Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lizzywills
Beginner August 2014

Does groom have to wear same suit as ushers etc?

Lizzywills, 11 of March of 2014 at 07:54 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi

We are having 6 boys age between 8 and 14, my brother who is giving me away and my OH's BIL in matching suits from a hire shop.

My OH Wants a slim fit suit and was going to have it made for him in the hire shop but is now thinking to get it made somewhere else with more options of grey (that's the colour suits we are having) as he would prefer a different shade if its a suit he's keeping and will wear again after the wedding.

do you think it will look odd if he has a different grey or could we play it that he's standing out as he's the groom?!

Another thing I was wondering is, is the groom supposed to wear the same cravat as the others, they are wearing plum as that's our bridesmaid colour. Should he be in plum too, that's what I was planning.

9 replies

Latest activity by mooshy, 11 of March of 2014 at 21:35
  • F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

There are no rules. He can wear whatever he likes. All of our bridal party will be in their own kilts with different styles of jackets and ties, which is much more authentic in my opinion.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

The groom doesn't have to wear the same suit or cravat at all. Quite often people have him in a contrasting suit and/or tie etc. What does matter though is that it's all in keeping and hangs together or it can look like he's gone to the wrong wedding lol. So for example, if all the other chaps were in traditional pin-stripe morning suits and he was in a modern slim fit trendy suit, that might look odd. But that said - some could carry that off.

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

No, not at all. He can wear what he wants.

We have hired suits for our Best men, and Ushers as it was easier than trying to get them all to buy something that matched. OH wants a new tailered suit so he is having different one. They are all wearing 3 piece grey suits but his won't match.

The rest of the boys are wearing black ties as that's what colour my BM's are wearing but OH is wearing a blush pink tie so he matches my flowers and we will look a bit 'softer' together colourwise

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Type 'groom in different suit to groomsmen' into google images and there are hundreds of examples - i don't think it will look odd at all x

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

My Husband wore a different suit, same tie and then had a different button hole.

• Lizzywills
    Beginner August 2014
    Lizzywills ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. That's put his mind at rest.

i googled and you were right there are loads of grooms in different suits and it still looks good.

off to Zumba Toning now so I can fit in my dress when the time comes!

• R
    Beginner March 2014
    rainforest7sparkle ·
    • Hide content

I had this question a couple of months ago. My OH has chosen a different suit to the best man and ushers and at the time he was worried it would look strange but we have seen them all together and they look fantastic. He stands out as a little bit different and I think that's nice considering the bride also stands out as different from her bridesmaids. Don't worry about it he will look great.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

We just bought OHs suit, a lovely royal blue three piece. The best men (all four of them!) and dads will just be wearing whatever suits they already have. I'm just going to bring them all together with buttonholes. I couldn't care less if they are all wearing different suit colours, I much prefer it than everything matching!

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

OH and his BM have been out tonight to order their suits and have chosen black morning suits, white waistcoats, purple ties. My younger brother and his younger brother are going to be ushers and are wearing suits they already own, they'll both be wearing grey suits with purple ties and pocket squares. I don't know if it will look odd, hadn't put much thought into it to be honest! The way I see it they'll all have buttonholes indicating they're part of the wedding party.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics