Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bacchant
Beginner June 2017

Dress + accessories dilemma

Bacchant, 21 of November of 2016 at 11:26 Posted on Planning 0 5

I’m having a bit of a dilemma about my accessories, and whether to go for an overskirt or a veil.

When looking at dresses I wanted one which was a fitted mermaid but with a thin overskirt (like the below Annasul Y dress). Or something like that with a long train (I like the drama of long trains)

However, they were all a bit expensive for me and I ended up getting the below gorgeous lace mermaid (Mine will have the ivory lining rather than the champagne).

I tried on some veils with my dress, and decided I liked single tier (as when the blusher is back on a two tier it hides the back detail). However, I then found you can get an overskirt in the style I want so I could replicate what I like in the other dress. Problem is I can’t find any photos of overskirts which aren’t posed/on a dummy. I’m worried that when actually worn and I’m walking it won’t look as nice, and will detract rather than enhance my dress.

Whether I get a skirt or veil I'm planning on having whatever it is as custom made so they can be cathedral length, and in the case of the skirt with a V

So it sits with the dress properly.

I keep flip flopping over what to do! Any options/thoughts/photos that could help me decided?

5 replies

Latest activity by Bacchant, 24 of November of 2016 at 13:10
  • M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

That's a tough decision. I'm not very good at picturing things, I like to actually see them but I think that you have such a beautiful dress that maybe an over skirt would detract from it. In the first picture of the Annasul Y dress, the skirt of the dress is plain so maybe it works better? I personally think just stick with the veil.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Or...... to throw a spanner in the works maybe...... have you seen the sheer cloaks? Love them. Really regret not buying one. Sort of veil fabric but in a cape.

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

I think the mermaid dress you have chosen is so pretty it would be a shame to put another layer over it. A veil will have the same illusion you are looking for, just make sure you get a chapel or cathedral length one.

• P
    Beginner November 2017
    Pandypants ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

????????exactly what she said x

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh I love the underskirt on that Annasul Y dress, this was my dress crush for a while, I thought that the overskirt was so dramatic, and different. I think I agree with the others though - your dress is beautiful and it would be such a shame to cover it.

I had a fishtail style dress with a loooong cathedral length veil which i loooooooved. A really long veil will probably give you some of the drama that you are looking for.

Plus, that underskirt looks amazing in the photos, when the model is standing still and the skirt has been perfectly arranged....how does it look when you are walking or you've just stopped to pose for a photo .... ? xx

• Bacchant
    Beginner June 2017
    Bacchant ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the feedback all!

I think I am leaning a bit more towards a veil rather than a skirt. One of the things I love about my dress is the bold lace on it, and it would be a shame if that was a bit hidden!

@katieJ2b That was one of my big concerns, as I can't seem to find photos of any *real* brides wearing an overskirt, I can only find posed ones where it's been carefully arranged. It's also quite a modern/unusual thing and I'm just not sure it would suit our traditional venue!

I think a long veil will tick the boxes I want (and also will pair with my tiara well.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics