Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner August 2023 Durham

Dress Alterations and best time to get it done

Jess, 13 of March of 2023 at 12:21 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 5

Hello,

I am getting married on the 21st August 2023 and have booked to get my dress and 3 bridesmaid dresses altered (a lot of work needs doing on my dress) i have been told to come in with my bridesmaids on the 10th of July 2023 for the first fitting. I am a little bit unsure as i think this will not be enough time to get it done. Does anybody have any advice on this? Smiley smile

5 replies

Latest activity by Lea, 14 of March of 2023 at 19:34
  • Leah
    Curious April 2024 Kent
    Leah ·
    • Hide content

Morning, I called three seamstresses and they all advised between 8-12 weeks. Hope that's helpful for comparison!

• J
    Beginner August 2023 Durham
    Jess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for this Smiley smile

• K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content

My seamstress says anything under 8 weeks is a rush job and she charges extra. I am a June 2023 bride and my first fitting was the end of January. My last fitting is end of April.

My mum is doing my bridesmaids alterations as she used to be a seamstress, so will be hemming them all.

• S
    Rockstar April 2023 West London
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

I’m getting married on 1st April and had my first fitting on 27th January. Second (and luckily final as it was perfect) was 24th February, so it took them 4 weeks to lift the hem (ball gown with 5 layers), add bustles in 3 places, take in approx a dress size and add sleeves.

If you’re concerned then maybe ask if you can come in a couple of weeks before your bridesmaids?

• Lea
    Rockstar July 2023 Kent
    Lea ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I'm getting married 1st July 2023 and had my first fitting about a month ago. Got my dress back this weekend and was really happy with it.

I was told by another seamstress to bring my dress to them for first fitting 5 weeks before the wedding but I wasn't comfortable with that.

I'm a planner and organiser so like to organise everything in advance. :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics