Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Curious February 2025 Essex

Dress regret??

Miss, 1 of May of 2024 at 19:02 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 8
So, I went wedding dress shopping at the weekend and ended up purchasing a dress. This was not the plan. I wanted to go and try on various different styles and shapes of dresses to see what I felt best in.

I was married 15 years ago and had a corset back, strapless sweetheart neckline A-line dress. The shape was flattering (I was 3 stone heavier then) but the corset back was a pain in the butt to get done up and the sweetheart neckline made me very self conscious of my boobs! I was about a 38FF at the time...
So I definitely do not want a corset back, sweetheart strapless dress. I'd prefer not to have an A-line skirt too because I've lost a fair amount of weight and am quite curvy/hour glass shape so want to show that off. Also, we are having a small intimate chilled wedding so didn't want anything "too weddingy"...
Anyway. Dress shopping. I was going on my own but when a couple of friends found this out they insisted on coming. I'd decided on a shop over 60 miles away because they have a huge selection of "off the peg" dresses which, tend to be cheaper than ordering a designer so if I found "the one" at least it would likely not break the bank ..
So, my friends came and I think I just got caught up in their excitement. The dress I have bought is flattering on me, the back is stunning and exactly the sort of thing I wanted but, it's A-line....
I keep thinking that I should have kept looking. I wanted a more mermaid style skirt and when I walked in the owner said "fishtail with those curves!"
The dress was £150 more than I ideally wanted to spend. I cannot take it back/refunds are not given. So if I continue shopping, I will spend even more over my budget on an alternative dress
I have contacted seamstresses regarding the possibility of changing the skirt but gave been told if it is possible, it'll be a lot of work and so quite expensive....
I don't know what to do! I don't remember feeling this way about my first wedding dress 15 years ago but, is it normal to feel like this about your dress/have these doubts?

8 replies

Latest activity by Greeny, 6 of May of 2024 at 06:54
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It's difficult to say without seeing the actual dress, but based on silhouette, I would think a mermaid style would be far more 'weddingy' than an a-line. And while it's great that you are happy with your body shape and size, you don't need to wear a fitted gown to prove it. (And I actually think the shop assistant's comment was quite inappropriate - no one is obliged to show their body off in a fitted gown whether they have curves or not!) You say that the gown is beautiful and suits you - I wonder if 'a-line' has become aligned in your mind with your uncomfortable, disliked dress of 15 years ago. It might help if you try reminding yourself that there are dozens of different types of a-line dresses, and the one you have now is nothing like the one you wore back then.

Shops don't usually take back dresses, but they will sometimes allow you to exchange, so if you are really unhappy with your dress, and they had others there that you liked, then it might be worth asking if you can swap.

Alternatively, you could try selling it - you won't recoup all your money, but it would be better than losing the lot.

But I would spend some time first considering whether you are allowing an 'a-line prejudice' to put you off a lovely dress!

• M
    Miss ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your reply. It might be because my last dress was A-line and I want to step as far away from that as possible however, I was open to a-line when trying on dresses because I know that shape is flattering.

Our wedding is a small intimate chilled laid back affair - 30 guests, celebrant, BBQ as the food option with a further 50 guests to the evening with toasties and loaded fries ...
    An a-line "big" dress just feels... More formal than I'd like? I think I wanted something more fitted and understated?
    They may exchange, yes ... I think I'm going to go and try on more dresses in the shape I had in my mind so I can decide if it suits or not. I only tried on one in that style/shape but the neckline wasn't flattering (high and straight, which makes me look blocky as I'm a 34F/32G) so my focus was pulled there rather than the skirt shape.
    Ultimately I might just have to get over myself ... The dress is beautiful and I felt lovely in it (mostly, it's also too big so a bit difficult to see exactly how it will all fit and sit on me) Thanks
  • R
    • Hide content

When you say 'too big' do you mean that it is a size or two too big? Or that the skirt is very big. You can sometimes slim down a skirt by taking out some of the underlayers. It won't make it fitted, but it will make it less puffy and more flowy.

Can you post a photo of it (without identifying yourself of course!) Maybe having some random opinions might help?

• M
    Miss ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Dress regret?? 1Front of dress

• M
    Miss ·
    • Hide content
    Dress regret?? 2
    Back of dress
  • M
    Miss ·
    • Hide content
    There's no underlayers, it's a heavy satin material, one very light weight underskirt/lining underneath. It's a size 16 and I'm a 12-14 and the dress is a size 16 "high street" not "bridal" so is a bit big and I'd like to slim down to a comfy size 12 before the day
  • M
    Miss ·
    • Hide content
    Dress regret?? 3
    Ignoring the top part, the skirt part of this dress is more the shape I was thinking
  • R
    • Hide content

It's a beautiful dress and really suits you, and I think you will feel better about it once it is altered to fit you - don't forget there is a lot of spare material pooling around you in that picture, much of which would be removed when it was shortened to fit you. You could also consider having the train cut off if you preferred the simpler look, since I think it's probably that rather than the a-line which is making you feel it is too big and 'weddingy'. It would be possible to have a little of the fullness taken out of the skirt if you wanted to make it a slimmer a-line silhouette, but I wouldn't try turning it into a mermaid. The alterations would cost so much that you'd be far better off selling it for what you can and buying an actual mermaid dress if this is the route you decide to go down. (Plus you might find that the bodice looks odd on top of a mermaid skirt since it was designed for an a-line)

I think you would look stunning in this dress (as it is, or with no train) on your wedding day, but if you're not happy with it, there's no harm in trying on a few more styles before deciding whether or not to stick with the dress you have.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics