Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

xMissyLoux
Beginner September 2012

(Don't read if you're easily put off and having Canon D) Been put off my entrance song!

xMissyLoux, 30 of April of 2012 at 08:44 Posted on Planning 0 15

As the title says my good ol' mum has just completely put me off my choice of entrance song (Canon D by Pachelbel)

I've been sat sharing some of my song choices with her and getting her opinion.

When I played Canon D she pipes up "That's a lovely piece of music but it used to be the theme tune to a programme about a boy with a deformed face so it just reminds me of that and probably will any of your guests that remember the programme!" - GREAT! Not exactly what I want everyone to be thinking about as I walk down the aisle!

She's disliked a lot of my song choices although some I like enough to not be bothered but this one is kind of hard to like again now with that thought!

So now I need some more suggestions please ladies? I played her Kissing You and a couple of other songs as alternatives but mum said they all sounded a bit sad, like background music you'd hear when something sad was happening on TV and I kind of get what she means...so I'm completely stuck!

Please help!

15 replies

Latest activity by emze2011, 30 of April of 2012 at 20:19
  • N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

What programme is this? Will people really associate it with that? Will they even notice the exact music you have? Doubtful! I think if you really like it and want it then just have it. I love Kissing You as well but I agree it is quite a sad sounding song, probably wouldn't put me off it too much if used at the right time though.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

That is one of the most common choices for bridal entrance music EVER, how can it POSSIBLY remind anyone of anything else? Also - so what? I'm sure the boy was a very nice kid. I would stick with my original choice if I were you.

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

After some research...the programme aired in 1983 and was called The Boy David, it was narrated by Desmond Wilcox (Esther Rantzen's late husband) and was a 'series following the story of David Jackson (David Lopez) 'the Boy David', a badly-deformed Peruvian boy (a sufferer of noma) whose face was rebuilt by a Scottish surgeon who adopted him. The series won six international awards.'

Well my mum noticed it was the first thing she thought of/said when she heard the music just didn't want people to be thinking about that instead of me when I was walking down the aisle. Just in the same way as I wouldn't personally choose 'suddenly' as everyone would be thinking about Scott & Charlene!

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure that as soon as everyone sees you in your dress then they won't be able to think of anything except you.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Hahaha I am having Canon and couldn't resist reading this. Hopefully everyone will be too dazzled and happy to think about an old TV show. If you like it, have it!

• C
    Beginner August 2012
    chloe_chloe ·
    • Hide content

I´m probably having Canon and this hasn´t put me off! I doubt if any of your guests will remember it being the theme to something on TV nearly 30 years ago!

For something similar what about Air on a G string?

Or for something more upbeat, Entrance of the Queen of Sheba (although personally I think this is better for a recessional rather than a processional).

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Wow. My suggestion is that if it really has put you off using canon in d, then when you next pick a song, DO NOT run it by your mother. What matters is that you and your OH love it, not her.

If you want an instrumental, try listening to some vitamin string quartet stuff- my SIL walked down the aisle to their version of yellow and it was lovely.

• O
    Beginner August 2012
    olderbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS. I am probably going to have this too and it hasn't put me off.

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content

I'm having Canon in D as my entrance song too, and even reading this hasn't put me off.

I had a similar experience with my in laws yesterday, I was letting them listen to all the pieces of music we have chosen and our exit song is Romeo and Juliet love theme. We acknowledge it's quite a sad sounding song but we both really love it and because we're getting married in Italy not far from Verona we thought it was quite apt. But FIL pipped up that that piece of music was played on a particular radio show whenever there was a sad story being read....but we're still not changing our minds.

• Jayned
    Beginner May 2001
    Jayned ·
    • Hide content

I had this as my entrance music................everyone said what a lovely piece it was and NO-ONE mentioned the fact that it was this documentary, because they had

a...never seen the documentary

b...had forgotten about it

c...just liked Canon in D for the beautiful piece of music it is, regardless

If you like it and want it as your entrance song, then go for it. I got married 12years ago and am now divorced but my mum still can't listen to Canon in D without crying! bless ?

Jayne

x

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I've never heard something so stupid. Your mum is bonkers.

• J
    jules40 ·
    • Hide content

I had it and I remember the programmes but not the music. If you want instrumental try Gabriels Oboe by Ennio Moricone its lovely to walk into.

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your opinions ladies.

Whether or not my mum is 'bonkers', she has a really good memory and she really remember this, she remembered who narrated the programme correctly and everything and whether anybody else remembers or not my mum does and this matters to me!

I completely get what you're saying and totally understand it's one of the most popular bridal entrance songs and lots of you will have/have had it and no-one besides my mum will probably know about the tv series link...nonetheless I just wanted to see if there was something else I liked just as much!

At the end of the day if I still really wanted Canon D I would have had it but I just wondered what other options might have been out there!

I've now found a song I really LOVE and will fit better as none of our other songs are classical/instrumental...just got to hope I can have it as it has the word 'heaven' in it and we're having a civil ceremony!

• bride26
    Beginner July 2012
    bride26 ·
    • Hide content

Ive pm'd you with a suggestion Smiley winking x

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aww, thank you hun! I love that too! x

• emze2011
    Beginner September 2013
    emze2011 ·
    • Hide content

There isn't a song or piece of music in the world that someone somewhere hasn't got a negative view on, either it be because of a theme tune to a programe or played at someones funeral or just a song that reminds them of a horrible ex. im still having canon in d. And this is the reason that im not consulting anyone on my wedding choices other than oh, if anyone is thinking of a program about a boy with a deformed face when i walk into church then i would have done a really rubbish job at choosing my dress thats for sure!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics