Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Curious June 2024 Devon

Dress alterations

Kay, 5 of April of 2024 at 10:30 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 4
Help please, I went to see my wedding dress yesterday for my second alternation appointment. At the first appointment we discussed adding sleeves onto my dress (it comes with extra material for sleeves), I said about the length I wanted them etc and the lady said we’d go through it on the next appointment.. so I turned up yesterday and she has already attached the sleeves to the dress, much to my confusion because she hadn’t measured my arms or anything so we definitely hadn’t gone through what I wanted them to look like.. I had sent her a picture of what they looked like on a model and said I wanted the same, but she has cut them out and attached them straight, whereas I wanted them to be butterfly sleeves. I have big arms and they leave me no room at all, I wanted them to be flowy and they’re not. So, I didn’t say anything at the appointment, I’m quite shy and I don’t like correcting people like that, so I went away saying I was happy. I then spoke to my partner about it (he was super unhelpful, not that I wanted him to resolve the issue, I guess wanted him to listen) but he told me I should just ask if the sleeves can be changed. It took me a lot to build up the courage and I sent a message this morning, the lady told me no basically, she said the sleeves are on now and she doesn’t want to do any more altering to them.. she has suggested putting them into a cape sleeve but I don’t like the idea of that so I have said no and to leave them like they are. I feel so upset, I can’t change them, she has done them a way I didn’t want without me knowing and now I feel like I don’t want to wear my dress. It’s put me hugely out of my comfort zone to message her and ask them to be changed, only for her to be quite short with me and say no.
I don’t think I can do anything else but get over it? Smiley sad

4 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 20 of April of 2024 at 19:14
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You could do something about it if you wanted to - she has made alterations to your dress that you did not request, so as a very minimum, she should not be charging you for those alterations and allowing you to take the dress elsewhere to be altered the way you want it. But if it cost you so much stress just to tell her that you were not happy, then I think you need to consider if the extra stress involved in taking this further is worth the emotional impact it will have on you. Do you have anyone else you could ask to advocate for you?

• K
    Curious June 2024 Devon
    Kay ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you for your suggestion. I have thought the same thing, but with the wedding less than 2 months away, I think I would struggle to find another seamstress to fit me in, the lady I have at the moment has had my dress since February already. I think it would cause more stress to find someone else at such short notice, and not only this, the material for the sleeves has now been used up, so I would need to source more material to be able to do the sleeves again, which I’m sure wouldn’t be too hard! It doesn’t help me very much feeling this way but I don’t think I’m prepared to take anymore stress on right now, I think I just needed to vent and get it out. I think I will just have to accept it, it’s not the worst and the dress still fits, it’s just not what I wanted and not the vision I had for myself on my big day!
  • K
    Curious June 2024 Devon
    Kay ·
    • Hide content
    Update to this, I am 6 weeks away from getting married and now super unhappy with my dress. I think a part of it is anxiety, this is a big deal! But the alterations are another factor and I hate the sleeves so much. The top is also off because it’s too big for me and the boob part is in the wrong place(too high), but I just have to work with this because I can’t alter that part. (Getting those chicken fillets in there)
    I have spoken to a good family friend of mine who is a seamstress and is going to try again with the sleeves for me, she lives hours away so I need to make it work but I’m doing them again! And if they are bad again, well I’ll just detach them! The dress is beautiful without the sleeves too, so that’s my last option! I have also bought a beautiful ‘wifey’ jumper which is super comfy and will be going on in the evening if I’m uncomfortable, it’s my day I can cover up! 😊
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sorry you are still unhappy with your dress, but so pleased that you have a friend who can try to alter it for you. The 'wifey' jumper sounds like a great idea as a backup if it gives you peace of mind, but I'm sure the dress will look amazing with or without sleeves. Let us know how you get on.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics