeing us and what we were up to at the point he was still sitting in his pants! There was some funny scenes from outside the church of the groom and his best men, which we obviously didn't see, so that was good.

Still, I'm not having one!

• M
    Beginner May 2015
    MayBride2015 ·
    • Hide content

I really didn't want a VOG for my wedding as like you girls have said above I hate the sound of my own voice and the thought of being filmed just makes me cringe. However I have been told by so many of the OH's friends that it was the best thng they ever did as they were so wrapped up in everything the day flew by and they forgot who was there, speeches, who was up dancing their first dance with them etc.. For this reason we have decided to take the plunge and book one. I also like the thought of our children looking back at this one day and seeing their mummy & daddy getting married Smiley smile

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

Modern VOG's can create a fantastic video with the highlights of your day set to music. This is what I sometimes supply to my customers if they want both and whilst we also do record the ceremony & speeches, they never see the light of day except on the customer's DVD. So if you hate your own voice then you don't have to watch it or share it with the world.

But it is a great way to reminisce your day and a great compliment to your photographs. It's a service we're still developing but you can see a few examples of what I mean on my site here: https://www.martincphotography.co.uk/videographer-nottingham/

My main point is that it's no longer shaky cameras and a 3 hour epic that all your guests will want to avoid like the plague.

• Joebella44
    Beginner March 2015
    Joebella44 ·
    • Hide content

We've been debating this! I always thought it was a waste of money but then several people I know said it was the best thing they did. The more i've thought about the more i like the idea of being able to watch the ceremony etc back. Many people have said it flies by and it's all a blur and i love the idea of being able to watch it and see not just what we're doing but also what the guests are getting up to and what their reactions are. We're in two minds at the moment as to whether to book one or do as another person said and just stick our camera on a tripod and film the main bits ourselves. I guess in the end it will all come down to how much budget we have left!

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, if you want to and can by all means! We didnt have the best budget. all of our stuff was done by ourselves or gifts from family and friends. if we'd paid for all of it ourselves been suck. technically all we 'paid' for was the venue, entertainment, my attire, decor and the ceremony

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

I really, really, really would not cope well with being filmed at our wedding. I definitely wouldn't be able to relax. It's bad enough knowing a room full of people will be watching me let alone being recorded on film. I'd probably vomit and that's not an exagerration. Luckily my OH wasn't keen either. His Mum stated that if we weren't having a VOG she would film it herself... luckily she got over that little tantrum early on.

So I highly doubt I'll regret not filming our wedding, I'll let you know in 3 weeks!

• S
    Beginner August 2014
    Susiegirl1984 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't want a videographer for my wedding, as I think they can be a bit cheesy and put pressure on guests to record messages when they don't really want to. But getting a friend or family member to just film bits of the day on a camcorder is a brilliant thing to do - we got a friend to do this and it's so nice to have it to watch back as you really do forget half the stuff that happens!

• MrsBeckiW
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsBeckiW ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't have even considered a VOG if I hadn't of heard everyone on here saying they regret it or it was amazing.

My OH really doesn't want one though.

I'm a bit worried that by having a VOG I might see something I don't want to! I will probably watch it back and nit pick at every detail. I have really bad posture and I know standing all day will make me slouch a lot. That's bad enough in pictures, let alone a video.

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Why not compromise and have part of the wedding filmed, I am starting this year filming just the speeches and recording the vows/speeches to put in to a slideshow for my clients, have seen quite a few done like this now and it really is different.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics