Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner October 2015

Dress for registry office

firsttimebride83, 12 of February of 2015 at 18:08 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hello fellow brides

This is my first post on here so I hope I've come to the right place!

OH and I finally getting married in October after 6 years. It's going to be a small event as we're doing it on a tight budget.

We're getting married in our local registry office - which isn't the nicest of buildings outside but has a nice garden over the road - and then onto our favourite pub for a three course meal. 14 adults in total, plus our son.

I've been looking at dresses and I just wondered what do you wear for a registry office wedding and then meal afterwards? I'm not a big ballgown kinda gal - I love simple lace and straps - so would a long dress look out of place? or am I better getting a knee length one? OH is just wearing a shirt and tie - it's quite informal!

Thanks girls x

12 replies

Latest activity by elvira-darkside, 14 of February of 2015 at 11:54
  • M
    Beginner June 2015
    MRSLUXTON2B ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome to hitched!

Congratulations!

I am also getting married in a registry office and then we fly straight of to Turkey, so a small event similar to yours! I have picked a lace 'fishtail' type dress full length, with a veil!

I was like you abit unsure however just because it is simple and low key doesn't mean you can't wear a proper wedding dress,, I would try a few on and wear whatever you feel comfortable in!

Good luck finding the dress! ☺️ X

• Inspyre
    Beginner August 2016
    Inspyre ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married at the local town hall, and while I initially only wanted a tea-length semi-casual dress, I'm now going all out wedding gown!

Simple answer is, wear what you want Smiley smile The town hall will have seen it all before anyway from jeans and t-shirt to full on princess dress!

• Yvetterob
    Beginner March 2016
    Yvetterob ·
    • Hide content

As the others have said wear what you are comfortable in. A friend of mine recently got married which was a very low key wedding at registry office and her dress came from Tesco, if you look on line they have a wedding section and i think her dress was around £40-£50.

• L
    Beginner September 2015
    lindabelle66 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Im getting married in the local registry office too, and a small gathering in the local pub just like you. It is my partners first wedding, my second, but he wants me to look like a bride so ive got a full length straight lace gown, no bling, but nevertheless beautiful. I have decided against a veil. Ive also got misgivings about looking a bit out of place or over done. I had thought I wanted a knee length 50s tea style dress but having tried one on it just didn't feel right on me. Have the dress you feel the most comfortable in, you will look stunning regardless of the venue, its your special day!

L

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Wear whatever you want, it's your day! Smiley laugh Take a look at Debenhams, bhs and monsoon for high street wedding dresses or bridesmaid style dresses, or think about getting a bridesmaid dress from a wedding boutique, they come in all the colours under the sun and are a lot more affordable. But if you want to wear jeans and t shirt do it, and if you want a full lace bridal gown do that!

• F
    Beginner October 2015
    firsttimebride83 ·
    • Hide content

Wow what a friendly site! Thanks so much for the replies, it's much appreciated!

I'm actually completely in love with this dress

http://www.bhs.co.uk/en/bhuk/product/wedding-1020484/wedding-dresses-3911397/champagne-alice-bridal-dress-4087146?bi=1&ps=40

I have a few months and pounds to lose first though!

Thanks again x

• F
    Beginner October 2015
    firsttimebride83 ·
    • Hide content

Wow what a friendly site! Thanks so much for the replies, it's much appreciated!

I'm actually completely in love with this dress

http://www.bhs.co.uk/en/bhuk/product/wedding-1020484/wedding-dresses-3911397/champagne-alice-bridal-dress-4087146?bi=1&ps=40

I have a few months and pounds to lose first though!

Thanks again x

• TrixieSaurus
    Beginner August 2016
    TrixieSaurus ·
    • Hide content

That dress is lovely! Smiley smile

I think all above have given the best advice - it's your day so wear whatever you'll feel comfortable in. Definitely don't worry about looking out of place afterwards. For the record though, I don't think the dress you linked would look that out of place anyway Smiley smile

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Ditto all the above and the dress is gorgeous and very very appropriate for any wedding but fits perfectly with what you've described. Enjoy x

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, yeah, that dress would be perfect! Keep an eye on it, if you're planning to wait a few months you might be able to get some money off too Smiley smile

• It Must Be Love Wedding Photography
    It Must Be Love Wedding Photography ·
    • Hide content

LOVE the dress! With beautiful hair and make up you'll look stunning! Lends itself well to a 50s theme, when people spent less money on weddings but still had a fabulous time. I'm picturing quirky fun loved up photos as I write this now...

• F
    Beginner October 2015
    firsttimebride83 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Christopher, shame you aren't in the north east!! I am going for sort of 50s as I love lindybop dresses/the makeup etc. :-)

• E
    Beginner October 2015
    elvira-darkside ·
    • Hide content

Yay! another north east bride!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics