Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner

Does the bride always have to stand on the left side?

Feanor, 28 January, 2010 at 17:19 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi

I know this may seem like a daft question, but I'd really prefer to stand on the right of my OH when we get married. All of the photo's I've seen the bride is always on the left!

Does anyone know if you HAVE to for any reason?

We are getting married in Gozo, small outdoor ceremony and not religious at all.

F x

3 replies

Latest activity by cola, 29 January, 2010 at 20:35
  • Blackkat
    Beginner July 2008
    Blackkat ·
    • Hide content

When my mum got married she had a really traditional toastmaster who explained about all the customs, like why the wedding finger is worn on the finger that its worn on. Now I'm afraid I didnt listen to all the detail but I believe that the bride stands on the left because the groom used to carry his sword on his right side! Now i'll doubt you'd have to worry about that but i would check and i suppose it depends on how tradional your vicar or registrar is.

• fancyfree
    Beginner April 2010
    fancyfree ·
    • Hide content

I want to high-five my friends when I walk out of the church. So for me that dictates what side I'll be stood on, and where they will be sat.

?

edit: I totally got the wrong end of the stick - ignore me, I've had a glass of wine after a stressful day!!

• videogal
    videogal ·
    • Hide content

It's just traditional and is very much to do with the sword being on the right side so that the groom has that hand free to retrieve his sword to ward off other suitors.

I don't think you'll have any problems LOL but I guess people just stick with tradition. ? Just ask your officiator and see if you can swop things around to how you would like it to be.

x

• cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

Aaarrrgggghh i am so confused, have trouble with my left and right !!! thank goodness OH will hopefully be stood in the right place.

i did have a chuckle at the image of me hi fiving my nan as i walkied passed her.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics