Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2013

Double Barrelled Surnames

lydeep, 28 March, 2012 at 19:16 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hi,

I am considering having a double barrelled surname and just wondered if anyone else had a similar dilemma.

I have quite a distinctive surname which I had a load of mickey taken out of me when I was a kid but that has become who I am and I am considering keeping it to try and carry it on a bit longer.

I am an only child and my eldest cousin has taken her husbands surname, which in turn her son has taken and I am a bit worried our family name will disappear and I am not sure my other 2 cousins will carry the name on.

My OH doesn't want me to double barrel it but I have said I don't expect him to take it on and that I would be officially known as my double barrelled name on passports, driving licence, banks etc but in day to day life at work etc I would use his name.

OH has a very unusual surname too and the double barrel name would only work with my name and then his name. To use it the other way around would cause a few laughs, the same as if my mom had had a double barrel name with her maiden name (to which I am very grateful she didnt double barrel it).

In a way I am a bit of a feminist in that I feel that I would loose a bit of 'who I am and where I have come from' by taking his name but I thought this may be a way of combining the two families.

Are there any other hitchers who are having a double barrel name?

17 replies

Latest activity by bluemoongirly, 2 April, 2012 at 12:26
  • 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

My maiden name is double barrelled and to be honest most people have always referred to the members of our family using the second part of it anyway, so if your name will be the first one then it might not get used often.

Have you considered using your maiden name as a middle name after you are married ?

Either option will mean you changing your name by deed poll to make it legal if you decide its for you.

Regards

L x

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

I'm not going to have a double barrel but have you considered making your maiden name your middle name?

Also, if you have children you could give them your maiden name as a middle name - that's been done on my Dad's side of the family for several decades. It's also an absolute bonus for any further genealogists researching the family tree as I've found out!

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Similar to the above suggestion. When I married first time I moved my (also unusual, last in line) surname to my middle name. I didn't revert back when I divorced, so now by taking new OH's surname I'll still be keeping that maiden name as a middle name. We have agreed that any children will also have it as a middle name.

• A
    andrewj ·
    • Hide content

Vanessa decided she wanted to keep her own name (she was an only child), which was fine by me. She kept her surname & tacked mine on the end ? the kids have the double-barreled name, they are fine with it. Sometimes in sports events they are called by my surname, hers or both! but to be honest the whole thing is not a problem to us I'm happy that her surname is being continued.

Andrew

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

As with other suggestions, have you considered giving a child of the marriage your maiden name as a middle name. It has been done for centuries (I found out when tracing the family tree - and although the christian names were repeated A LOT when a maiden name was given as a middle name it made it so much easier to follow them for the tree.) My dad (who was born in the 1930's) had his mothers maiden name as his surname (and he was an only child)

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Slightly aside, although many years ago I knew of a couple of people....her surname was Wright and his was Pratt....she amused that if they ever married and double barelled she would be a Wright-Pratt...

Absolutely true story, not an urban myth.....

Peter

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

Probably get flamed here now but I really don't get the fashion for double barrelling names.

A name is not the be all and end all of who you are. If you really want to keep your name then keep it and why go to the bother of double barrelling. It seems to me that if it becomes such a big decision why bother changing.

I also can't help but wonder what all the children with double barrelled names will do in 20 years time when they plan t marry someone else with a double barrelled name. do they quadruple it? Do they keep one each? in this case what has been the point of a parent double barrelling n the first place if one of the names won't continue?

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    Bee26 ·
    • Hide content

My maiden name is double barrelled but I dropped the last (my dads) name when I was 14. I'm still officially miss D-B on my passport, driving license etc but just Miss D for work, national insurance, bank etc. it's never caused any problems if that's what you're worried about. Now my son is Mr D-M (M being his real dads name) and when we get married I'll be mrs S. i have no idea what my son is going to be! A triple barrelL would be bordering on abuse!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Apart from really not liking my 'maiden' name and actively wanting to drop it, this is why I wouldn't give my kids d-b names even if I had a d-b name for myself. I think it's slightly selfish... you couldn't make the decision of what name to have/give them yourself, and you've essentially passed the decision down to your sons and daughters. They will face the decision of what to name their children, and they won't have the option you had (of double-barrelling) as their surname is already d-b. If I'd wanted to give my children my 'maiden' name in some form, I'd either merge the surnames to make one complete new surname, or give them my or my partner's 'maiden'/'bachelor' surname as a middle name. I wouldn't give them a d-b name. Just my opinion and probably not a popular one given how many people give children d-b names nowadays, but I do think there's a genuine reason not to!

If there's no children in the equation though then d-b away.

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    lydeep ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all for your comments you have definitely given me things to consider.

I had to chuckle at the "wright-pratt comment", I think that just beats what my moms name would have been had she double barrelled hers with my dads!!

Neither of us have children and I can understand the comments about passing a d-b name onto children.

Think I may look at the middle name option and then I can pass that onto any future children without it being a d-b name.

?

• A
    Beginner August 2013
    Annamarie ·
    • Hide content

We are due to marry in August 2013 and already have three children together. The two boys both have double barrelled surnames and our daughter who was born abroad unfortunately due to spanish law was not allowed to take both surnames (because we were not married) so she has her Dad's surname as a middle name and mine as her surname. When we get married we will give her the choice to see if she wants to stay as she is or change to be like her brothers , as for me I will become double barrelled to match the kids. The kids have never been bothered about it and i don't mind if they don't use both.

• bluemoongirly
    Beginner October 2013
    bluemoongirly ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to keep my name as it is an would never consider taking my HTB's surname!

This has caused endless rows with his parents and brother (although he is fine with it), his brother seems to think my HTB needs to 'get me to behave'

I do not think it should be a given that any children of our marriage get HTB's name as if I carry any children then they are going to get my name! Although it has been agreed that it will be as a middle name as society's expectations have not yet caught up with my beliefs!

I do not have the words to explain how angry I will be on my wedding day if anyone addresses me as Mrs W!! My only bridesmaid has the sole responsibility of making sure this doesnt happen!

I am and will continue to be known as Ms H!!!!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is something I check in advance as often the register is signed as a set up and it is easy to refer to the bride as Mrs (grooms surname) It often causes a nice surprise and a laugh which can relax a set up shot quite nocely, although as said, for those that aren't taking the OHs surname, it is important to get this bit right....Ensure your tog is aware too....

Peter

• bluemoongirly
    Beginner October 2013
    bluemoongirly ·
    • Hide content

Sorry Peter, TOG?

Kim

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

TOg= Photographer

A very good point as the Tog is the last person i would want upsetting me about this. Although it is not a concern i have anymore. I always used to as my dad had 2 girls and his name wouldn't have been carried on not that my dad ever made me feel this way, but then my mum had my lil bro anyway so now it will be down to him to carry the name on. so i feel fine not to bother and so will be taking my OH surname.

• bluemoongirly
    Beginner October 2013
    bluemoongirly ·
    • Hide content

I cant say I would be upset...but i wouldnt be smiling for him hahaha!

• nicolagrimshawmitchell
    nicolagrimshawmitchell ·
    • Hide content

These are exactly the same reasons I kept my name too - I tagged on my Husbands name after mine. He wasnt keen but I didnt expect him to change his name, just mine was different. Our son has my double-barrelled name too. I love my name and find its quite unusual - which I like!

All i'd say, at the time it does always sound a bit weird when you say it back to yourself but give it a couple of months and you'll be totally used to it! x

• bluemoongirly
    Beginner October 2013
    bluemoongirly ·
    • Hide content

I just wouldnt expect my husband to take my name and wouldnt take his.

All I know is my mum has had her married name over 30 years and doesnt consider herself to be a "INSERTNAME"

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics