Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Flowmojo
Beginner

Dress Down Fridays..

Flowmojo, 13 July, 2012 at 12:31 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 36

One of the directors here has just travelled back from our northern depot and has come in wearing jeans..theres uproar!!

When i worked at RBS, we had a dress down day every Friday, we could come in non business wear so jeans, trainers and so on. I loved this, made the day more chilled !!

Do you get dress down days weekly? or only for charity days (you know, £1 in the pot type thing to wear 'civis')

36 replies

Latest activity by Aurora Borealis, 13 July, 2012 at 22:07
  • Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I would love dress down Friday! I've been here for 2 and a half years and we've never even had one dress down day. Even on 'wear it pink day' we had to pay a pound and wear something pink that was work clothes, rubbish I reckon

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

The Local Authority does dress down Friday on the last friday of every month, £1 for charity. In my old dept the ? of a boss wouldnt even let us do that! In our new dept it's dress down every Friday for a 'donation' to the Xmas party fund! Wooo

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

I think at my company we'd have to have a dress up Friday! I work in the games industry, so we basically wear jeans and tshirts every day... some of the guys even fail at this, I'm sure I've seen a few walk around in pajamas....

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Every Friday here. And one guy wears the same t-shirt EVERY week.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

When I worked in London, it was suits all week and then "dress down" was a smart skirt/trouser and blouse/top or a nice dress, still really smart.

Here I wear what I want really. I don't go to court, so I rarely wear a suit unless I'm meeting a really important client.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

In a previous place I worked we had dress down Fridays at the end of every month (worked in a bank) but some staff generally took the p.. and looked scruffy all the time. This was hightlighted when our company was bought over and new directors arrived straight from the airport apologising for their 'civis' as their luggage had been lost. They were wearing chinos and poloshirts and looked far smarter than most of the staff that day. After that dress code was tightened and dress down days stopped ☹️

At the moment we only do it on days like 'Pink Day' and the last day before Christmas. My work before this there was no dress code and we wore what was appropriate to what we'd be doing that day (suited and booted for meetings to jeans for photoshoots and warehouse work!) which was brilliant.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Every day is dress down day here, if you want!

But I usually only wear jeans on a Friday.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

We wear what we want all the time. Most people look reasonably smart-casual, i.e. in dresses or skirts/tops (not t-shirts), or trousers. Some of the younger ones wear dark skinny jeans with boots, but never faded jeans or baggy jeans.

One person in another office here wears trainers but everyone else is in boots or ballet shoe-type flats, or pretty sandals/heels.

• LittleMissP
    Beginner September 2012
    LittleMissP ·
    • Hide content

Everyday is dress down Friday here, i practically live in my jeans! I recently had to go away for work where we had to do conferences, i actually had to rush out the weekend before and buy some smart trousers and blouses!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Yes we do, one of the greatest things ever to be introduced!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

We do have dress down fridays, but to be honest, I dont really dress majorly smart (i.e. Suit) any day, nor do most people.

However today I am going out after work - got a hot date with a married man (my husband...) and am weering a black dress with heels!

• Flumpkin
    Beginner December 2012
    Flumpkin ·
    • Hide content

In my old job (large fashion retailer) we wore what we wanted as long as there were no obvious logos on show but now I work for a drinks company and the dress code is smart/casual (not suits) and then dress down Friday when you can wear jeans. We do have a strict policy of no spaghetti straps and no flip flops though!

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content

Everyday for me is dress down day. i work in a design studio so no need to dress up unless customers are in!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes! One of our blokes here does that! It makes me wonder if he ever washes it...

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    sr3693 ·
    • Hide content

Yep every Friday! Smiley winking

• Cakeycase
    Beginner December 2012
    Cakeycase ·
    • Hide content

At my local authority we don't have a dresscode.

Most people tend to wear jeans each day with trainers. Some might dress it up with a shirt or smart top, others don't bother!

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

They are quite relazxed here, ive been know to wear my jeans and converse during the week, ususal with a nice top though. If I have a meeting I will make more of an effort! Fridays are alwas a jeans and converse day, I dont tend to wear tshirts or logos on though. i did pick up my Sundale High tshirt this morn and thought about it as the office is always half ull on a friday and non of my mangers are in but decided against it.

the blokes tend to wear trousers and shirts evryday, no ties though!

I used to work in a plcae that had dress down fridays but you couldnt wear jeans which i thought was stupid!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you mean Sunnydale High? As in Buffy?! If so, where can I get one?!

Or you may in fact mean Sundale. In which case ignore me.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

We have a dress down Friday each week unless the CEO is visiting. Most people get it pretty right. Just jeans and t shirts or leggings and dresses. We have a no flip flop rule due to H & S though. There is one woman who ignores it though.

Even during the week though most office staff just wear shirt and tie or black trousers and smart top for women. Only the field based people wear suits.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Doh , yes I did mean Sunnydale, Im a little hungover today and my typing is effected!

Its from Truffle shuffle, I had a voucher and couldnt resist it! Its really nice and its a nice length so doesnt expose my muffin top! plus you always get sweeties with your order!

https://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/ladies-buffy-sunnydale-high-tshirt

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Amazing!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We have a 'fairly' relaxed policy here... you can wear jeans during the week but they must be smart jeans, and you should be in business dress if you are meeting anyone external. No beach wear or scruffy clothes. People have been sent home for wearing clothes outside of policy.

Our design/buying floor tends to be a bit of a young fashion show! I swear some of them get dressed in the dark ?

• Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

We have dress down every friday and every last thursday we have a charity dress down where we pay £1

x

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I work for a charity and we don't have dress down days! We are a "NO JEANS" office and are expected to look fairly smart every day.

I live in black trousers (grey in the summer) and smart shirts/tops and occasionally a dress if the weather ever warms up.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just spent the last half an hour mooching through this site! Amezzin!

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

Only for charity days here, the rest of the time we are expected to be smart casual. My new job is definately more relaxed in dress than my old was though.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have so much of their stuff, some of their stuff is a bit pricy, i really want a couple fo the Out of Pribnt range but £30 for a tshirt.....I'll wait for a nother voucher!

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I tend to wear smart casual to work most days, but Fridays i feel that it's ok to wear Jeans. my line manager is frequently seen in jeans. I would always make sure that i was smartly dressed if i have to go to a meeting, but otherwise it doesn't really matter what we wear!

• happy_feet
    Beginner
    happy_feet ·
    • Hide content

Nope no dress down at our school, although I wear dance gear and trainers every day anyway! Inset days are the only casual days

• happy_feet
    Beginner
    happy_feet ·
    • Hide content

Our school doesn't allow non school uniform days for the kids either!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Most of the the time, I wear what I want but there are certain things that aren't practical (heels or flip flops) - I only wear heels if I'm not planning to be in the lab. If I'm lecturing, I dress up depending on the audience - jeans/smart top/blazer for undergrads, shift dress/trousers and top for Masters. When presenting at conferences etc, it's smart smart smart all the way.

Having said that, my next lecture block is undergrad medics. And they don't respect scientists at the best of times (sorry Helenia), so may have go uber-smart for that as well. It really doesn't help that I am a small person who looks younger than she is.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I so want to come to one of your lectures.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics