Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hounds
Beginner May 2024 Hampshire

Dogs at weddings

Hounds, 20 of May of 2024 at 14:57 Posted on Planning 0 16
Hello everyone,

I was just interested in getting some general advice/opinions regarding dogs at weddings.
I recently started my own little business called Hounds of Honour, which is a bespoke wedding dog chaperone service, and the reactions I’ve had so far have been very interesting.
It seems that a lot of people haven’t even considered that they could have their dog at their wedding (or even for part of it like for photos etc.) which I find very disheartening. My dogs are a massive part of my family and I couldn’t think of anything worse than leaving my dogs at home on my big day.
I’d be really interested to know what arrangements people tend to have for their 4 legged friends and whether they just don’t know that this is an option?
It would be ever so useful to find out what people views are Smiley smile.
Thanks so much everyone!
Lx

16 replies

Latest activity by Nikkimerc, 1 of June of 2024 at 11:13
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Whenever I have seen couples dogs at weddings it is usually a visit during the photos after the ceremony and maybe for lack of a bespoke service like yours they tend to ask neighbours or friends to pop over with them such as friends that may be coming for the evening.

They stay for 1-1.5 hours and then leave, most of the time it is just for the photos but occasionally it is for the ceremony as well but this is rearer due to the venues rules or the couple knowing how their dog might react with a lot of people inside. Then there is the even rearer too when the dog is the ring barer

Dogs at weddings 1

Dogs at weddings 2

Dogs at weddings 3

Dogs at weddings 4

Dogs at weddings 5

Dogs at weddings 6

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I'm surprised people don't realise they can have their dog at their weddings, since I've seen loads of weddings where dogs have been present.

My nervous rescue dog would have hated it, which was why we didn't even consider including her, but if you have a confident, outgoing dog and someone trustworthy to care for it, then there's no reason not to include a dog. I'm more surprised that there is so much interest in a doggy 'chaperone' service. Personally, I would never use a service such as you describe for any dog - I'd want them cared for either by a trusted friend/family member or by an existing dog sitter they had already spent some time with - the last thing I'd want on my wedding day would be to worry about how my dog was getting on with a doggy chaperone they'd maybe only met once before.

• Hounds
    Hounds ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi there!
    Thanks for your response.
    It’s an interesting view - I guess in the same way you’d trust a child minder for the first time or somebody new at the nursery who you haven’t met many times before to look after your child, I find your comment about not trusting a fully DBS checked, insured, trained and experienced chaperone to look after your dog a little sad. I do fully understand that especially if your dog has a hard time with trusting other people, then this might not be an appropriate service but I would agree to disagree on the fact that your dog can't be appropriately looked after by someone who isn't a friend or neighbour or family.

I haven’t experienced this with my clients and I guess it also depends on what kind of service you are imagining. I personally don’t offer a quick fix and I spend a lot of time getting to know the couple and their dog, their story, their likes and dislikes and having spent time volunteering in dog shelters, I have gained a lot of experience handling dogs with various needs and I'd like to think that any dog is in safe and loving hands with me!

Thank you for sharing your views, it’s always lovely to hear how other people see things and I guess everyone is different, with different needs and requirements and I am sorry you feel this way.

• Hounds
    Hounds ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    These are lovely photos, thank you so much for sharing!!!
    I have helped a couple recently with their doggie who was a ring bearer. It made for some absolutely fantastic photos!
  • Alex
    Curious July 2024 Kent
    Alex ·
    • Hide content
    I had this discussion with my mum this weekend she was surprised that my dog wasn’t coming. As much as I adore him and hate to be away from him, the thought of him being there would stress me out I’d constantly be worried about where he was who had him etc. I’d consider a doggie chaperone but given we can’t have him at the hotel or house preceding (wedding isn’t local) I’ve decided to get a Trusted Housesitter to look after him.Dogs at weddings 7

• Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm surprised people don't realise they can have their dog at their weddings, since I've seen loads of weddings where dogs have been present.

Some venues are more dog friendly than others and also it could be up to the registrar -in England

• R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sorry, I hope you didn't take it as a personal criticism of your fitness to care for dogs - it certainly wasn't intended that way.

It's more that I would not want to be introducing my dog to a new 'dog sitter' just for my wedding day - it would be much easier to either leave the dog at home or in the care of someone who was already used to caring for it, rather than having to take the time to get the dog used to someone who would just care for it on that one occasion. But you've obviously found people who do need the service you are offering, which is great. Best wishes for your business.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

it would be much easier to either leave the dog at home or in the care of someone who was already used to caring for it,

I think that is the problem that is trying to be sorted as all of those people are likely to be at the wedding.

Clearly the dogs owners have to be comfortable with it and know they are good with new people. Dogs -- Quite a few times, Church then onto reception I am just about to start taking a few groups and -- Dad - where's Dad

Mum -- Oh he has taken the dog for a walk inbetween travelling from the church to the reception.Smiley xd

Guest taps me on the shoulder "how long are you going to be because I am hungry" ( keep smiling Bill - Keep smiling ) Smiley love

• R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was thinking of a regular dog-sitter/house sitter rather than someone in the bridal party. There's obviously a gap in the market for one-off dog sitters, I'm just rather surprised that there is! But all credit to OP for spotting the gap in the market and filling it.

• R
    Beginner November 2025 Central & Glasgow
    Rhiannon ·
    • Hide content
    We’re having our boy at our wedding. We organized with his day care to bring him for the ceremonie and photos and once it’s meal time they’ll take him for home boarding. We asked every venue if they allowed animals as we knew we wanted him at our day
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's lovely. I'd have loved to have had our girl at our wedding, but she wouldn't have coped - we did get lots of photos of her with us on our honeymoon though!

• R
    Beginner November 2025 Central & Glasgow
    Rhiannon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We’re lucky that he absolutely loves being the center of attention but if he gets too overwhelmed, his « handler » sees him every week and loves him so will take him away! I think taking them on the honeymoon is an even better idea!
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    Our dog is coming!!! We done our venue around if it was dog friendly or not! If they weren’t dog friendly even if we loved it the answer would have been no!!! He’s the best little man in our life and he was part of our engagement and comes everywhere we go! Obviously some places he can’t. We have a chaperone from 11am to 7pm and they have offered him to stay at their house which we don’t need but we loved that this service was available. This is because our dog is a people person and can mingle all day but we have a chill out room at the wedding where he can relax and have a sleep.
  • Nikkimerc
    Beginner May 2025 Lothian & Borders
    Nikkimerc ·
    • Hide content
    For me personally I would use a service like this and did look into one. We get married in May 2025 but our long term dog sitter is now looking after him instead. He will be there for the ceremony and drinks after and she will take him away before dinner.

I wasn't booking a venue unless it was dog friendly 🤣. So as soon as some said no they were off my list as my wedding wouldn't be the same without my dog x
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is that him in your profile pic? He's super cute!

• Nikkimerc
    Beginner May 2025 Lothian & Borders
    Nikkimerc ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, yes that's Cuba. We lost our other dog last year. Still can't believe she won't be there 😢 xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics