Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner July 2015

Dress help/opinion ***FLASH***

stephers01, 19 of January of 2015 at 23:00

Posted on Planning 70

Evening ladies! I had a dress wobble about two weeks ago so today i went to try on a dress i had fallen in love with on the Sophia Tolli website. I tried her on and she was beautiful, as was my original choice and then the lady suggested trying on something completely different so I did. Out of the...

Evening ladies!

I had a dress wobble about two weeks ago so today i went to try on a dress i had fallen in love with on the Sophia Tolli website.

I tried her on and she was beautiful, as was my original choice and then the lady suggested trying on something completely different so I did.

Out of the three pictures (I know they aren't great quality, sorry) which do you think suits me best?? Bearing in mind they don't fit perfectly and the hair isn't the way i would have it and so on and so on...................As you can see, I'm on the curvy side xxx

70 replies

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

Number 1 is just fabulous, I too said wow out loud!

• hellandglory
    Rockstar October 2019
    hellandglory ·
    • Hide content

I just looked on the sophia tolli website and i think the dress looks better on you than it does the model they have!
    I agree with others though, try on the two dresses again and go with whatever you feel best in - and not what we all say.

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!! I've come back to this thread today for another sneaky look at number 1 again! That would have given me wobbles had i not already got married!!

I love the colour on you. Can't work out if it's the colour or the dress I love. Does anyone have a flash/link to it in ivory?

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

Number 2 gets my vote!

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

Here is a link to a photoshoot from a real life bride wearing the white/ivory

http://moncheribridals.com/trending/sophia-tolli-bride-katerina/

I think she looks stunning and IM not putting the link on to bad mouth it in any way, just to show how different the dress looks when not in a 'colour' to me the ruffles dont show up as much and the detailing doesnt appear so strong.

AGAIN: i think the bride looks absolutely stunning in her dress

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I like number 1 best.

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

I LOVE dress number 1 - I think it's utterly stunning but for me I think it has a lot to do with the colour. I've seen the photos of it in white and it didn't look nearly as exciting to me. I also like how your figure is accentuated in dress number 3 - and if it makes you feel sexy then that's a bonus. But I think you should try on some more fitted styles and find a dress that's fitted and still has the WOW factor if you can. Good luck!

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the link charlieinc. You're right - dress 1 does look very different in ivory. I much prefer the coffee colour. Really WOWS.

ha, any closer to a decision stephers?!

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

Oh man, dress 1! Like SillyWrong - i also just did an out loud 'wow' when i saw that! the colours amazing! BUT dress 3 also looks great, and you have to go with what you love, and feel comfortable in. You said dress 1 was very heavy? Its definitely something to take into account...I discounted a beautiful dress as it felt so heavy and constricting on...can you go back and try them both on and see which one gives you the most butterflies? Or do the whole, if someone said you defintely cannot wear dress 1/dress 3 - which would you feel most disappointed about?

• pinkypoo85
    Beginner August 2016
    pinkypoo85 ·
    • Hide content

Another for dress one! It is stunning on you and the colour is so flattering for your skin tone. I agree I looked on the website and the dress looks better on you than the model and also it look amazing in that colour as opposed to the ivory. Its the wow factor and lets be honest when will you wear a dress like that ever again?! Its beautiful!

Two is a no it cuts you in the wrong place and three to me doesnt look as good on your figure as one. One is more flattering and just WOW!!!!!

x

• J
    Beginner February 2015
    jemster ·
    • Hide content

Initially I liked number 2 but now I'm thinking number 1 but I think both of those are very flattering - definitely not number 3.

• S
    Beginner July 2015
    stephers01 ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone!
    I've chosen dress number 3 as I just felt sensational in it. I totally agree that dress 1 is wow and so so different and I was desperate to try her on and love her but I wasn't in love. it was far to heavy and honestly I think number 3 gives me a lot more shape.
    I really appreciate all your opinions and feel bad for going against them x

• J
    Beginner February 2015
    jemster ·
    • Hide content

It's YOUR day and your choice and you HAVE to be happy in it! I'm sure there'll be people who won't like my choice but I don't care, you're not wearing it for them.

Have a lovely day in it!

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your beautiful dress! You are going to look gorgeous

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

Number 1 is my fav xx

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

I bought my dress from this shop!!

I also vote no.1!

xx

• M
    Beginner December 2014
    MRS RB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't feel bad about anything, it's your dress and you have to go with what makes you feel amazing :-)

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

I think 1 is just amazing. You look stunning. BUT YOU ALSO look amazing in 3! So sexy. And if it's the most comfortable, then you've definitely made the right choice.

Which shop is this please?

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

Whysea - it is Embrace Bridal in Peterborough

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

Embrace Bridal in Deeping I believe!

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ohhhhh good. I have an appointment there in Feb.

❤️

• S
    Beginner July 2015
    stephers01 ·
    • Hide content

Ahhhhh! It's me again!
    I'm having a meltdown! I just can't get dress number 1 out of my head even though I've confirmed on dress three.
    Did anyone else love two dresses for totally different reasons!? I actually want to cry xx

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

Bless you! Do you thinking on this occasion, asking for opinions on the forum has affected your decision? When do you get married? Have you got time to ask the shop to wait before ordering, and go back to look again, try them all again? I can see why you're torn between the two dresses, no.3 shows off your curves but no.1 also really flatters you and has a wow factor!

What sort of wedding are you having? Do you have a theme? Is it a church wedding? Maybe these factors will also help you envisage how you'll look & feel on your day in your chosen dress!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Dress 1 is stunning - but you've already said you have a July wedding and it a very heavy dress - it might look stunning but from the sounds of things you are potentially going to be very uncomfratable in it. You LOVE dress 3 - stick with it Smiley smile

Often in life we are torn between two or more choices. You have to make a decision so once made - stop rethinking it. Enjoy the choice you have made and stop thinking about dress 1.

FWIW - yes I was torn between two dresses. I went back to the shop the next day to try them on but then found another dress so the choice then fell between a new two. I still love the dress I discounted, of course I do or I wouldn't have been torn, but I adore the dress I have chosen. Like you, I love the way it makes me feel and that is what matters more than anything.

• S
    Beginner July 2015
    stephers01 ·
    • Hide content

The problem is is that the dress I choose has to ordered now for it to arrive in time. It takes 4-5 months and I only have under 6 months left.
    I haven't got time to go back to the shop as it is over three hours away from where I live.
    Dress 1 does have the wow factor. Yes she was heavy but she was also far too long and big in the bust.
    Dress 3 worries me that it draws too much attention to the hips and I might be conscious on the day if bloated at all. When having pictures, only certain angels being best.
    I'm getting married in a big old house having a civil ceremony.
    Every 10 mins I keep looking back at my photos because I am abit scared by dress 3.
    I also prefer all the frills of tulle whereas the skirt on dress three is organza (I think) and doesn't seem as nice. But the bodice has beautiful lace xx

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

Hi Stephers01, did you look at the link I posted to see the dress in ivory/white? Do you still love the dress as much in that colour? Are you going to be able to cope with the weight of it in summer?

With dress 3, remember you felt amazing in it, are you happy with the shape it gives you? or are you now looking for things to be wrong with it?

I know exactly what you mean about being torn between 2 very different dresses and I do sometimes wonder if I should have chosen the other one, however I felt more amazing in the one I chose, I just worry because its very 'girly' and pretty and not at all what I would normally choose. However it felt right and I have to trust once its all fitted properly by the seamstress and I try it on again that it will feel just as special again.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh dear! You love dress 3 because it's lighter and it fits your body beautifully. The structure of the dress is such that you don't need to worry about bloating etc, so don't let that bother you. I actually agree that number 1 looks better in the colour too so you might have been disappointed with it when it arrived. Just think about how blown away your OH will be when you walk down that aisle in number 3, stunner! Smiley smile

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

I wonder if you are being swayed because the Dress 1 was the favourite by people on here? You have already said you didn't feel great in it and felt amazing in Dress 3. Particularly when it was the colour of Dress 1 (myself included) that was the wow factor.

I would also comment that we are choosing from just ONE photo of each. It is often difficult as the way a dress moves and the back and the train etc are all important too. When I looked at those photos of No 1 in real life I was taken aback by how BIG it is in real life when you take into account the train etc. That's a whole lot of ruffles which isn't as evident in your photo. In white as well it just looks like a huge mass of white as the detail of the ruffle is lost. It's a big dress to carry off.

Think about your day and how you want the day to be. Do you want it a little more relaxed with garden games etc or very formal. The dress needs to fit into your day and Dress 1 would be difficult to manoeuvre in all day. If you didn't feel beautiful in it then stick with your choice of No 3. The corseting in No 3 will pull everything in properly so don't worry about bloating.

• RomanticPinkConfetti274
    Beginner June 2016
    RomanticPinkConfetti274 ·
    • Hide content

No 1 looks stunning, very eye-catching, I think it fits you better.

Good luck in whichever one you choose.

?

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

1st one.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Haven't read the other replies so here is my unadulterated opinion: number 2 does you no favours, cuts you in half and is not flattering; although it is a beautiful dress it isn't right for you.

Numbers 1 and 3 are both flattering and I'm sure number 3 would look even better if it was a better fit. Number 1 has a wow factor but that might be how unusually-coloured it is: will this match your colour scheme/fit into your overall plan? It is also very big so may be less comfortable over the whole day. Number 3 looks very well on you and is very flattering for your shape. I'm guessing this is the one that the shop suggested just because it is different from the others?

I'd go for 1 or 3, depending on which one makes you feel best/matched your overall vibe/price, as they both look fantastic.

• Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

I recognise that lovely lady.... and indeed the shop lol!

Give me a ring honey if your struggling, the ladies have given some very honest opinions and some valuable advice. Dress 1 (marlene) was what prompted you to drive all the way across the country in the first place to have a try on wasn't it so your attraction to that particular dress is very strong. Dress 2 I think is probably out of the running and dress 3 was a real wild card that we put on to show that just because your not a size 10 you can't wear something more fitted. I think you also still cannot believe how you felt when you looked in the mirror and I think I recall a few "oh my god, that's not me" comments.

So many of my brides are "advised" to stay clear of certain styles be a use they won't "suit them". In reality it is usually because shops think that at a size 16 or above you will want to cover up and hide any lumps or bumps! A well fitting, well structured gown is worth its weight in gold for accentuating your assets and drawing the eye away from those bits we don't particularly want people to notice.

you still have some thinking time but I think the best thing to do is to bring a trusted friend and try them again xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics