Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner August 2014

Dreading photos!

rachel_2014, 31 of March of 2014 at 21:04 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hi

I'm brand new to the forum but need a little advice... I've thought about it for a little while now, I'm dreading getting my photographs taken. I hate the way I look from certain angles, to the point where on nights out with friends I'm the one who takes the photos. It's taken me so long to tell my MOH how I feel and I think she thinks I'm over reacting, says theres nothing wrong with me and I'm prettier than most people she knows (I know shes only being a good friend by saying this)... Am I over-reacting? Will I have time to worry about the photographer?

I just hate to think that all the photos taken I'm not going to like (the photographer is fantastic - Ive seen his photos and I'm very impressed) I guess its just me.

I dont want to look through my pics and hate the way I look in them...

Help please x

16 replies

Latest activity by Sarah Ellen Bailey, 24 of April of 2014 at 12:29
  • *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Hello & welcome to hitched!

I'm also camera shy and always the one taking the pics, not looking forward to our pics being taken especially the smiling ones ?

However they're professional togs and i'm sure they'll know how to make us look our best, and make us feel at ease in front of the camera.

You could maybe have a practise in front of the camera and see which look you prefer of yourself and see you best angles? Although I always think the nicest wedding photos are the most natural and un-posed ones.

I'm sure you'll look lovely, you are the bride and its your big day...try and enjoy the experience..i'm sure you'll be too happy on the day to care Smiley smile

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

It is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy. If you are really worried you will look bad in front of the camera, you will look bad because you will look awkward. The best thing you can do imo is try your best to put all that aside and not worry about angles etc. Just concentrate on having fun and enjoy yourself and the pictures will come out way better than you expect. if there are some you don't like the angle of, it's no big deal. Just use the pictures you like.

• One Little Daisy
    One Little Daisy ·
    • Hide content

Ask your photographer if they'll do a pre wedding shoot with you. This should show you that you have nothing to worry about.

A good photographer will put you at ease and will make you look great even if you feel awkward. You don't need to worry about doing something to not feel awkward, it's pretty normal, every single bride I speak to tells me they dont like having photographs taken. But they love what they get at the end.

Your photographer should make you feel at ease and grab the shots that flatter you, it's why you've hired them! I bet if you mention this to hom/her they'll tell you that all those pics you've seen that you love, will be of brides who felt exactly the same.

:-)

• LeeshSmalls
    Beginner July 2014
    LeeshSmalls ·
    • Hide content

I agree with what everyone's said. I too feel terrible when I have my pictures taken, my little sister is always so good at marking a pose just before the flash while I often end up looking a little awkward.

I've arranged a pre-wedding photoshoot with my photographer and I'm hoping to spend the day getting to know him and the camera.

If you are unable to organise something like that spend some time with your OH taking pictures and practising, make it into a fun thing, laugh and play around even dress up if you want! I truly believe when your dressed looking gorgeous, let that confidence and sexy-ness take away any awkwardness or shyness you may feel.

Don't forget to share a lil picture of you looking splendid! xx

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

I don't think there are many of us who "love" being in front of camera, apart from professional models, so don't worry that you're over-reacting per se. My OH is actually more worried about it that I am - there are very few photographs of us as a couple as a result of both of us being camera unfriendly, so I'm trying to make myself see it as a positive that this is the one day where he can't really refuse to have his picture taken, and where I will have to get used to handing the camera over to others. (Not that I'm a pro, just a bit snap-happy)

I definitely agree that it's good to be comfortable with your photographer, whether that involves a pre-wedding shoot or not. For that reason, I'm choosing not to have getting ready shots, as I'd like to have my full war paint on before I have to deal with a camera. But I have also chosen a photographer with whom I've worked before - you may not have that option, but you may have family or friends who can make helpful recommendations.

Finally, a helpful tip from someone I know who's an amateur enthusiast:

"Think about how you feel when you're on a night out and, odds are, a little bit tipsy - you're much more likely to agree to have your photograph taken to preserve the memory of the night/party/ gathering of friends, and you might even taken lots, or pull poses. Your wedding is the biggest party you'll ever throw, and will be full of people and moments that you want to capture - get into the party mood, and get posing!"

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Seriously you are going to be on such a high the last thing you will be worrying about is your photos being taken, not saying you will be worried about anything on your day. We are all the same, me included, hate having my photo taken ?

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I think the best advice is that if you worry about it, it will come out on the photos ... make your tog aware of your worry and ask what they suggest - perhaps less posted pictures and more natural' having a nice time' ones? Work on putting it out of your mind on the day, if you have a good tog, most of the day you shouldn't even notice they are there Smiley smile

Don't worry - it's your day, don't let this worry spoil it. Also - finally, you get the pics back and can ditch any you don't like - which probably won't be many Smiley smile

• byrebecca1
    Beginner May 2017
    byrebecca1 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Hun, a lot of my brides tell me they hate being photographed and I know how they feel as I'm exactly the same - hence why I spend most my life hiding behind a lens lol.

Good news is that you already like the style your photographer has to offer and I'm sure she'll put you at ease on the day. But as mentioned above, try your best to just relax and trust your photographer will do a good job because if you feel awkward you may also look awkward in the picture :-)

• N
    NHGirl ·
    • Hide content

We are always our own worst critics. I dislike my photos as well, but the ones I hate the most are those when I was trying too hard and, thus, not relaxed.Make sure your photographer knows your fears. Maybe he can take "stealth" photos (where you're not conscious of him), in additional to posed shots.

In addition, enlist some friends to take shots of you whilst you're not looking. I actually found these to be much better than some of the ones the photographer took!

The only other thing I can add to the other great advice already given is that you could consider having the photos touched up a little bit. If you can't afford to have that done, there's an inexpensive computer program called Portrait Professional that allows you to do it yourself. (Photoshop is another option, but requires more skill and is very pricey). I use both, but Portrait Professional is very easy and handy to, for example, remove blemishs, smooth complexion, whiten teeth, brighten eyes, and sculpt the face a touch. As long as you don't go overboard, it can take a lovely photo up a notch.

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

I would say have a really good chat with your photographer and its your day, maybe get your tog to go more reportage style so you don't feel like on camera all day?! But you're not alone as I'm sure lots of people are in the same boat.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

It is as said by others here, down to the technique of the photographer to get shots that you will love. This is possibly best done by a combination of candid photographs where you are unknowingly photographed and structured shots where interaction with the tog puts you at ease.

Sometimes people simply go stiff in front of a camera. Its down to the tog to relax you down.

BTW, I hate all photographs of me. I cant bear being the wrong side of a camera....

Peter

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

One of the great things about a professional photographer is their skill and the speed in which they take the photo, its not like your uncle bob who fumbles with the button, asks you to pose til your stiff, forgets the flash, tries again. etc etc. its best to relax and be natural and try and ignore the camera Smiley smile

• M.Y.Wedding Photography
    M.Y.Wedding Photography ·
    • Hide content

Hi Rachel,

Relax, have fun and enjoy your Big Day! The photos look always the best where you are natural and happy. You will be surprised looking at your photographs how beautiful your wedding was and how amazingly photographs telling the story of the most important day in your life.

It’s always worth talking to your photographer about your worry. There are many styles of wedding photography and your photographer will be able to advice you what fits you best. I met dozens brides worried about their pictures and my advice would be to choose more photojournalistic, natural style for your wedding photographs rather than a lot of posed shoots. Also don’t hesitate to mention to your photographer what angle you would want the photograph to be taken from. Describing and giving examples even on basis of non-professional photos, will give your photographer enough information to craft your photographs to best of your satisfaction.

One last advice is you might want to consider to try engagement/love story photoshoot. It’s a very good experience to try working with your photographer and show your taste. Often you will find that it’s free and part of the photographic wedding package.

Good luck and best wishes.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Bonjour.

I hate having my photo taken. Hate it.

But trust that if you have a professional any photos of you will be the best possible at the best time of your life. They'll be the best you've ever seen. Ever.

So yeah, you might not like yourself in them but you'll like yourself a fair bit more than usual.

Promise.

Don't let your fear ruin the photos before they've even been taken and most importantly trust and have faith in your tog.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Repeat after me: I want memories of my wedding.

i hate having my picture taken, but the tog was good, didn't give us any where I looked awful and when I looked at them, all it felt was love and happiness at the memories they reminded me of. You will regret it if you don't have the,, so try to relax and I bet on the day you will barely notice the tog. We have loads of great photos that I didn't even realise we're being taken.

• CsabaGrosz
    CsabaGrosz ·
    • Hide content

Hi Rachel,
    Don't worry as others said before. You have to breathe, relax and enjoy your day. If you are so camera shy I would recommend you to ask him maybe going a little bit more with a reportage style. This style really makes you feel that the only part when you are photographed is the couple portrait, and even that part doesn't have to be so formal. I would definitely suggest you to ask for a pre wedding shoot with him. It really makes you to get used to pose front of the camera plus you can see how is to work with him - most offer this for free, some may charge you for it). I have a couple who is same like you and after they got their engagement shoot they got so relaxed about photography...they even bought a camera Smiley smile

If I may...My Mrs advice is: bubbles are useful too ? ...

• Sarah Ellen Bailey
    Sarah Ellen Bailey ·
    • Hide content

You'll be fine! Your photographer knows what they're doing and will be used to getting the camera shy to relax a little. A pre wedding shoot is good advice, that gives you a bit of practice at ignoring the lens and will make you that bit more comfy on the day.

I wrote a bit of a blog post on how I try to get natural couple photographs last week, you can find it here if you'd like a quick read...

Lots of photographers work in a similar way, especially with those that feel awkward in front of the camera. Have a chat with your photographer and I'm sure they'll put your mind at rest too.

Have a wicked day!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics