Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2016

Donation to charity instead of wedding favours - thoughts please....

MrsLBtoB, 14 of March of 2016 at 15:55 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hi all

Looking for a bit of advice/general consensus on this one please...

We get married in just under 10 weeks but from the start of our planning (Jan 2015), we have spoken about making a donation to charity instead of doing wedding favours.

Both our grandads passed away from strokes so we were thinking of donating what we would have spent on favours to the Stroke Association instead and H2B mention this in his speech when incorporating a toast to our loved ones who couldnt be there on the day.

What does everyone think? Would you be bothered/offended if you didnt get a favour?

H2B and I wouldnt at all be offended if we went to a wedding and they chose to do this and I know we cant possibly please everyone but dont want to offend most/alll of our guests!

15 replies

Latest activity by NoMoore, 17 of March of 2016 at 15:34
  • Bobbys_Girl
    Beginner October 2017
    Bobbys_Girl ·
    • Hide content

I would not be offended at all. I think it is a wonderful idea! I may have to steal it! Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner August 2018
    SoontobeMrsS ·
    • Hide content

I would prefer it. I'm not keen on sweets and most of the things I see people post on wedding groups as favours look like rubbish to me. Not sure what I'd do with a keyring/candle with my friends' names on/bag of sweets with initials on?

I'd be so much happier with the donation and it'd probably warm my heart and add to the romance of the day.

• I
    Beginner December 2016
    IceBlue ·
    • Hide content

We are going to get charity pin badges for our favours. We have picked the retired greyhound trust and they do specific wedding ones that look similar to place cards Smiley smile

• GiraffeBride
    Beginner May 2018
    GiraffeBride ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a lovely idea. We are also having charity favours; pin badges from Cancer Research, seed packets from Macmillan and children's activity packs from a local hospice. That way a charity gets money and people still feel like they are getting something! Plus if they get left behind I'll happily have them! I can't think that anyone would be offended by having a donation rather than a favour!

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Think its a great idea! If I'm honest out of the 5 weddings I attended last year (not including my own) I can only tell you what two of the favours were the others couldn't tell you at all - not in a bad way but its usually something I go oh thats nice then carry on with the evening so I think charity donation is a brilliant idea!

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

We looked at it - My Grandad and Uncle both passed from Lung Cancer a few years ago.

Ultimately, though, we felt it might upset too many family members as we're already including our late Grandfathers and my Uncle in other parts of the Wedding.

I just don't want people sobbing during the meal! However, I do think it's a lovely thing to do and I would personally love a charitable favour if I was in attendance Smiley smile

Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content

I support only two* charities myself; RNLI and the Air Ambulance and dont give to others as they dont mean much to me, but if a charity meant something to someone and they wanted to do this then personally I have no issues as most favours are just sweets anyway.

There was a very heated discussion on here (I think) a couple of weeks ago that shows peoples opinions on this subject that you may want to have a read (assuming it is on here) and whilst I didnt partake and disagreed strongly with some comments it shows just how some people get around the subject.

[EDIT] Found it: https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/t/530416.aspx

*I also support the poppy appeal but thats an annual thing so I dont count myself as supporting that as such

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsLBtoB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow that thread was intense.... made me doubt myself now....

I don't think anyone coming to ours would be offended by us donating to the stroke association but some very strong views!

x

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsLBtoB ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all for your views and opinions.

We wouldn't publicize it or write it anywhere but my OH was just going to mention as part of his speech.

We do have a sweet table in the evening so this is sort of the favours anyway x

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

We were planning to have charity pins as our favours....but I've just read that other post and now it's got me all worried!!

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

I hadn't really thought about the wording causing offence to people who don't support the charity! Will make sure I word it correctly, and not make so much of a big deal about it.

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    MrsFRtobe ·
    • Hide content

I lost one of my best friends to cancer a couple of months before my wedding day. we made a donation to cancer research and gave their forget-me-not seeds as a favour.

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsLBtoB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry to hear that MrsFRtobe but such a thoughtful idea and lovely way to remember your best friend x

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't be offended at all with a charity pin but that other thread was pretty intense! The only thing that I would suggest is rather than buying the charity pins and giving them to your guests (who may not wear them) I would probably just give the money to the charity and write a note to your guests. This is because the pins still cost the charity money to produce and I would rather the charity kept all of the money, but that's just my opinion X

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

Just to say that we got pin badges from 2 different charities as our favours and everyone seemed to love them, a lot of people felt it was a lovely touch to do.

Our place names were luggage label style and there was a second tag attached that explained the donation and who it was for - so BHF was in memory of my aunt and we gave their pin badges to the women, Sepsis Trust was because my father in law nearly died just over a year ago after getting it and we gave their pin badges to the men.

I personally think favours are a waste, so many get left behind or unappreciated. I've actually been to a few weddings where there were no favours and I've not really noticed. The money may as well go to charity than on something that is frivolous and unappreciated.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics