Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner May 2016

Does planning a wedding bring out the worst in you?

citychick, 15 of July of 2009 at 13:37 Posted on Planning 0 8

I've just got engaged and we've set the sate for May 2010. I've been a bridesmaid for two of my friends before and they seemed to find the planning very stressful, to the point where they wondered whether they should bother. They also became a bit unreasonable and divaish and all their worst qualities came out. They both had fantastic days and reverted to their lovely selves afterwards!

Am slightly concered i might turn into my own bridezilla and become a complete pain in the arse to those around me! Just wondered how everyone has found themselves managing and handling it all?

8 replies

Latest activity by twf, 15 of July of 2009 at 22:11
  • mimimouse23
    Beginner May 2010
    mimimouse23 ·
    • Hide content

Honestly I just try not to talk about it too much! Some people are really interested (usually girls who are married as they like to give you tips!) but when I am out with my friends unless they ask I don't mention it. Partly as I don't want to bore them to death and partly so some parts of the day will be a suprise.

I think just bear in mind although its important to you, and everyone is happy for you, they don't need to hear about 24/7!

However don't worry too much and just enjoy and by the way congratulations!

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

?

first of all - congrats on your engagement!

to answer your question briefly - no, I don't think so. Planning can be extremely stressful and very nerve wrecking especially when things don't go as you envisioned them but I think its a different experience for each person depending on how they usually cope with stress, what support you have from family and your H2B and most importantly how relaxed and flexible you are with your plans. If you set out to make the perfect wedding where everything has to be just so and you will not tolerate any diversions from the original plan, then maybe you end up slightly bridzillaring it.

Also you will have moments when you want to strangle people - but how is that different from everyday life?...

Anyway I'm April 2010 so you could probably get a better perspective from those who are nearly there!

good luck with your planning - you will always get support and feedback here in any case!

• Stupidgirl45
    Beginner July 2009
    Stupidgirl45 ·
    • Hide content

Well I am nearly there, as you can tell from my ticker. I have got massively stressed about it all, but that's just the sort of person I am.

I find that actually weddings seem to bring out the worst in everyone - especially judging by some of the family issues some Hitchers have had.

I guess just try to remain calm and don't sweat the small stuff (she says, oh so wisely, having not followed her own advice) And also, don't lose sight of the real reason you're getting hitched.

The only thing that has kept me sane is thinking about saying my vows to the person I love most in the world

SG

• moomin8804
    Beginner July 2009
    moomin8804 ·
    • Hide content

YES is the short answer!

I've become irrational and stressy, and i worry about the silliest little things like co-ordinating colours etc that really don't matter! I'm actually quite relieved that the planning is nearly over for me!

• Monkeybear959
    Beginner June 2008
    Monkeybear959 ·
    • Hide content

No, not in me. I had my moments but most people commented on how organised and cool I was. I'm an event coordinator anyway in m 9-5 life so took to it like a duck to water. My two best friends though did not, they both talked with their feet and decided it was too much for them, it was more about how they thought i should change something in our wedding because they didn't like it rather than me being a *** to them!

It brought out the worst in our parents though, except my Dad... Mum didn't speak to me for 2 weeks because I didn't want the parents to swap partners to walk out of the church, I just wasn't bothered and she couldn't understand why! They did it in the end because I didn't want her to get in a mood on rehearsal night so there I told them to do what they wanted.

Just remember it's about one day and two people...

Claire x

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Not as much as i thought it would so far. i may get worse over the next three years. i can be quite OCD.

To be honest its my family that have been the worst. Unfortunately i am no longer on speaking terms with one cousin after comments about our provisional guest list started an argument and brought out a lot of other issues. To be honest i really don't think i'll hear from her again, unless we come across each other at family do's. My parents have also been quite funny about our budgetting ideas (which i feel is a fairly modest budget to plan a wedding on)

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

I've been pretty good so far. I've almost been a bit of a 'zilla over the BM dresses but I think that's because I was too relaxed about them early on. 2 of my BM's insist I'm not being, and one of those would definitely pull me up if I was. I've been told by a few people that I'm too relaxed about it all - you can't win sometimes! I've argued with my mother, but that happens whether there's a wedding or not. I had one night a couple of weeks ago where I felt quite down about it all and the pressure got to me, but I was fine the next morning.

I'm sure it'll only get worse of the next 8 or so weeks.

I've argued with my mother, but that happens whether there's a wedding to plan or not.

Of all my friends who've married already I can't think of any who went 'zilla. My CBM was super super chilled last year (well, from what we saw, she since told me it took her a week of her HM to calm down from the stress!)

• twf
    Beginner August 2009
    twf ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, I would not say the worst in me but I have had a couple of moments, but thinking about them I would of been annoyed etc anyway, is just that it is wedding stuff so has annoyed me more if you know what I mean.

I did have a big row over the cake with my Mum last week though, but thinking about it now I realise that she was prob right (basically I was getting shafted over price lol)

I think that the above though has been coming to the boil as she seems to be more stressed than me about the wedding so I guess at least it has cleared the air! I hope anyway!

Maybe my bridesmaids, OH, and Mum would say otherwise?!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics