Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ATB
Beginner August 2014

Dominican Republic - Malaria tablets??

ATB, 8 of August of 2011 at 11:03 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 7

I'm off on holibags next month to the DR - staying at the Gran Ventana Beach Resort in Puerto Plata.

Those of you who have been to the country before - did you take Malaria tablets and get injections? If so which ones - and where do I get them?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

7 replies

Latest activity by judeclarke, 8 of August of 2011 at 15:04
  • GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Best to check with the doctor for up to date information. I went in 2008 and didn't need malaria tablets.

Can't help with injections as whatever was recommended we had already.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My favourite resort in Puerto Plata. Amazing food!

We already had our injections as we'd been for top ups previously, but I think they were: Hepatitus A & B, tetanus-diphtheria and typhoid. I'd already had the MMR.

Can't remember what the malaria tablets were called, but we had to take them every week, starting 2 weeks before travel, during and for a few weeks after travel. Think it was 2 tablets once a week. I can find out for you. One word of advice: take them with fruit juice not water! You won't taste them as much! We were advised to take the tablets each time we have been (2007, 2008, and 2009).

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

We had to take Malaria tablets when we went last year, and I had to have an injection, I think it was hep c, not definate on that though, OH didnt have to have it as his was still in date.

Very jealous your going! We went for our honeymoon and it was amazing!

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

WSS - they are disgusting! Really need to be taken with a strong flavour drink!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

It was fantastic, and the GV has the best bit of that beach too.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

You should be able to get all you need from your GP - I think they charge for holiday jabs these days but it's better than getting sick. Last I checked malaria tablets were on the 'take it or leave it' list, but I wouldn't take the chance.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics