Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lucifer
Beginner January 2001

Does this sound like a reasonable venue price?

Lucifer, 25 of September of 2011 at 13:52 Posted on Planning 0 40

Hiya, I'm new to the site and wedding planning in general, got engaged a month ago and have been lurking around the forum but having picked up my engagement ring yesterday I feel like I can actually start planning!

Anyhoo, we went to see a venue today and I love it, it's an original Tudor B&B and I was sold when the pond in their garden had a duck lol. This is the first venue I've seen, but we are on a tight budget (probably about 5K total) and I'm just looking for some opinions on the price we were quoted:

£3750 includes:

- exclusive venue hire for the day and reception

- registrar fee

- bridal suite room

- wedding breakfast and wine for 24

- welcome glass of cava for 24

- toast glass of cava for 24

- evening buffet for 45

Any kind of input would be great,

Cheers,

Lucy x

40 replies

Latest activity by Lucifer, 3 of October of 2011 at 22:17
  • niknaks22
    Beginner August 2012
    niknaks22 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,Welcome to hitched and congrats on your engagement Smiley smile

I think that's a bit expensive - obviously it depends on where you are in the country. I'm in Glasgow paying £200 more and having 75 people during the day and a buffet for 125, the only different being I don't have exclusive hire of the venue as it's a big hotel.

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    staceylynch6 ·
    • Hide content

That does sound rather expensive for only 24 people im having a wedding in glasgow also for 80 people for that price and im also on a strict budget of 5k

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    staceylynch6 ·
    • Hide content

Hi niknaks where in glasgow are you getting married?

• niknaks22
    Beginner August 2012
    niknaks22 ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in the Thistle Hotel, what about you?

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Sounds reasonable to me.

I'm paying 7k for

Exclusive use of venue wedding and reception

37 guest bedrooms

72 x welcome drinks

3 course wedding breakfast x72

evening buffet x 72

full english breakfast x 72

I have to pay for registrar seperatley

Watch out for all the "little add ons" chair covers are costing me 280 ish upgrading alcohol to what we want £1200 (it is a lot of booze to be fair!)

Tea and Coffee charged at extra...

EDIT: I am in the southeast

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

But AlisonF - you are paying twice the price but getting 3 times the food! I think it is a bit pricey

For about £3000 we'll get exclusive use, dinner for 45, wine and champange toast plus a buffet for about 50 (assuming not everyone will eat that much!)

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    staceylynch6 ·
    • Hide content

Pollokshields burgh hall so bringing in my own caterers which is great.

• niknaks22
    Beginner August 2012
    niknaks22 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, we looked at doing that in Partick Burgh Hall, but we're planning from Czech Republic and relying on my mum & sister to do most things so ended up booking everything in the hotel for less fuss. Pollockshields Burgh Hall looks lovely, you will get some gorgeous photos there!

What have you got organised? I think I've got just about all the big things, just the small things (accessories, hair, make up, favours) to sort but I have a nagging feeling that I've missed something!

• MrsBtobe1980
    Beginner September 2012
    MrsBtobe1980 ·
    • Hide content

I think it sounds pricey, but just depends on what your after, my sister is in staffordshire and is paying 5k for alot more and a statly home.

We are paying 4.5k for 75 guests, for breakfast, 150 at night buffet, bridal suite, stationary, drinks reception, 2 guest rooms for parents and few other bits

sarah

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I got married in March, at a DeVere hotel and my reception package was £5,000 for 60 guests plus £65 per head on top of that (we had 65 people in total during the day).

This included: venue hire, reception drink each, 3 course wedding breakfast, 1/2 bottle wine each, toasting wine each and evening buffet for 75% of day guests. Plus red carpet, cake stand, MC (venue manager) and bridal suite for the wedding night.

This didn't include registrar as we got married in church.

£3750 divided by 24 guests is £156.25 per head

£5000 divided by 60 guests is £84 per head... even if I add in the extra 5 guests (£325) and the cost of the church (£800) it is still only £102 per head for the day.

But having said that, it is your day and your budget so if it is the venue for you then go for it (although with a £5k budget it only leaves you £1k or so for everything else you may want...). Try not to make decisions solely with your heart... let your head do the decision making too!

Good Luck!

• tonileehall
    Beginner August 2012
    tonileehall ·
    • Hide content

This is our venue

We are paying the following:

£395 for ceremony

£1,512 for 3 course meal for 36 people - this includes welcome drink of pimms or bucks fizz, wine with the meal and another glass of champagne for the toast

£600 for an evening buffet for 70 people

£250 for DJ

£60 to upgrade complimentary room to honeymoon suite

TOTAL: £2,817

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    staceylynch6 ·
    • Hide content

Still got all the wee bits to do yet and going to get bridesmaid dresses soon. like the idea of having the whole building so looking forward to that ? still got a year to go so plenty of time to get it all sorted ?

• Lucifer
    Beginner January 2001
    Lucifer ·
    • Hide content

Cheers guys, I think I am just really naive with this stuff and got all excited because I love old, quirky buildings. Seems like I need to look at some more places based on what you guys are getting for your money as it does seem a bit pricey now. This wedding stuff is way more complicated than I ever imagined! Must go back to the drawing board for North Staffordshire locations...

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    Mrswebb2b ·
    • Hide content

Sounds a bit expensive to me too.

Our basic package is £2000 for

Exclusive use of venue

3 course wedding breakfast for 50

Buffet for 100

DJ

Room for the night of the wedding.

There quite a few extras that bump it up to closer to 4k but thats just because we want extra things like wine on every table and table decoration

HTH xx

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is understandable getting excited by a venue you like but it is always best to look around, compare and haggle with them to get some money discounted. what particular area are you looking? we don't mind searching for some venues for you ?

• Lucifer
    Beginner January 2001
    Lucifer ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Now there's an offer I can't refuse ?

I'm in Stoke on Trent so just looking around the whole of North Staffordshire. After some serious internal debate I've decided that I'm not entirely against doing a registry office then separate reception jobby (which I was before for some reason), so all day or reception only venues are fair game... have at it! ?

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

Ours cost a little more than yours and we had the main room which had its own bar for the wedding breakfast, and a small lounge area again with a bar as an extra in the evening, plus patio area and huge grounds with a lake, three course meal plus coffee/tea for 80, evening buffet for 150, welcome drinks and toast drinks and wine on the tables. It depends a bit what you want - ours wasn't a big posh building but the food was fab, we had lots of space and they were really flexable about eveything - menu, timings, bar, using the lounge etc.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Quite a few here:

http://www.staffordshirecivilweddings.co.uk/premises.htm

• Lucifer
    Beginner January 2001
    Lucifer ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've already discounted most of those venues due to price and/or location. The Old Hall is actually the one we went to see today Smiley smile I still need to check out Consall Gardens but they don't have accommodation so that would be an extra cost.

Thanks though, I really appreciate the input. Realistically we could afford the quote plus about £1000 for my dress/shoes and H2B's suit but he was very quiet on the way back which is never a good sign. Just doing some rough costings for a registry office/village hall combo.

Just going to Vegas is becoming very tempting!

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

Ay up Duck! (that will make sense to Lucifer!)

I'm another stokie and we're on a budget too.

We've chosen Wedgwood Memorial College, it's new to doing weddings but is council owned.

Venue hire is £750 peak time

Wedding breakfast 3 courses around £22

Drinks Package £10

They have a civil license and bedrooms too

https://www.stoke.gov.uk/ccm/content/education/adult-and-community-learning/wedgwood-ccc/wedding-venues.en

You have the use of both buildings on site. Ive got some pics of the inside. I'll pop them on if you want?

Some rough maths, with your numbers, venue hire ,food, drinks, evening buffet for your numbers £1968

It was the cheapest we found

• abbijay
    Beginner October 2011
    abbijay ·
    • Hide content

Have a look at a few Cheshire and Shropshire border venues, they're only a few miles further up the road so most guests will still find it easy to get there. If you like the look of the Old Hall have a look at Haslington Hall.

Are you looking at mid-week or weekend and are you looking at summer or out of season? This will have a hige impact on how costly it is so we may not be comparing apples with apples here!

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

• lil_kel
    Beginner September 2013
    lil_kel ·
    • Hide content

I think it sounds a little expensive.

were paying £4200 for,

the hire of 3 different room's for ceremony, wedding breakfast and evening reception

welcome drinks for 75

4 course wedding breakfast for 75

champers for toast for 75

bridal suite

disco for evening reception

buffet for 120

This also includes master of ceremonys and rooms to get ready etc

• Lucifer
    Beginner January 2001
    Lucifer ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Soulmates! May your oatcakes be plentiful Smiley laugh

That place looks really nice! I'll do a bit more investigating but you may have saved the day Smiley laugh

Pics of inside would be fab, thanks duck [I feel a bit of a cheat typing that, I never say duck in real life lol)

x

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

I've sent you an email with a link to an album with the pics in.

They only got a license this year, they had a wedding fayre in June which we went to, that's when we took some of the photos. It's a lovely place, the staff were really friendly and the canapes that were out were yummy!

If you go to the bottom of this link https://www.stoke.gov.uk/ccm/content/education/adult-and-community-learning/wedgwood-ccc/wedding-venues.en all the files are there to download with the menus etc.

Give me a shout if I can be of any use!

• Lucifer
    Beginner January 2001
    Lucifer ·
    • Hide content

You're a star, it looks lovely and the main room fits with my colour scheme so perhaps it was meant to be. I've had a mooch through the menus & drinks packages with H2B and he seems quite keen to go and see the place so I'm going to try and ring the on Wednesday - exciting!!

If we do book I'll mention you, see if it will get you some extras lol.

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

EEK! How exciting!!!

What date were you thinking of? They offered us a bouncy castle for free! lol!

• Lucifer
    Beginner January 2001
    Lucifer ·
    • Hide content

We're thinking November 2012, but if it's a good price then we might be able to do a bit sooner like September in the hopes of catching a bit of nice weather. Are you taking the bouncy castle? Wonder if I could negotiate some laser quest...

• Lucifer
    Beginner January 2001
    Lucifer ·
    • Hide content

Well fairly typical of my luck...phoned them this morning and was told they are no longer taking wedding bookings because the college might be closing down so they don't want to commit to bookings Smiley sad

Back to the drawing board for me.

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OMG!!!! think I'd better give them a call!

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

Looks like my wedding plans are ruined

• Lucifer
    Beginner January 2001
    Lucifer ·
    • Hide content

Nooo, did you speak to them? I would have thought they'd honour any existing bookings

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics