Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner October 2015

'Dress code' wording help

hallowedding, 6 of March of 2015 at 08:34 Posted on Planning 0 5

I'm not having a dress code, it's more of a suggestion...

OH is english and I am indian, we are having a straightforward traditional english day but the evening reception will be bhangra music and indian food. My family are wearing indian clothes anyway, lots of my English friends have asked me if they can wear saris and all the indian jewellery/bindis for the evening so I wanted to include an insert in my invitations to let OHs female family members know that if they wish they can join in and wear indian clothing too. I want a way of keeping it short and simple and I want it to be clear that it is only an option and not a request or demand but I seem to be stuck for words and was wondering if you lovely ladies could help.

5 replies

Latest activity by hallowedding, 6 of March of 2015 at 19:16
  • miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Something along the lines of: 'formal english or indian attire welcomed for all guests'? maybe? dunno.... trickier than it sounds! best of luck! :/

• A
    Beginner May 2016
    Arabella16 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like a lovely idea! How about something along the lines of 'Indian dress is welcome for all guests should you wish to wear it, as is English attire. Please feel free to choose your preference as nationality doesn't matter!'

Its a tricky one to word but this might set you off or inspire some other ideas... x

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

Firstly Congratulations! Your day sounds fantastic.

If you are including an insert, will you be mentioning other details about your plans for the evening reception?

How about something like:

For the evening reception, we will be serving Indian food and playing Bhangra music. We will be happy to see you in saris and Indian jewellery/bindis if you so wish (no pressure!). Equally, we will be just as happy to see you in Western attire.

Sorry, it's a bit long (tough one!).

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Hm... I wonder whether it would actually be easier to tell them this personally or get a message out to them.

It might be difficult to bring across that this is not a request. Could you get OH and his parents to mention it to people when they see them/speak to them?

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

Would it work to keep it simple and go for 'Traditional Indian or European dress welcome!'?

• H
    Beginner October 2015
    hallowedding ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I like the idea of saying Indian or English attire welcomed, that makes it clear that its not a request, I don't know some of his cousins who will be attending so couldn't just tell them and OHS parents aren't with us, and his sisters haven't been helpful so far so I eouldnt want to rely on them. I've got a better idea now if where to start as I was coming up completely blank so thanks again Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics