Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Random Name

Does my ER & WR have to be the same carat?

Random Name, 20 March, 2011 at 02:21 Posted on Planning 0 7

Morning all. I've started to look at wedding rings and wondered if my engagement ring and wedding ring should be the same carat? Will they discolour if they aren't the same? Thanks in advance

7 replies

Latest activity by Random Name, 27 March, 2011 at 08:22
  • mummytofour
    Beginner June 2011
    mummytofour ·
    • Hide content

Ooh im not sure! but i am still trying to decide on my rings! i want an engagent ring & wedding ring together as mine broke on me 5 years ago & i have never replaced it lol! so i dont know if i should go for a bridal wedding ring set or 2 seperate one's but i need to know if they will fit on the same finger together ok...

x

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

My engagement ring is 9ct so not sure if my wedding ring has to be too?

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

Lol my engagement ring has platinum detailing around the diamonds and a gold band, my wedding ring is 18c white gold...

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I posted about this the other day, my ER is 18ct and the WR i like is 9ct, the offical line is that the WR would over time wear away the ER however having spoken to people who have got the same situation and worn 2 diffirent carats for 40 odd years with no ill effects I am starting to wonder if its worth the gamble? Utimatley 9ct is harder than 18ct so for WR i think its the better choice?

• AllyMcBear
    Beginner June 2012
    AllyMcBear ·
    • Hide content

The girl from Smooch that came to us said that it depends on your what styles you choose. I have an 18ct ER but am getting an 9ct WR but it has diamonds all around so she said that it shouldnt matter.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies. My engagment rings is quiet "busy" so want a plain band. Think will go with a wedding ring thats the same carat.

Thanks all

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I have an 18ct ER and have had a 9ct WR made using an old ring of my Gran's. The jeweller made it and knew that my ER was 18ct and did not warn us against it or anything. Granted I didn't explicitly ask, but if it was a major problem he would have said (he is an old family friend) and could have actually (at a profit to him) tried to get us to buy a new 18ct ring.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that Knitting_vixen. That's good to know

My WR is 9ct but have just fallen in love with a Plantinum ring from Tiffany. Think I am going to take the risk.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics