Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner October 2020

Don’t love my engagement ring - help!!

HappyGoldConfetti18016, 17 of November of 2019 at 20:41 Posted on Planning 0

Ok so as I write this I know some of you will already think I am ungrateful. I can assure you I’m not and I love my fiancé very much.

We got engaged in Italy 3 months ago and it was the most beautiful proposal and I was over the moon. When he opened the box the first thing I thought was “it’s small” ?.

I spent the whole evening and rest of the holiday staring at it trying to love it. My poor fiancé thinks I’m staring at it because I am SO in love with it.

The ring is lovely - it’s a platinum, round brilliant cut solitaire 0.8ct. He had it made from a reputable firm and it cost just shy of £5k. I know - this sounds awful.... but for that money surely I shouldn’t be feeling this way?

I have done so much research, I constantly stare at other people’s rings and still look in shop windows and I can’t help but feel a 0.8ct (nearly a whole carat!) should look a bit bigger. He even told me when he collected it he too thought it looked small. He knew my friends’ rings were around 0.6-0.7 and bless him, he said he wanted me to have a “better” ring to be proud and show off - mine look tiny compared to my friends rings, it makes no sense. What’s not helping is the setting is very low so it’s quite flat to my hand...

I’m not a shallow or fickle person I promise, I’m working class and love my fiancé with all my heart - but I’m struggling to get past this and being soul destroyingly honest in the hope someone can give me some good advice. Of course I’ve not said any of this to my friends..

I broached it with him the other day and he got annoyed, saying he got me what I wanted,
It’s a beautiful ring and I shouldn’t be so ungrateful as it’s making him feel bad.

So is that it? I live with a ring forever I’m not that mad about or do I talk to him about it again?

Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.... thank you xxxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics