Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Curious June 2023 Worcestershire

Dress alterations

Sarah, 14 of April of 2022 at 12:35 Posted on Planning 0 5

I am back in full on wedding mode after having my first appointment with my dress seamstress last weekend.

I have been quoted quite a hefty sum due to the amount of work that needs doing to my dress (size 12 to an 8) and in particular the skirt as it's multi layer organza and around 6-7" too long so it is literally all over the floor at the front and sides (bought from Wed2b so all dress lengths are 47" from the waist to hem) I'm 5 ft 4 and not wearing heels on the day.

I completely trust the lady who is doing it but still feel nervous. I think as I am not a seamstress I have no clue how on earth it is done. I think I would be having wobbles and nerves no matter who I took it to because after all you are literally leaving your dream dress (which I can't get anymore) in the hands of someone else.

Due to the detailing on the skirt the length cannot be taken from the bottom so she is going to have to take the length from the top, i'm wondering has anyone else had this done to their dress and were you as nervous as me!?Smiley xd Smiley atonished Smiley xd

Dress alterations 1

5 replies

Latest activity by snowshine123, 19 of April of 2022 at 19:22
  • L
    Dedicated October 2022 Surrey
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    I completely get where you're coming from. I'm only 4'11" & my first wedding dress 20 years ago had to have the length taken from the top of the skirt. It was nerve wracking but it turned out great. If you're going with someone with experience & great reviews your dress will be in safe hands
  • L
    Dedicated October 2022 Surrey
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    It sounds like you've chosen someone who has the expertise to do an excellent job on your dress. I'm sure she will be happy to run through the process as fully as needed to put your mind at rest x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It sounds as if you couldn't leave your dress in better hands. I'm sure she won't mind explaining how she is going to do it - after 30 years, she must be used to reassuring nervous brides that their dresses will turn out well!

• S
    Savvy June 2022 Greater Manchester
    snowshine123 ·
    • Hide content

I have the exact same dress for my wedding! I'm 5 ft 2 and the length of the skirt is slightly long - but I rather try and do without shorterning - as it will be £30 per layer according to the local seamstress. I have had the shoulders shortened and bustle added.

I'm sure you are in safe hands and it will look beautiful and fit on the day :-)

• S
    snowshine123 ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, yes I’ll be wearing heels but they’re only 2 inch tall as I’m not good at walking in them!

Do you have a hoop? I bought the wunderskirt from wed2b and I think it helps with not tripping over yourself. I will still need to take it slow when walking or do the “goose walk “ which I found in an old forum post here 😂
  • S
    snowshine123 ·
    • Hide content

Haha I meant goosestep, not goosewalk - I've just googled it!

When you take your dress to your seamstress, take your skirt with you and then both yourself and the seamstress can see the full look. Then take your skirt again when you pick it up and hopefully it'll be what you expected! Smiley smile

When H2B is away on stag do in couple of weeks, I will see if I can get some practice walking around in my dress and underskirt haha. If it wasn't £30 per layer, I would have had the hem taken up. Not worth it for me for an inch or so.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics