Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner September 2015

Dress dilemma

Milly_Bride, 22 of November of 2014 at 11:13 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some dress help and opinions!

I've never really liked traditional wedding dresses and have always seen myself in a tea length dress, something a bit different and funky. I've tried on a few but struggled to find anything that really grabs me in bridal shops. One I really did like was this one:

It's pretty much the style I wanted, although I would want it in a shorter length and champagne rather than ivory, so I wasn't able to try on the 'exact' dress. I also have spoken to a dress designer who could make me something similar but to my exact specifications and in any colour I want - including some fun coloured petticoats which I'd love.

However on my last shopping trip I ended up trying on all sorts of different types of dress just to see and this one just grabbed me as being highly fabulous and made me look amazing:

Now, these two dresses probably couldn't be more different!! The second is absolutely ginormous and although I loved wearing it in the shop, I'm not sure it's 'me' or would fit with our wedding (which is a small affair in a little family run vineyard... I'm not even sure the dress would fit down the aisle in the little ceremony room!!) The main thing that's on my mind is that no other dress has really made me say 'wow'! But perhaps that dress would make anyone say 'wow'... I mean it is spectacular. I'm not the kind of person to break down crying at a dress and fully expect that the dress I choose will be one that makes me say 'yeah I like this', that feels like 'me' and I can see wearing for a full day. I am a practical woman!

Anyway, just wanted some thoughts - what would you do?? Fabulous, expensive and impractical vs funky, easy to wear but still a little unknown...

7 replies

Latest activity by MrsB88, 23 of November of 2014 at 22:08
  • Charliebob
    Beginner May 2016
    Charliebob ·
    • Hide content

I would take in to account, budget, the theme of the wedding, your accessories you want, which you can imagine yourself in on the day.

I didn't get the WOW factor, I went with the dress I felt most ME in. Which was a plain ivory satin pleated dress, as sometimes less is more.

Both very pretty dresses, would probs opt for no.1 though if its a small wedding and in a vineyard, probs have more freedom to move around in it too!

Just don't get carried away with the whole wedding saga, you are still you at the end of the day, which suits your personality more?

• hellandglory
    Rockstar October 2019
    hellandglory ·
    • Hide content

Personally, i'd go for comfort and 'me'

if you don't mind me asking - where is the first dress from? Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks both, you are right I need to feel like 'me' and comfortable on the day! Got a bit carried away by the fabulousness I think!

The first dress is the 'Claire' design by House of Mooshki.

• hellandglory
    Rockstar October 2019
    hellandglory ·
    • Hide content

I don't suppose there was a guide price tag on the mooshki dress? Its bloody beautiful!

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

It is isn't it? Smiley smile The shop i tried it on in said £1400 for the tea length, slightly more for mid calf length.

• F
    Beginner September 2015
    Future*mrsP ·
    • Hide content

Exactly this!! Yes you want to feel like yourself....but why not be a slightly over the top glamorous version of yourself?! I'm all for a big frock if they are right for the person. And when are you going to get the chance to wear a full on gown again? The tea length dress is lovely, but its easy to find reasons to wear a tea length dress....not so much a full length ball gown! We are having a smallish wedding with a hog roast wedding breakfast....i will enjoy it all in my full princess gown complete with tiara and long veil....i feel so special in my dress and i just cant wait! Of course you should go with what u think is best, but i dont think you should be afraid to go full on bridal!!

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

I prefer the first dress & i said 'wow' when i saw it!! I think tea length dresses are different and do have people saying wow! Go with your heart, what is more you & what you will feel more comfortable in. Remember you will be in it all day!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics