Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner August 2011

dont think my dad wants to do a speech.....

amythest76, 12 of January of 2010 at 11:07 Posted on Planning 0 15

I dont mean this in a horrible way...i love my dad he is great in every way and fully supportive of our wedding but he is soooo shy...has little confidence-unless he has a drink, (usually too much)when he then rambles on and on........bless him but it makes me cringe-i dont know if he'll have the courage to stand up and speak and i would rather he didnt do it if it makes him uncomfortable.

but im not sure how to resolve it?? just tell he neednt do one and he may feel offended, if he thinks its expected it of him he may feel awkward/anxious and be too nice to say anything....if he doesnt do it although i wont mind at all but i dont want others to think badly of him...or do i just let him drink his anxiety away and let him get on with it??? my mum isnt helping at all and already warning him off embarrassing her again blah blah blah!!!

already the stress has started!!!!

xx

15 replies

Latest activity by 22tango, 13 of January of 2010 at 06:25
  • A
    Beginner August 2011
    amythest76 ·
    • Hide content

Forgot to add when i got engaged and said to him how do you feel about giving a speech he just went "oh mmmm mmmm" whats that?? mens talk for fine, couldnt care less, would love to??????

• P
    Beginner October 2011
    Pixie86 ·
    • Hide content

I know how you feel. My dad has told me that he doesn't want to do a speech as he doesn't like speaking infront of people. This has upset me as I would love my dad to do a speech as he is very important to me, but I do need to consider my dads feelings in all of this too.

Why don't you explain to you dad the tradition of the father giving a speech and ask how he feels about it, explaining that you don't mind either way if he does the speech or not then its your dads choice and you aren't offending him or pressuring him in any way. If he chooses not to then why not ask another family member to step in for this part or just tell your dad that a simple toast to the bride and groom will be fine instead.

Hope this helps you out a bit

xxx

• Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content

I knew my dad wouldn't do one - he is very very shy and doesn't drink either. He didn't even want to say 'I Do' when the registrar asked who gave this woman so he just opted for 'dropping me off' next to OH and saying nothing lol!! It was never really an issue and certainly not stresful, I asked if he would like to do one and he said no and that was the end of it ? Would you want to do a speech instead maybe?

• A
    Beginner August 2011
    amythest76 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

thanks for your reply.....its hard for dads i guess they have pressure to do well for us-with a huge audience!!

my poor dad wont be able to win if he does agree to a speech he'll get no end of grief from my mum about being embarrassing (she's already told me he thinks he's funny and he's not, he's so dull etc etc-she's a right cow to him-thats another story!!) BUT if he dosnt do it chances are she'ss have a go at him for letting me down....

oh god! this is just gonna get worse isnt it??!!!

x

• A
    Beginner August 2011
    amythest76 ·
    • Hide content

I did consider doing a speech instead of him-or seeing if my daughter wanted to read a poem?? its not like its a traditional wedding-i already have kids and we're not stepping foot in a church so i guess 1 less tradition wont look too out of place!!!

• Juicymelons
    Beginner May 2010
    Juicymelons ·
    • Hide content

Can't you sit down with him and write one together so he just has to read from a bit of paper ? If you do it far enough in advance of the wedding he can practice it. He only need to thank everyone for coming, say how stunning you are and tell everyone to have a good time !!!

• HorseFan
    Beginner September 2010
    HorseFan ·
    • Hide content

My Dad doesn't want to do a speech. He is quite shy to start with and has a stutter - which only gets worse when he's under pressure. However my Mum has offered to do a quick speech ...... she teaches primary school kids (5-6yr olds) so has no problem speaking outloud, v.loud (LOL) and she has even threathend to bring her playground bell with her, to make sure she gets everyones attention (eeek! ?)

OH not having a best man, so its not like we're having the traditional round of speeches anyway!

• loobyg
    Beginner November 2008
    loobyg ·
    • Hide content

We didn't have any speeches, my uncle stood and did a short toast and that was it! If you aren't bothered then say to him that you were wondering whetther to bother with speeches and what does he think... If you want speeches then just make sure he has a short and heavily scripted one!

• cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

I haven't asked my old man because he has a terrible stammer and i know that it would terrify him and i would hate to see him struggle like that. i'm trying to think of alternatives such as a slide show with written commentry or a some pre recoreded messages not just from your dad but i'm not too concerned about it, its just a thought.

if your mum is happy to do it then why not.

i'm considering cutting speeches altogether theres nothing to say you have to have them.

• Charlied
    Beginner October 2010
    Charlied ·
    • Hide content

DAD SWAP!!!!

My dad wrote his speech when my mum was still pregnant and has been adding to it ever since!! I would do anything to get out of him doing it - cringe cringe

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Our daughter is getting married next year and my hubby is already dreading getting up to do the speech. It's the thought of standing up in front of all those people that scares him to death. I'm also quite nervous being the Bride's Mum - is that normal too? Don't like people staring at me ?

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Initially I was going to say that you'd probably be suprised and I'm sure your dad will stand up and say a few words at your special day but now there seems as if there are lots of brides with the same issue???? I guess you just leave it up to him to make the decision. Ask him how he would feel about doing a speech and that there is no pressure for him to do one - if he really doesn't want to do it just let you know and there isn't an issue with it. He probably doesn't want to let you down - remember at that stage all the guests have had a few drinks and will clap, laugh and cheer at anybody who stands up to talk!!!!!

Luckily I don't have any issues with this - my dad is used to public speaking through his work so will just stand up and say what comes into his head. Actually, this I'm a little bit worried about. Not cos he'll be pants but I just wonder what embarrasing story he'll tell about me....lol

• C
    Beginner May 2011
    Curly Panda ·
    • Hide content

My dad's getting stressed about the guest list let alone the speech!!! i have vague idea of what he may include but at their wedding my mum said all my dad's speech consisted of was "thanks for coming!" so i could be in for something that short!!

at my cousin's wedding her dad was able to give his speech before the meal so he didnt get so nervous, perhaps that would be an option if you still want speeches??

• *Little_Jen*
    Beginner July 2009
    *Little_Jen* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My dad has very good sense of humor and is very outgoing but really didnt want to do a speech but on the day he decided that he did want to so a speech he even did a dance when our MC introduce him *Cringe cringe cringe!!* haha I love him to bit though and here he is in action- my mum was telling him to stop making a pratt of him self and do up his waiste coat! haha

• cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely picture he looks like he had a blast......bless

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Hi amythest - My mum is going to do the speech instead of my dad -she is a lot more comfortable and happy to do it. to be honest I didn't think anything of it - as long as a family member from the bride's side talks I don't think it matters at all- but I guess it depends how traditional you want to be about it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics