Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

bluewater
Beginner August 2009

does your wedding clash with any other big event?

bluewater, 17 June, 2009 at 11:35 Posted on Planning 0 40

I've just found out that my h2b's beloved celtic have selfishly decided to schedule a friendly match on the date of our wedding. it's not that big a deal at all though - i expect the match will be at 3, the wedding is at 2, and given it's a friendly, hopefully no-one will care what the result is (here's hoping).

there's also a racing meet going on at the racing circuit a mile away from the hotel - it's only a very small meet though, so won't affect the wedding (though we'll be able to hear the cars going round the circuit - cool!)

so it got me thinking - do you know if your wedding date clashes with any big sporting/music event? i have to say, i do feel for b2b's getting married between 10 june and 11 july next year - you will have to contend with the world cup....

<bluewater quickly goes away to google wedding date again to double check nothing else is going on>

40 replies

Latest activity by Debntez, 17 June, 2009 at 20:59
  • vikki-04/07/09
    Beginner July 2009
    vikki-04/07/09 ·
    • Hide content

Yes ours is the same day that the british lions final test match is on

This is hugeee in our family and not sure where / what people are going to do

When we booked the wedding 2 years ago we had to consider the rugby and OH said he thought it would be over by then so he was wrong and i dont care lol

• Weather Girl
    Beginner October 2009
    Weather Girl ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh I'm not sure...I don't think so. Does anything happen on 2nd October?!

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

The olympics? lol

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha...I had this - Originally had planned for our wedding to be next summer, around June time.

Didn't realise its the World cup! Luckily we brought it forward anyway so didn't have to worry about it!

My reception clashes with the Great North Run, so I've got a few guests doing the run in the morning , then coming later on! x

• Laura_Lee
    Beginner
    Laura_Lee ·
    • Hide content

Didn't think so until we had a decline from someone who is going to the Michael Jackson concert instead!

OH and I always joked we had to get married on an 'odd' year so as not to clash with Euros or World Cup!

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

you never know, jacko might pull out of the tour and your guest gets to come after all! and he's doing 40-odd dates, why did they pick the one date that clashes with your wedding? i hope it's not a close family member....!

ditto on the euros and world cup discussion!

• chids
    Beginner
    chids ·
    • Hide content

Ours was the day of the 1st match of the football season, H's team was away so he wouldn't have gone to the game anyway but he kept getting text updates throughout the reception

• FIONATS73
    Beginner August 2009
    FIONATS73 ·
    • Hide content

? This has been a major conversation in our house.

I do know he will be spending his last night of freedom, if they are on sky. Watching his beloved Saints! Thank god they are not playing on the next day.

If it had been the weekend of the challange cup final for Rugby League, and Saints got through. Well there would have been war! H2b joked it would have been cancelled the wedding that is!

But he has checked and it is the following weekend.

x

• summer_sparkles
    Beginner August 2009
    summer_sparkles ·
    • Hide content

Tsk! Obviously there's no bigger event than our wedding! ?

Only joking, it's the August bank holiday weekend, I think there is some kind of festival...

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know what you mean - I'm in serious trouble with both my H2B and a lot of our friends as our Stag / Hen weekend is booked (and has been for a while!) for 7-9th August - Challenge Cup Semi's so Warrington Wolves best get through or else will seriously ruin the weekend! Haha Xx

• Laura_Lee
    Beginner
    Laura_Lee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No just a distant cousin and it was an evening invite, not too worried if they don't make it. There was one day invite who had had the save the date and checked the date before booking otherwise they would be there too!

Actually we have had quite a few declines for the evening - makes me wonder if sending save the dates to the evening guests too would have been a good idea...

• Juicymelons
    Beginner May 2010
    Juicymelons ·
    • Hide content

Well I knew June was the wrold cup, Royal Ascot and the Epsom Derby so no way was I missing any of those events ! so we plumped for May, though the football fixtures have come out and spurs are playing their last home game of the season on the 1st, oh is a Spurs fan and two of the ushers are season ticket holders, so I can see lot's of mobile phone updates going on after the ceremony ...............

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

Mine clashes with Burghley Horse Trials, which I and a few of my guests normally go to. IT's always the same weekend so it will therefore clash with our anniversary so I'm going to miss it in future years too (Can't see OH agreeing to go to that!).

I also found out at the weekend from a dissappointed uncle that we also clash with the Bude Jazz Festival!!

I was a bit gutted when I realised I'd clashed with Burghley, mainly because I was very mildly annoyed at my friend for doing the exact same thing last year!!

• bethanw
    Beginner May 2010
    bethanw ·
    • Hide content

I wanted to get married in May or July 2010. The only Saturday they had free in those two months was 15th May. My h2b phoned the FA (yep really) and that's the day they're proposing to hold the FA Cup final next year (it may change but not likely due to the World Cup).

H2B & BM are Spurs season ticket holder's so would have been gutted if by some sort of miracle Spurs got to the final and they had to miss it. Also, it's more than likely one of the big teams will get to the final so i didn't want people checking their phones throughout the meal or our evening guests going to the pub in the day to watch it and then turning up at the reception already half cut! I don't think anyone we're inviting would seriously do this but i really didn't want the risk so we're getting married on a Friday instead!

• mimimouse23
    Beginner May 2010
    mimimouse23 ·
    • Hide content

Argg! Im the 15th May 2010! Just rung OH to inform him that our wedding would clash with FA cup final he didn't seem that bothered and said he would sky plus highlights (which will probably be the only thing he does remember!) however it will be irritating if people are checking phone etc all day, oh well its all booked so no going back.

• cheska
    Beginner May 2009
    cheska ·
    • Hide content

Ours clashed with the eurovision song contest. don't think anyone was bothered

• bethanw
    Beginner May 2010
    bethanw ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't stress about it. I would hope most of my guests would respect that it's our day. My boss' suggestion to the problem?..........put a screen up in the bar!!!!! And that's coming from a woman who hates football!

• BonnieLass
    BonnieLass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just checked & mine does too!!lol

• DianeB
    Beginner August 2009
    DianeB ·
    • Hide content

Father in Law will miss the stream rally and it's the middle of harvest (not a farmer so didn't know) so H2b brother will not attend.

Family isn't interested in football or rugby so i'm lucky there.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

The only thing Google throws up at the moment is an Italian car day at Epsom so think we're ok!

We're outside of the football season and after the World Cup and that's all I'm really fussed about!

• fiona84
    Beginner July 2009
    fiona84 ·
    • Hide content

Our Wedding lands the same weekend as T in the Park this year so a few guests wont be at the wedding.

x

• FIONATS73
    Beginner August 2009
    FIONATS73 ·
    • Hide content

My Cousin got married in April, Man Utd where playing and I was sat next to my uncle. He was receiving text message updates all through the meal. I actually put his phone on silent! As he did not know how to. He was telling my cousin's dad every time they scored! Who was obviously on the top table

x

• inalein
    Beginner August 2010
    inalein ·
    • Hide content

Ours clashes with the last day of the Edinburgh Tattoo....trying to get a piper is a pain in the backside....

Oh and according to google it also clashes with the 25th International Ornithology Congress and other such interesting events ?

• bethanw
    Beginner May 2010
    bethanw ·
    • Hide content

Oh my god.....sod the football. My wedding now clashes with the release of the second Sex and the City movie!

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

Oh no! I've just discovered that my date clashes with the Dundee Migraine Education day! If only I'd known!

• hely08
    Beginner September 2009
    hely08 ·
    • Hide content

Frome cheese festival ? and coldplay in manchester so not too bad !!

its also national grandparents day

• L
    Beginner August 2010
    louisep ·
    • Hide content

We had to change our wedding date due to the ryder cup, the hotel where we had booked our wedding reception had booked 20 of their 28 rooms out due to a government initiative which made every hotel within the area hold their rooms cos the ryder cup is such a big event.

at the time we were gutted, but now we like our new date cos it means we get married sooner.

• emmyroo22
    Beginner October 2009
    emmyroo22 ·
    • Hide content

We had to shedule our wedding around the bloody labour party conference in brighton!! Ridiculous!! H2B isn't allowed a single day off when its on (the whole of september) so we had to go for the first weekend of october, only to be told once we've booked it that there are no guarentees he wont be on a night shift the day before our wedding as the conference ends the day before!!

So fingers crossed someone, somewhere will take pity on us and give him a day shift or even better the day off!!

• CBear
    Beginner April 2009
    CBear ·
    • Hide content

Ours was on Grand National Day. Which means a lot to my family, because my uncle who I was very close to was a world reknown historian on the National - he went to everyone from the age of 8 to when he died at 70 last year - including the one on his own wedding day (my aunt booked the date without realising!), and he's had a whole load of books on the race published. One of my cousins didnt come as se went to Aintree - she had been ever ear with m uncle and she felt she had to go this year for him, as if she didn't she wasn't sure if she'd be ableto go again, which I understood. My other cousin and my aunt came, it was hard for them but the both told me he would have been really happy for me. I toasted him in speech.

Also, I put some money on a couple of horses, and won!

• Laura_Lee
    Beginner
    Laura_Lee ·
    • Hide content

Wow he had a good innings...! What a nice way to remember him in your speech.

• CBear
    Beginner April 2009
    CBear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Tell me about it! It was in Manchester last year, and apparently we did such a good job that the Tories are here this year, and they'll be alternating for the next four! We had to change our honeymoon plans around this year's one, I managed to get the first week of September off, but we were hoping to go a bit later. Bloody politicians!

• CBear
    Beginner April 2009
    CBear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, just noticed that, went back and edited it. Oops!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics