Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner May 2015

Dress fitting - too soon??

rjm563, 10 of March of 2015 at 14:37 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hello! I was just wondering if anyone could share their experiences so I know if this is the norm?

My bridal dress shop told me to come in for my first fitting 12 weeks before the wedding. I assumed it was so we could have a few fittings. I had my first fitting yesterday and they said they didn't need to see me until 2 - 3 weeks before the wedding. I asked what happens if I loose weight between now and then and they seemed a bit almost surprised that I might loosed weight when there's still 3 months to go until the wedding!! I asked if they could start the alterations later but they said they have to start the fitting now as May is really busy, and if I need further alterations when I go back 2-3weeks before the wedding they'll have to charge me again (I'm paying £175 to have it taken up and in, and to have the bustle added).

Is it normal to go in so soon, and not expect to go back until that close to the wedding? It seemed a bit odd to me, but because it's a large reputable shop I didn't know whether to argue!

Cheers,

Becky

8 replies

Latest activity by AprilBride15, 11 of March of 2015 at 12:51
  • Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Mine told me I should come back 6 weeks before the wedding for alterations so 12 weeks seems quite early in comparison.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

If I remember rightly my dress arrived in store in the October, I went to check and see if ok straight away. I went back in January for first fitting (only needed length taken up) and went back 2 weeks before wedding for final fitting and to take it away. If anything else had needed to be done they still had time to do it but it was perfect.

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    AprilBride15 ·
    • Hide content

I went to an independent seamstress and she said that she always times it so the last fitting is no more than 5 weeks before the big day and no less than 2 weeks - in case further things need changing. So 12 weeks before seems a bit soon if you are only having 2 fittings.

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Could you have your fitting done somewhere else than the shop you bought your dress at?

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

I get married June 6th and had my first fitting on Saturday. I knew that April and May would be some of the busier months for the seamstress so I was happy to go now. 2nd fitting is at the end of March. I committed to changi g my shape before now so need to maintain but not lose....this way I put no pressure on myself the closer we get to the wedding so it suits me. I would have been anxious leaving my fitting too much longer in case it wasn't done in time....but as I lost my first wedding dress 3 weeks before my wedding first time around as the dress shop went bust and the owners did a runner, perhaps that explains my happiness to be ready early this time!!

• R
    Beginner May 2015
    rjm563 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! I wouldn't mind too much if I was having another fitting between now and May, but they just wouldn't give me that option, said they were too busy.

It just seems unreasonable for them to be surprised that I might loose weight in the next 2 months! Even if I don't plan to I'm sure the stress will kick in soon ;-)

• R
    Beginner May 2015
    RainbowBride2015 ·
    • Hide content

I get married on 26th May and have my first fitting next fri. They said 8 weeks before but I've gone with next fri as it fits with my work shifts so I guess that's 9.5 weeks before x

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    AprilBride15 ·
    • Hide content

I will just add to this, that my seamstress took my measurements at each fitting, so if I lost or gained she would have proof and therefore be able to charge me for further alterations.

Just something to think about if you have large gap in between fittings.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics