Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner December 2009

Dress shop recs for Glasgow/Edinburgh areas

amee, 24 July, 2009 at 12:48 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hello

Will be travelling up to Glasgow at the end of September to look for outfits for myself, bridesmaid and my mum and was hoping to have some recs of where to visit.

We will be staying in Glasgow but are willing to travel to to surrounding areas and poss through to Edinburgh if we can find the right shop.

Not just limiting the search to bridal shops, more than happy to look at those who stock evening dresses etc as may opt for something a bit different.

Any suggestions greatly received!

Thanks

Amee

x

9 replies

Latest activity by amee, 28 July, 2009 at 13:07
  • debbydoo
    Beginner May 2009
    debbydoo ·
    • Hide content

I got my dress from Sarah Louise Bridal, in Glasgow city centre. I also tried a few dresses on in June Brides in Glasgow, I thought the girls in there were great. HTH

• ebee
    Beginner January 2008
    ebee ·
    • Hide content

Debenhams and monsoon in the city have a good range of off the peg stuff, also Eleganza Sposa and Angelique Lamont are in the city centre ? (Mind you it's been 5 years since I've got married so not sure what they're like now!!)

• mothership
    mothership ·
    • Hide content

I can recommend Butterflies in Edinburgh, it's in the Grassmarket,v ery central and lots of quirky shops. It's a smaller boutique and very friendly. They also do bridesmaid, ballgowns, evening dresses (perhaps for mother of brides. etc). They were most accommodating to us. SIL was my BM and flew in from Australia 2 weeks before the wedding. She went to Butterflies, found the perfect dress and they did the alterations within a week (I'd left it entirely up to her about what she wore, I just paid). Not sure if that's the norm or whether they were just doing us a favour.

Emma Roy is the well known boutique in the East End, just by St James Centre. I have to say my experience there wasn't great although I'm sure they have an army of happy customers. The saleswomen were mostly harrassed and impatient. They squished me around in dresses and didn't give me much discretion when I was dressing/undressing. Obviously great dresses but the service wasn't there for me and I felt rushed the whole time.

Caroline Castigliano is just up the road on the main road (Calton Road?). I didn't go in but it's very swish indeed.

All three are very close to the Waverley Station. You could come to Edinburgh and make a day of it?

*sigh* I've not been here (on Planning) for donkeys and it's bringing it all back to me. I married in August 2005. memorieeeees, lalalala

ETA - I've not been in Edinburgh city centre for years so all the above may actually be nonsense now ?

• Ms Nic
    Beginner May 2010
    Ms Nic ·
    • Hide content

I was away dress shopping last week & can totally rec Opus Couture (its in West Kilbride - a wee train jump from glasgow)... It has another shop accross the road Opus Occasions for MOTB stuff too!...

Staff are fabby & helpful! ?

• Kirstin
    Beginner September 2010
    Kirstin ·
    • Hide content

Another recommendation for June Bride here. The girls are really lovely and helpful!

• QueenBee
    Beginner November 2008
    QueenBee ·
    • Hide content

I'd recommend a train trip of an hour or so and go to cupar in fife. aliya rose is a bridal store owned by 3 hitchers and its where i got my dress.

I would recommend them to anyone as they made my dress buying experience, 1st class and they have the most beautiful dresses to choose from. they are honest and will tell you if something suits or not.

please consider giving them a visit. you will be bowled over. (there is no pressure either to buy)

• AussieBride
    Beginner August 2009
    AussieBride ·
    • Hide content

I got my dress at Opus Couture in West Kilbride and have had an amazing experience with them - everything you hope you would get out of a bridal dress shopping experience ? They're about an hours train journey and a short walk through the town centre to the top of the hill. I also got my bridesmaid dresses from Angelique Lamont and they're gorgeous ?

All the best!!!! xxx

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

Another Aliya Rose fan here .... superb experience, beautiful (and usual) designers on the rails and the most fabulous owners! One stop shop for dresses and accessories as you have Aliya Rose, Diamond Star Halo and Starstruck Designs all in one place!

Well worth the trip. FYI, Cupar is about an hour from Waverley by train.... and is a lovely wee place to wander round too....

• penguin1977
    Beginner
    penguin1977 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Happy customer here!!! Emma Roy were great - I had no problems at all with them.

Eleganza Sposa is just around the corner on Waterloo Place too (just up from Castigliano).

• A
    Beginner December 2009
    amee ·
    • Hide content

Many thanks ladies, I shall start compiling the list properly now!!

Can't wait for Sept to come now!!

?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics