Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner May 2022 Cornwall

Dress shopping

Lisa, 12 of March of 2021 at 09:05 Posted on Planning 0 9
Hi, I am getting married in May 2022 but have no idea where to start with dress shopping. I dont want to pay a fortune for a dress and I've seen some nice ones online but I have no idea what style suits me. Has anyone ever been to try on dresses in a shop to get an idea but then bought online? What do you say to the assistant? Feel really cheeky going to on dresses and having no intention of buying from a shop?

9 replies

Latest activity by Helen, 29 of May of 2021 at 08:56
  • Happypinkconfetti2338
    Savvy May 2022 West Midlands
    Happypinkconfetti2338 ·
    • Hide content
    Congratulations! I’m also getting married in May 2022 Smiley smile
    I think the assistants in the shop will be used to people trying on dresses and not buying one straight away. I think it’s quite common for people to go away and have a think about the dresses after they’ve tried some on. So you could just say to the assistant that you want some time to go away and think, and then purchase online if that’s what you want to do.
    Good luck!
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

There's no guarantee you'll find a dress you like in the shop anyway - it's common to visit more than one before making a choice.

An alternative would be to order a few from mail order companies that do returns. I ordered 4 online in total before finding the right one. Many companies do free returns over a certain amount (usually one wedding dress will be over that amount)

• Meganrose
    Beginner April 2023 Suffolk
    Meganrose ·
    • Hide content
    I definitely want to go and try some on before I commit! I know what I like but don’t have a clue what suits me! Assistants can’t pressure you into buying... I think just be honest and say you’re not ready to make a decision yet. I love looking on Still White for second hand dresses and several of my friends have bought dresses from Wed2Be which is discounted! Can’t wait to try dresses! Good luck searching! ❤️
  • Stina
    Beginner May 2021 Kent
    Stina ·
    • Hide content
    I bought mine from Catherine Dean, they do lovely ones that are more simple and less expensive, they also have sales which you can get a 1k dress for 300 so worth keeping an eye on. They seem to do virtual stylist meetings now I think if that helps? Smiley smile
  • Fab
    Curious September 2021 Surrey
    Fab ·
    • Hide content
    I got mine on Etsy, I genuinely love the look but even with custom measurements I did at home it still was a bit too baggy - so depending on the fit and style I would suggest to get it a bit earlier to accommodate alterations!
  • Rhiannon
    Curious July 2022 Dorset
    Rhiannon ·
    • Hide content
    Hiya I’ve booked two dress appointments for then the boutiques open April. I get married July 2022 and have no idea what suits me but I love the mermaid dress style. I’m going to try on dresses next month and see how I feel.
    I’m going to go to a few boutiques and try on different styles. I’m going to try and not buy the first dress I fall in love with haha
  • Louise
    Savvy September 2021 Cheshire
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    I actually only went to one shop, although I did intend to go to more,as I found the perfect dress! The dress I picked was one of the sale ones in the shop so was much less than the full price ones. Only thing with them is that there has to be one available in your size as you can't order a different size. It was well worth trying on some of the full price dresses to check how different styles looked though!
  • Helen
    Beginner December 2021 Merseyside
    Helen ·
    • Hide content
    I went to one little boutique and found a stunning dress that was so different from the norm and I fell in love with it, but it was so way over my price range. So I went with my mum to a place called Wed2be, they have places all over the country and their thing is that all their dresses are under £600. They have everything you need there. I got my dress, underskirt and veil etc, all in one go. Oh and my dress has pockets! They also gave me a list of recommended seamstresses who also don't charge a fortune. I have an appointment with them for October!
  • Helen
    Beginner December 2021 Merseyside
    Helen ·
    • Hide content
    Oh and I totally recommend trying on dresses, because I was looking online and the style I thought was exactly what I wanted was not what I liked when I actually tried it on. I mean I liked it, but I also felt it made my stomach look big when I moved and in the end I got something totally different! Try all different styles!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics