Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner March 2015

Dress loan from designer fees

Bumble19, 27 of February of 2014 at 16:37 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi all,

I've had my eye on a dress which I really like on the internet and have contacted all the suppliers near me to ask if they stock it. Unfortunately none of them do but I have been offered that they can get it in for me as a loan from the designer for £30. Now this sounds good but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of this and how it worked out for you?

I'm well aware that I'm a terrible shopper and often when I try clothes on it's not what Ive though might look good on the hanger, I get really fed up clothes shopping, hate crowded shops etc so tend to online shop a lot. Because of this I'm really looking forward to wedding dress shopping as I can book my appointment and have help from the shop. But also we're on a small budget and I can't afford to spend £30 too often for any dresses that aren't in stock.

What would you do, I'm thinking I'll pay the £30 this time as I have liked this dress for ages and if I don't like it on I can at least look at all the other styles in the shop and try them onto see if I can find the one! If I buy any dress from the shop they'll take the £30 off that price.

Has anyone done this and bought the dress or realised it was not the one...?

10 replies

Latest activity by Bumble19, 28 of February of 2014 at 13:23
  • alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

It is a bit of a gamble but if it's just this one dress then I think £30 isn't extortionate, annoying having to pay though. If you didn't try that dress on you'll always be wondering if it was the one, bite the bullet and give it a shot and don't forget the flash!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I've not heard of this before.

It may be worth finding a dress similar to the style of the one you like and trying that on first for free then you can get a better idea if that style suits you before 'wasting' £30 on a dress that may not suit you.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

It is normal and £30 is cheap! I'd look for similar dresses first to see if the style is right. Then if the style is right it's worth going for it. You get it back if you order the dress, but you're as well minimising the risks of you not liking it first by ensuring it's not going to be a no no from the off. For example, if it's a strapless A line dress, try a couple on first to see if strapless works, and also if A line works. If so then go for it, but if you find strapless and/or A line doesn't work then you haven't wasted £30.

The boutique should help you here ;_

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

I was offered this too at my bridal shop, because I was dithering between two dresses but when I went back to try on the one that they did have I just decided that was the one I wanted. I definitely would have done it though because it probably would have cost me more in petrol to go and try the dress on in the nearest shop that had it in. Good advice above though - try on similar styles first to see if the general style works and if it does go for it! In the long run you're more likely to regret not trying it on than you would be trying it on and finding out it wasn't the one.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This definitely. That way you won't waste money unless you know the style is right x

• B
    Beginner March 2015
    Bumble19 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies, I think i'll go and try a similar style on first to check suitability before spending the money. Its a tea length satin dress with a lace overlay I absolutely love it from the pics and its the style I keep going back to so I hope its the one! I'll keep you posted!

• B
    Beginner July 2014
    blueypye ·
    • Hide content

Can you tell us the make a number of the dress? Some one on here might know where one is x

• B
    Beginner March 2015
    Bumble19 ·
    • Hide content

It's this one Smiley smile

http://plbgbridal.com/product/kenneth_winston/style_1550

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

Totally agree with the above advice. I had my heart set on a dress and spent ages ringing around trying to find a sample or a store that could order it. Tried on similar style from same designer.....I looked bloody awful lol. If you love the style on you then its worth paying 30 for the loan....I was shocked at the system at first but some designers charge more. Good luck x

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow! That is gorgeous! What sort of price range is it?

• B
    Beginner March 2015
    Bumble19 ·
    • Hide content

It's £775 from the shop that's offered to do the loan x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics