Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Dress Disaster :-(

23 December, 2011 at 12:37 Posted on Planning 0 8

Not sure if anyone has already seen my saga on the March brides thread, but I made a decision a few weeks ago to get my 2nd hand wedding dress dry cleaned ahead of my wedding as when I received it from the seller, it had a real smell to it - a sort of takeaway/chips and BO smell, which was nice ?

After much umming and ahhing I got a quote and was pleasantly surprised when a quote came back at £70 rather than the predicted £150+...after a few issues with getting it picked up and then delivered back, I finally got it back 1/2hr ago. Anyone going to guess what happened next?

Well, apart from my dress cover not being returned alongside the dress - I sent it off with it all nicely zipped up and covered and now its gone missing "nothing to do with me" says the driver - so the whole street saw my dress, but this is the least of my problems - THE SMELL IS STILL THERE!!!!

And now I really, really don't know what to do. I feel like I have totally fallen out of love with the dress now.

What to do?

8 replies

Latest activity by BridalButterfly2012, 23 December, 2011 at 19:50
  • haylee81
    Beginner May 2012
    haylee81 ·
    • Hide content

I would probably get on to the cleaners and state your case, if it was still smelling i'd be marching back to the shop for them to have a whiff and either expect it to be done again or a refund. As for the cover I presume this would still be with them if you had the item delivered back to yourself. "Get on the phone"! I'm sure it's just the aggro that's making you doubt the dress, I'm sure you will sort it.

• P
    Beginner June 2012
    Pockers ·
    • Hide content

Didn't want to ready and run, bless you, what a nightmare. Hope you get it sorted soon x

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Do you know how they actually cleaned it?

I've just got my dress cleaned, cost £170! They had a good look at it, it has lots of beading so they washed it rather than dry cleaned it. However I knew exactly what they were doing with my dress as they kept phoning me to discuss it. They've done an amazing job. I just wonder how much they actually told you.

If you aren't happy with the service and it still smells they you have every right to complain and take the dress back, but I would definitely want more info on what they have done,

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I think if you don't get any joy maybe stuff it in a duvet cover and wash it on a handwash programme

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

If you don't get anywhere with the dry cleaners, is there a clothing version of fabreeze? It wouldn't clean your dress, but would take away the smell, mind you, might be risky in case it stains. I'd suggest going back to the shop and demanding it be redone or a full refund so you can take it elsewhere. I have all this yet to come with my 2nd hand dress.

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

Buy the dress you love on Preloved. Try to resolve the cleaning issue with the dry cleaners and then sell it (and the other one). You won't be happy if you have to make too big a compromise and £600 isn't extortionate for a dress.

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

H hun,

I am so sorry to hear about your dilemma and i hope you get it sorted. I have not seen your march brides post so this may be irrelevant depending what it was but i was just thinking maybe it would be more worth while for you to wear your other dress you have for both dates instead and maybe think of selling it on ebay or somewhere when the issue is resolved and then you can get some money back on then too.

Good luck and i hope it all works out for you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics