Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner August 2014

Does the song meaning matter?

jennapops, 9 of July of 2014 at 12:15 Posted on Planning 0 4

I can't decide what music to walk down the aisle to.

I really want it to be a song I love, but I love rock and metal and can't find anything appropriate. I came across some Piano Tribute songs on Spotify and some of my favourite songs are on there, and as they have no words they are a good option.

I found a tribute to 'Leave out all the rest' by Linkin Park, which is a beautiful song and sounds lovely on piano, however the words are really quite depressing as they are about hoping you'll be remembered for something good after you die.

My OH says that it doesn't matter, as the words won't be sung and barely any of our guests will recognise the song, however I can't help but feel that I shouldn't walk down the aisle to a song with that kind of meaning.

What do you all think and what are you having?

4 replies

Latest activity by xoxoxo2017, 9 of July of 2014 at 14:38
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I think it matters. We're not having any music for our ceremony as we're getting married at Gretna with very few guests and there is no aisle as such, but I will need to think about this when we plan a reception party later. I know lots of people have said that they don't mind if songs are breakup songs or whatever, but I couldn't do it personally. I think I pay a lot of attention to lyrics and set a lot of store by the meanings, but some people don't do that so much.

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it matters unless it matters to you, are the words of the song going to be in your head as you walk in? If so, probably choose something different. Choosing the ceremony music is so hard! We agonised over it for months until we got to the 'oh *** it!' stage and just chose things we like/are inoffensive. We walked in to 'Lady (hear me tonight)' by Modjo.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

I dont think it matters. The song I want to walk to is sung by a Christian rock band, and this one is aimed at God. However there is no direct reference to God and I am not religious. If I imagine the lyrics are being sung about a person I love

then it is well fitting.

For waiting ceremony music we are just having songs that we like, whether the lyrics are on about love or not. To be honest I doubt people will be paying that much close attention to the lyrics! Go with what sounds awesome!

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it matters. If you find the music beautiful then that's all that matters.

I am walking into the instrumental version of a song that Madonna wrote about her dead mother. The lyrics are dreadfully sad, but the music is incredibly beautiful and classic. Maybe I am odd for doing that, but I love the music, and I am a huge Madonna fan, the song is from the first album I ever bought, so to me it's special. That's all that matters really.

I agree with your OH, a lot of people might not recognize the music with no lyrics, so won't think twice about it. And to be honest, a lot of people don't really notice the music anyway, it's more for us really, knowing that it was played. I expect if you asked anyone a week later if they could remember the music, they wouldn't be able to.

• xoxoxo2017
    Beginner May 2017
    xoxoxo2017 ·
    • Hide content

Well... my "entrance song" is going to be Ellie Goulding's version of 'How Long WIll I Love You'. its quite popular for this purpose at the moment which I dislike, however I first heard it driving down the motorway in my car listening to her album, months before it was even released!! I was driving back home from visiting my parents and really looking forward to getting back to my Mr. We werent even engaged at the time, but as I put it on repeat and listened to the words closely, and the melody, i knew that when the time come I would suggeest it. Nothing else had ever took my fancy on the times my friends and I discussed the "what ifs" of weddings. I thought H2B would say no as he doesnt like Ellie's music all that much, but he loved it also, so done deal. Our first dance song.... well, we had been together only a few weeks at the time (but had been close friends almost a year seeing each other for social events most weekend) and were spending our second weekend together as a couple at his place (well, his parents). We were cooking a spag bol together in the kitchen, drinking wine, and having a good old laugh. During a brief moment of no talking or laughing we heard the song playing in the background with the lyrics "Lucky I'm in love with my best friend, lucky to have been where we have been" (Jason Miraz - Lucky). We both jsut grinned at each other and fell into a "awww aint that sweet" hug. i think he promptly slapped my bottom and asked if i wanted a top up Smiley winking Anyway we often referred to this as "our song", and on the night of the proposal i said "do you know what should be our first dance...." and he grinned at me. We knew it was this. We had said similar things before we were even engaged, often spoke of a future wedding! H2B is in charge of all the other musical aspects though. For the signing of the register it starts with No Greater Love, the Amy WInehouse version, then into another i cant remember. Exit song is "All you need is love" the Beatles Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics