Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Inspyre
Beginner August 2016

Dress shopping, dress regret and tears! (Mega flash!)

Inspyre, 23 of July of 2015 at 11:56 Posted on Planning 0 17

I posted last week or so about going dress shopping with my mum and BM and being a bit concerned about their reactions.

I loved the dress I already had (especially with a petticoat and sash on) and it felt very me, but neither my mum nor my BM we overly keen because it wasn't floor length or bridal enough!

Here is my original choice (also FH and I chose this one together, he has been very much involved in these things and his opinion on what I wear on the day is important to me)

I knew that I was potentially letting myself in for finding a new dress, and I said all along to FH, BM and my mum that if I found a dress where I felt like my world would end if I couldn't wear it on my wedding day I would buy it.

So we picked a few dresses and a few were massive disasters (no pictures unfortunately!) Beautiful dresses but nothing that wowed any of us on my figure.

It was a factory outlet so we weren't expecting much if any help from the staff but actually the lady helping me in and out of dresses used to work in a conventional bridal shop and was AMAZING! She kept nipping out to get other dresses that she thought were similar or that I would like and changing sizes etc. We were only meant to try on 4 at a time but I must have tried on about 8-10 at this point.

Then she brought out a dress. It wasn't on the rails because it was a new shipment so we hadn't seen it, and if I had have seen it I wouldn't have tried it on anyway.

I thought it looked good on, and my BM and mum were making all the right noises haha, then out came the tiara and veil!

And that was it. My mum was nearly in tears and I had never felt so beautiful in all my life!

We tried on a few extra dresses to make sure, here a few no's! Beautiful dresses but not for me.

So after a good 15 minutes of talking myself in and out of buying it I did!

All was well until I was driving home from my mums that night. I had had a lot of pressure from them both about not showing FH. Apparently him not seeing the dress beforehand is the whole point of the wedding. Guess I missed that memo because I thought it was about marrying the person I loved but nevermind that!

I got really anxious and felt like I had had nobody to talk through buying the dress with. Mum and BM were obviously keen for me to get it, but I suddenly felt like I had rushed the decision and had never felt so alone in making a decision in my entire life. I came and cried on and off for hours.

So I showed FH the dress. He loved the back (Yay!) but really did not like the way the lace splits at the front (ah ☹️ ). We tried the dress on again at home, and moved the lace further to the sides to see what that looked like.

And it looks even better than before! ?

Unfortunately I didn't think to get a picture of this but the smooth fall of the sating skirt looks so elegant and the lace drapes beautifully at the sides so I'm really hoping a seamstress will be able to pin it like that!

So all is well again in the land of wedding dresses and I'm super happy about my dress and cannot wait to wear it down the aisle next year!

Bonus flash of the amazing back!

17 replies

Latest activity by Happy Polly, 25 of July of 2015 at 11:13
  • MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

BEAUTIFUL!! I LOVE IT!! Smiley smile

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

Some lovely dresses there. Would never have thought the back of your dress was like that it's lovely.

Glad you are happy with your decision and thanks for sharing ☺

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Glad you found something you're happy with, it's a stunning dress and you look great. It was not worth making yourself upset over so I think you did the right thing in showing your oh and I'm sure on the day with all your hair and makeup done he will be wowed with the full effect.

To me though the dress is about making me feel amazing and not about what my oh thinks!

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

Don't get me wrong - your first dress is lovely - but the second dress definitely has the WOW factor and looks fab on you!

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

The dress is beautiful! Really lovely wedding dress!!

I don't get the obsession with not showing the dress to the groom either, I am really not that bothered. But my OH refuses to even entertain the idea of seeing the dress, or indeed, the dress in the white bag I have been storing it in.

His mum is also adamant that he is not to see the dress until the wedding - although she doesn't get why he doesn't even wanna see it when it's in the bag. We will have to get my dress from the wedding shop on the Friday before our Monday wedding, right before or after getting our schedule from the registrar's so he will just have to get over it. :p

• Inspyre
    Beginner August 2016
    Inspyre ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone Smiley smile

I love the dress, but think I will definitely change out of it for at the restaurant after the ceremony! I won't fit in the room!

Planning on wearing the first dress for during the meal, then switching back for the reception so the evening guests can see the new dress!

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

Bless you, it seems like you spent an awful lot of time worrying about everyone else's opinion of the dress! I'm so glad you found not one, but two that you are happy with, both are beautiful ? x

• Kamila27
    Beginner April 2016
    Kamila27 ·
    • Hide content

WOW! I have to say it suits you much better than your original one (sorry!). It is a truly beautiful dress.

I like... no, I LOVE your attitude towards the prejudice about not showing a dress to your FH. Not that I would do the same, but I like that you don't care about it and take his opinion into account.

Does this dress come in other sizes? It looks too expensive for me (not asking you about the price, it's none of my business) but seeing the dress I'm starting thinking about trying some more dresses before making decision.

(oh, I keep scrolling up to see the dress again and again).

• F
    Beginner August 2016
    FutureMrsMarshall ·
    • Hide content

It's amazing! And I love that you showed it to your fiance because that's what you wanted. Don't let anyone tell you what you have to do just because it's tradition anymore! ?

• S
    Beginner September 2016
    Shikaka1984 ·
    • Hide content

Your dress is beautiful. The detailing is stunning.

I'm glad that you have found one you love and feel great in.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Goodness, you went through the mill, but I'm glad you love it! It's gorgeous. I had a bridesmaid dress with the same sort of waist detail, it looks great.

• Inspyre
    Beginner August 2016
    Inspyre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I got it from an outlet so it really wasn't that expensive. My budget only went to £450 anyway! It's from a plus size range, starts at a 16, however this dress barely fit me and it was a 20, I'm a high street 16/18! If you're a size 12 or higher I'd say it might be worth looking at. It's a La Prima dress from Wed2b outlet stores.

• Kellym81
    Beginner October 2016
    Kellym81 ·
    • Hide content

Your second dress is beautiful!! I'd be wearing it ALL day ?

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

I have to say that the new dress is absolutely stunning. There is something really special about it!

I could never have shown my husband my dress before the wedding. Not because of any tradition or bad luck but because he is so critical goodness what he would have made me wear! Kudos to your husband to be helping you out on the styling.

• jayannfernandez
    jayannfernandez ·
    • Hide content

Nice!!!

• Kamila27
    Beginner April 2016
    Kamila27 ·
    • Hide content

OMG! That's the same company I visited! I didn't recognise it! Probably different store anyway. I was going to visit again some time soon so I'll check if they have La Prima in my size range (I'm 8/10 but with 'bridal'sizes you never know).

Yes, they are surprisingly cheap, even less than £200 if you're lucky. Now I'm even more convinced to stick to plan A and keep checking their stock Smiley tongue

• P
    Beginner September 2016
    Poppin ·
    • Hide content

I got my dress from there! I only went so I could have a try of different styles and to get ideas. The girl who helped me was brilliant. X

• H
    Beginner October 2015
    Happy Polly ·
    • Hide content

Oohh I like a good dress story! Your final dress is absolutely perfect. My family also hated my first simple number. I got it from the sale rack and I loved it but mum being the ringleader on this one, loved the sparkly Lacey number that cost 4 times! She loved it so much that she paid for it. It took me months to stop mourning the first dress. Even now I think about it but I can understand why they loved the Lacey one. It is also stunning.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics