Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

venart
Beginner June 2013

Dog breeder recommendations in Kent/Surrey/E Sussex

venart, 7 March, 2012 at 19:04 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 5

So OH and I looking to get a puppy this summer, preferably July, so we need to get a move on with finding some reputable breeders!

I've always had large dogs (german shepherd, yellow lab, weimaraner) and OH has never had a dog before, and says he doesn't want a dog that looks like he couldn't take in a fight. Ok, so I suppose that's the shepherd out, then, but I think it's most other large dogs out, as well- though he's said he wouldn't mind a lab (me: wouldn't mind?!?!). We've decided that our ideal breeds would be Labradoodle, or other poodle cross (Id even consider a Lhasa-poo, even though they're so small, they're just so cuddly!), labrador, brittany, or west highland terrier (this was strictly OH's choice, but I've heard they're lovely dogs).

I know it's a strange cross-section of breeds, but if anyone knows reputable breeders of any of these or similar breeds to the south/south-east of London I would be so so so grateful!

5 replies

Latest activity by venart, 7 March, 2012 at 22:21
  • Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

Where are you from OP?

• Nubbin
    Beginner January 2012
    Nubbin ·
    • Hide content

I have a westie, runt of the litter. Amazing wee dogs Smiley smile

Sorry, no help but just stating my team westie allegiance!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're in Orpington.

As for rescue, we've considered it, as I've had one before. OH's concern (and mine, tbh), is that we will be starting a family in the next few years, and a problem my brother is having at the moment is that their rescue dog can't handle their 10 month old baby being in the home. The dog is frightened of the baby, growls when he crawls anywhere near the dog's food area or toys. She's a great dog otherwise, so it's sad that my SIL and brother are having to keep her in a different area of the flat for safety's sake.

I know it's possible to get a lovely family pet as a rescue, but I do feel like if we can raise a puppy ourselves I will feel a lot better about having children. The breeds we've looked into are specifically good with children. I think we'd get a rescue if we met the perfect dog, but otherwise we'd like to raise him/her ourselves.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics